Airspeed of military planes

Old January 24th 04, 08:38 PM
S. Sampson

"Tony Volk" wrote

Hi Susan. I don't know if I've just missed your previous posts or not,
but I'm not familiar with your military career, and it'd be interesting to
hear from another military pilot in these parts. So what did you fly? For
how long? Cheers,

I think she meant she was a civilian interacting with the federal boys.

Old January 24th 04, 09:18 PM
John R Weiss

"Glenn Westfall" wrote...
I'm an Air Force Air Traffic Controller and am currently working in
Okinawa, Japan. We have F-15's here at Kadena and it is not uncommon
for them to come back well above 400 Kts below 10,000.

How far out over the water does the 250-below-10 limit extend in Japan?

Old January 24th 04, 09:18 PM
John R Weiss

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote...

The airspeed limitation he's referring to is found in a Federal Aviation
Regulation, which is applicable only within the US.

However, similar rules are common in other countries as well.

Old January 24th 04, 09:22 PM
Frijoles

Sorry...actually its "Susan's husband." I was around r.a.m. occasionally
'til lightning strike on the house last September trashed the old desktop.
We just replaced it within the last month and I forgot to update the
newsgroup i.d. I'm an active duty Marine aviator.

Old January 24th 04, 09:32 PM
Darrell

If the "Dash One" manual for the military airplane specifies a speed higher
than 250 below 10,000' it's OK to fly that fast. In the B-58 Hustler, after
takeoff we came out of afterburners at 350 KIAS and climbed at 425 KIAS
until reaching Mach .90 for climb speed. That's why other aircraft try to
stay clear of military climb corridors. We flew low level routes at 435
KIAS except for the high speed portion where we flew at 600 KIAS. (and
that's back in the 1960s)

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

"Tetsuji Rai" wrote in message
s.com...
Airspeed limitation below 10000ft is usually 250kts unless you have been
authorized by the Administrator. However I guess it's a bit slow for
military fighters. So I am curious how fast military fighters fly in the
real world. I guess it's very dangerous military aircraft fly much fast
among civilian planes.

Old January 24th 04, 09:38 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Darrell" wrote in message

If the "Dash One" manual for the military airplane specifies a speed

higher
than 250 below 10,000' it's OK to fly that fast. In the B-58 Hustler,

after
takeoff we came out of afterburners at 350 KIAS and climbed at 425 KIAS
until reaching Mach .90 for climb speed. That's why other aircraft try

stay clear of military climb corridors. We flew low level routes at 435
KIAS except for the high speed portion where we flew at 600 KIAS. (and
that's back in the 1960s)

I believe military climb corridors ceased being charted in the sixties as
well.

Old January 24th 04, 09:49 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:38:18 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

I believe military climb corridors ceased being charted in the sixties as
well.

And, even then they were almost exclusively related to active air
defense scrambles. I entered military aviation in 1964 and operated
until 1987 and never, not even once flew a tactical jet in a "military
climb corridor."

We flew published departure routes, later we flew SIDs, we flew
published approaches, we operated in special use airspace including
restricted areas and MOAs, we operated along low level routes, etc.

We went fast a lot, too.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old January 24th 04, 10:01 PM
S. Sampson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote

I believe military climb corridors ceased being charted in the sixties as
well.

There was a climb corridor out of Mt. Home well into the 80's. Don't
know if it still exists. I seem to recall it being south-westerly, but the
eyesight is the first to go, and I can't remember what the second thing was...

Old January 24th 04, 10:36 PM
John Gaquin

"Frijoles" wrote in message news:rmBQb.23275

..... I'm an active duty Marine aviator.

Thank you.

JG

Old January 24th 04, 10:39 PM
Darkwing Duck

"Tetsuji Rai" wrote in message
s.com...
Airspeed limitation below 10000ft is usually 250kts unless you have been
authorized by the Administrator. However I guess it's a bit slow for
military fighters. So I am curious how fast military fighters fly in the
real world. I guess it's very dangerous military aircraft fly much fast
among civilian planes.

So how fast is short final in a F-14 or whatever? Always wanted to know.