Most Competitive Club Class Ship

Old April 3rd 20, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Most Competitive Club Class Ship

Hello Guys, with the present handicaps, whats the most competitive ship for Club class competition? Does the Cirrus still have the edge?
Dan
Old April 3rd 20, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 12:44:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello Guys, with the present handicaps, whats the most competitive ship for Club class competition? Does the Cirrus still have the edge?
Dan

Whatever ship Sarah decides to fly.

T8
Old April 3rd 20, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 12:44:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello Guys, with the present handicaps, whats the most competitive ship for Club class competition? Does the Cirrus still have the edge?
Dan

Where do you fly? Different "most competitive" in different areas.
Old April 3rd 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan, looking for the overall ship. I fly east coast so yeh the “floaters” are gonna have a slight edge. Same goes for “runners” in strong western conditions. Overall, it looks like the Cirrus does/scores pretty well in both situations.
Dan
Old April 3rd 20, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

At the FAI level it seems like it used to be Cirrus or Libelle, but then they changed the handicap and now its ASW-20.

Using US handicaps it seems to be Discus 2 or LS-8. At least you have the option of being competitive in 2 classes that way

I still like my Cirrus!
Old April 3rd 20, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Tony, thats what I was looking for. I love the libelle but though there are some exceptional libelle drivers out there, it seems they just can’t get high up there with the tasking and the present assigned handicap. It looks like the asw20 is the way to go. I can’t afford the discus or the 8 lol. How does the asw19 stack up?
Dan
Old April 3rd 20, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 1:58:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks Tony, thats what I was looking for. I love the libelle but though there are some exceptional libelle drivers out there, it seems they just can’t get high up there with the tasking and the present assigned handicap. It looks like the asw20 is the way to go. I can’t afford the discus or the 8 lol. How does the asw19 stack up?
Dan

Mid range, like '19, LS-4, maybe Discus, is a good place to be. Lower performance ships have a slight following advantage, but not quite as much range..
Keep in mind that Std in the US has limited handicapping so something like an LS-4 or Discus, or ASW-24 can be competitive in Std, Club, and Sports. 3 classes with one ship.
FWIW
UH
Old April 3rd 20, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks UH, right now I am selling a couple of my restorations and looking to convert the cash into another bird I can do some racing with. I’m gonna keep going with the 1-26 scene, thats my first live, but I think its time to also jump into another class. We only have the one single 1-26 competition each year and the group of guys is slowly dwindling. Even though we do have some new folks jumping in and I am doing my best to ingender new life into the group, the writing is kinda on the wall for us as well as the entire soaring community (diminishing).

So that being said, I need to enjoy as much as I can while contest flying still exists. I would have loved to have seen the 13m take off, but since its not, at least here in the states, I guess Club class is the place to go since I can’t justify the hundreds of thousands it takes to play with the big boys.
Old April 3rd 20, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 3:23:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 1:58:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks Tony, thats what I was looking for. I love the libelle but though there are some exceptional libelle drivers out there, it seems they just can’t get high up there with the tasking and the present assigned handicap. It looks like the asw20 is the way to go. I can’t afford the discus or the 8 lol. How does the asw19 stack up?
Dan

Mid range, like '19, LS-4, maybe Discus, is a good place to be. Lower performance ships have a slight following advantage, but not quite as much range.
Keep in mind that Std in the US has limited handicapping so something like an LS-4 or Discus, or ASW-24 can be competitive in Std, Club, and Sports. 3 classes with one ship.
FWIW
UH

SZD-55 as well for the East.
Old April 3rd 20, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 12:44:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello Guys, with the present handicaps, whats the most competitive ship for Club class competition? Does the Cirrus still have the edge?
Dan

Dan, I would go with the ASW24