Central California to OSH

Old April 22nd 04, 12:23 AM
Javier Henderson

Default Central California to OSH

This might be FAQ #276, but it's a slow day...

Can we talk about routings from Central California to OSH? My Skylane
can drink mogas, 80/87 and 100LL, in that order of preference.

What is (are) your favorite route(s)?

-jav
Old April 22nd 04, 02:16 AM
Bob Fry

Javier Henderson writes:

Can we talk about routings from Central California to OSH? My Skylane
can drink mogas, 80/87 and 100LL, in that order of preference.

What is (are) your favorite route(s)?

I-80.

Don't expect to find much mogas or 80/87 east of California.
Old April 22nd 04, 12:44 PM
Jay Honeck

Don't expect to find much mogas or 80/87 east of California.

??? I've got it! :-)

And the airport just to our south (MUT) has it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 04, 09:00 PM
Jack Allison

Jav,

Jim Weir can point you to the mogas stops from our area to OSH. If you
google, you should be able to find a thread from last year where I exchanged
route questions with him.

Last year, we flew a 172SP so needed 100ll. Gas stops were WMC, RWL (stayed
1st night in Rawlins), ANW, FLD (stayed 2nd night in Fon du Lac). Planned
route was LHM BLU FMG LLC WMC BAM EKO ENV BVL OGD EVW FBR RKS OCS CKW RWL
MBW EAN BFF AIA ANW ONL YKN SPW MCW DEH UKN LNR FLD OSH. Only deviation on
the way there was out of ANW, had to head north (completely missed
Iowa...sorry Jay) due to some weather.

If I was flying from LHM again this year, I'd probably plan pretty much the
same route. However, we'll be heading out from Bend, Oregon this year so
will be another 100 nm north pretty much the whole way. A chance to see
some different parts of the country.

Hope this helps.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old April 22nd 04, 09:54 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Don't expect to find much mogas or 80/87 east of California.

??? I've got it! :-)

And the airport just to our south (MUT) has it.

Run it through the flight planning link at AirNav:
http://www.airnav.com/plan/fuel/

Old April 23rd 04, 07:26 AM
Jim Weir

Sacramento to Reno via I-80 across Truckee and then through the Verdi Gap. Reno
to Lovelock and then Battle Mountain direct if you've got the altitude, and the
airways dogleg if you don't. Battle Mountain to Elko, and then either the
northern route to Ogden via Wells and Lucin or the southern route over Salt Lake
via Wendover.

Gas stop: Morgan County UT (just east of the Joseph Pass through the Wasatch).
Wonderful little airport, lots of soaring going on and MOGAS. Hint...check when
the Mormon holiday (Founder's Day? Pioneer Day???) around that time of year is
so you don't get snookered at the airport waiting to retrieve somebody from the
next town over to pump gas for you.

Thence IFF (I Follow Freeways) climbing out of Morgan County to Eavenston, Ft.
Bridger, Rock Springs, Rawlins, Medicine Bow, and into Alliance for MOGAS.
Great little town, they have an old clunker courtesy car, but they DO have a
courtesy car. Check out autohenge (stonehenge built with wrecked autos) just
west of town. I sort of figure if I can get to Alliance the first day, I've
done my job.

Thence one of two paths. The more direct path over northern Nebraska, northern
Iowa, southern Minnesota, and so into Wisconsin. The less direct path if
weather clobbers you into South Dakota or North Dakota, central Minnesota, and
into Oshkosh by the northern door.

Either one has some really great things to see...

Southern Route: Emmetsburg IA has mogas and some really nice people. You can
drop a little further south and visit Jay and Mary's hotel in Iowa City where
Jay HIS-SELF will take you down to the local mogas emporium for a good load of
that motion lotion. Then on the next morning to Portage WI where they also have
mogas PLUS free steamed brats from 8 in the morning on all day..

Northern Route: Not much to recommend it, but Crystal (Minneapolis) USED to
have mogas. Albert Lea has mogas. Pipestone has mogas and some really neat
Native American museums.

Airnav.com, of course, can give you all your options, but this ng can probably
tell you what stops are good and what stops to avoid.

Right now, I only have two "avoids". Gordon (northern Nebraska) has mogas but
is a royal pain in the labonza. Avoid. Philip SD *used* to be an absolutely
wonderful stop, but the city fathers fired the airport person because they
thought they could make more money running it themselves. They screwed it up
royally. Avoid.

Jim

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old April 23rd 04, 04:07 PM
Javier Henderson

Jim Weir writes:

(... a very detailed routing ...)

Excellent.

This Jay person you speak of, is he a frequent poster, I wonder? Hm. The
name sounds somewhat familiar. I will have to look him up.

Thanks for the advice on the routing!

-jav
Old April 24th 04, 01:48 PM
Jay Honeck

This Jay person you speak of, is he a frequent poster, I wonder? Hm. The
name sounds somewhat familiar. I will have to look him up.

Jav, if you're not here for the pool party, I *will* find your plane at OSH,
and personally pee in your tanks...

;-)

Of course, if this occurs after drinking that stuff Montblack brought last
year, your 182 will probably run better, and more cleanly...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA