Tow Signals

Old October 11th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Tow Signals

There had been yet another fatality recently as a result of
misinterpreting the open spoilers signal. True we all passed the
written test and know that wiggeling the rudder means check spoilers
and rocking the wings means release, yet so many students and
experienced pilots alike continiue to confuse this signal and releasing
the tow rope instead, often resulting in accidents. It is not hard to
understand why: The tow plane barely climb, the glider pilot suspects
something must be wrong with the tow plane, then he/she sees the rudder
signal which confirms his thought that something is wrong, then
releases the tow rope in panic, since this is what we were taught to do
if something is wrong with the tow plane.
I think that there is a relatively simple solution for this:
1 - If radio is available (and it always should) - use it instead of
the rudder signal!
2 - If this doesn't doesn't work, the signal should be avoided until
the glider is at least 200
feet, unless of course, the tow plane is in immediate danger.
3 - If the glider pilot sees the tow plane signaling something (wigling
the rudder or rocking the wings)
the FIRST look at the spoilers, then release the tow rope if necessary.
In this case, the pilot will do the correct action regardless of the
signal. I think this is what needs to be taught.

I am not an instructor myself, so this is just my humble opinion...

Ramy

Old October 11th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

Ramy,

I feel it is almost certain more accidents will occur in the confusion
of these important tow signals. I agree with you that it would be best
for the tow pilot to try the radio first if the "situation" allows for
it.

In an effort to help students keeps these signals straight ... I teach
the rudder wag as a visual metaphor(?) for being slapped in the face...
as in "WAKE UP!!!" and I repeat it every time signals are discussed or
practiced in flight. So far so good....

Curt Lewis - 95
Genesis 2
CFIG

Old October 12th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

how many instructors coordinate with their tow pilot to give a rudder wag at
200ft AGL..
and then watch what happens.. after appropriate ground school in a previous
lesson of course..

and then.. on another lesson day.. coordinates for a wave off at 300ft?
and a good tow pilot might reduce power with the wave off or maybe start a
gradual descent?

so many times.. I've had the tow pilot pull a close in down wind turn..
briefed of course.. never get above 500ft AGL and then start the wave off..
the student or rated pilot on a flight review does not realize that the
pattern IS NOT NORMAL... what's going on.. and then... ohh.. he wants me to
get off.. and then takes his sweet time doing it.. granted.. if all appears
well.. make sure you are in a safe place to get off tow.. but if things did
not look normal before.. that should have been the earlier clue to be ready
for something.

BT

Old October 12th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

BT wrote:
[...]

BT,

I couldn't agree with you more - many instructors let students get all
the way to their rating without the above sorts of "dirty tricks".
This is unacceptable.

Three that I always do:

- Towpilot begins to slowly throttle back (simulating loss of power
due to any number of reasons) at a pre-arranged altitude of about
500-700 AGL without a waveoff. In real-life, this is exactly what
might happen in the event of a non-catastrophic towplane problem while
the towpilot tries to figure out "what the ***". What does the
student do? Most will watch as the inevitable slack line develops and
we begin to transition from positive rate of climb to descent. About
20% figure out something is wrong and release while they still have
time to make a reasonable pattern and landing. When towpilot
finally gives the wave off MOST of the remainder are already on a high
enough alert level that they release immediately. A few freeze.

- Towpilot gives the rudder waggle at altitude (always above a safe
glide to the airport). Most do the right thing. A few either a)
release or b) ask me "what's he doing."

- This last one is "fun", though it isn't really a tow signal per se.
I admit that it's a hassle, but it can be a great learning tool. I
will have the towpilot plan on a particularly slow acceleration and a
marginal liftoff well down the field. All the while, I'll be asking
the student "does this feel right"? I will then pull the release (if
student hasn't already) and land straight ahead. The discussion that
ensues is along the lines of : a) Hey, it's your neck on the line.
b) Don't trust the towpilot blindly - maybe he's got a problem and has
forgotten about you. c) The trees at the end of the runway won't care
whose fault it was when you impact them 20 feet below the tops.
Caution: This requires careful coordination and briefing with the
towpilot, an ample length of remaining runway, coordination with other
traffic, etc. etc. I'll admit that not every student of mine has been
through this, though we do have the discussion.

Anyway, I think a lot of people get through training without these and
other dirty tricks, and it's a shame.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Old October 12th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Papa3 wrote:
BT wrote:
[...]

This is very interesting subject....preflight check? Brakes closed and
locked? Now, this leads me to another point of this subject...how many
pilots are taking off with their brakes open because it "helps them
achieve faster aileron response" ? And then how many pilots are taking
off in flapped gliders with negative flaps? Now imagine combination of
negative flaps and open brakes right on the take off. Isn't that a
recipe for disaster? How often ? I don't know exact number but I see it
very frequently. And the most amazing part of that is that the
instructors are teaching it this way. When I asked about it, I never
got a straight answer but everybody is saying "it must be done that
way". O really?

Jacek
CFI-G
Washington State

Old October 12th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

Now, this leads me to another point of this subject...how many
pilots are taking off with their brakes open because it "helps them
achieve faster aileron response" ? And then how many pilots are taking
off in flapped gliders with negative flaps?

Jacek, you have to make a distinction here between "taking off" and
starting the take off roll.To answer your question, I would say that
most pilots, when operating an older ship with a CG hook in a crosswind
will use spoilers or negative flap until they get some roll
authority.Another thing to consider is with ships like the ASW20 the
ailerons droop and rise with the flaps.This makes a HUGE difference on
the roll control at slow speeds.It is spelled out in the P.O.H. and
therefore it is considered normal operating procedure.

Isn't that a
recipe for disaster? How often ? I don't know exact number but I see it
very frequently. And the most amazing part of that is that the
instructors are teaching it this way.

Instructors are required to teach compliance with the POH, so I would
say this is perfectly normal.

Old October 13th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Papa3.. I like your third one..

now another... how many instructors pull the rope at about 20-30ft AGL..
just as the climb starts.. and watch the student try to go every which way
but straight ahead and land. Remember the mantra.. below 200ft land straight
ahead.

We have a long 3500ft runway, we stage about 500ft down the runway, the tow
is normally airborn with 1500ft remaining.. we have 600ft of gravel beyond
the paved portion, that is 2100ft to land on from 40ft AGL. I can pull the
rope at 20-40ft at the 1500ft remaining marker.. (cross taxi way).. a good
student will get it down and I'll have to coax him to let it roll to the end
so we can just turn around and tow out the opposite direction. I've had
other students looking for a place to go and I've had to take over.

Tow pilot may be briefed ahead.. but we have a standing rule.. if the tow is
airborne and feels a release.. the tow keeps going.. do not try to land...
your blocking the runway for the glider.. we also have about 150ft of good
landable grading beside the runway, whole length.

BT

"Papa3" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 13th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

What about tow plane aborts on the runway?

I had a tug pilot shut down and brake sharply to a stop right on the
centerline just after I had lifted off. It took some trick flying to avoid
hitting him. I thought this was one in a million until I saw it happen to
another glider pilot only a year later. In my case the tuggie suddenly
decided he didn't want to fly right then. In the other case, the tuggie
left the fuel cap off the Pawnee and gas was streaming onto the canopy.

Part of the "Emergency" pre-takeoff planning has to be about where to go if
the tug slams on the brakes. I'd think the tuggie should move as far to the
left as possible - even departing the runway to the left during an abort if
that is possible. AFAIK, runway aborts aren't addresed in tow pilot
training.

Bill Daniels

"BT" wrote in message
[...]

"Papa3" wrote in message