No more Bishop aerotows with Rod

Old March 5th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HoUdino

Default No more Bishop aerotows with Rod

I s/w Rod at Hangar One in Bishop. He will definitely no longer be
towing sailplanes. He has let his insurance expire and is selling of
his aircraft collection.

An end of an era?

HoUdino
Old March 6th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hellman

I fly a motorglider, but used Rod for oxygen when I landed there. It
was the only place I knew that could fill my bottle to its 3000 psi
limit, but it was wise to have lunch while his pump worked away,
seemingly one psi at a time and with a loud noise with each cycle of
the piston ( a couple of seconds per cycle if memory serves me). I
enjoyed my time at Bishop and Hangar One and will miss him.

Martin
Old March 7th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Claffey

Pump???????
Are you sure you were getting Oxygen and not compressed
air????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If so you might have real problems.
Tom

Old March 7th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Mar 6, 6:45*pm, Tom Claffey wrote:
Pump???????
Are you sure you were getting Oxygen and not compressed
air????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*!
If so you might have real problems.
Tom

At 22:57 06 March 2009, Hellman wrote:

I fly a motorglider, but used Rod for oxygen when I landed there. It
was the only place I knew that could fill my bottle to its 3000 psi
limit, but it was wise to have lunch while his pump worked away,
seemingly one psi at a time and with a loud noise with each cycle of
the piston ( a couple of seconds per cycle if memory serves me). I
enjoyed my time at Bishop and Hangar One and will miss him.

Martin- Hide quoted text -

It's a compressed air actuated piston pump that will deliver very high
pressure oxygen to YOUR cylinder from a not-so-high pressure supply
cylinder. I routinely get 2200 psi fills even when our supply bottle
is down to 400 psi. It's a very clever (if expensive and not quick)
device that uses shop air acting on a large piston which drives a
small piston pump to compress the oxygen. The shop air and oxygen
never touch each other.
Old March 7th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

I watched a similar pump do its job during a hydrostatic test I was
monitoring. The input was regular water line pressure of 100 psi, the
output went up to 100,000 psi. We got a leak at 76,000 psi that dumped
the pressure to 10,000 psi in less than 10 mS - no water in the test
chamber, but it sure was hot!

-John

On Mar 6, 9:57 pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
It's a compressed air actuated piston pump that will deliver very high
pressure oxygen to YOUR cylinder from a not-so-high pressure supply
cylinder. I routinely get 2200 psi fills even when our supply bottle
is down to 400 psi. It's a very clever (if expensive and not quick)
device that uses shop air acting on a large piston which drives a
small piston pump to compress the oxygen. The shop air and oxygen
never touch each other.

NO TOWING IN BISHOP UNTIL AUG. 22 Go Soaring 0 August 14th 05 04:01 AM
Bishop, CA [email protected] Soaring 1 April 6th 05 10:33 PM
Cherokee 180 from Bay Area to Bishop (KBIH) ? Dave Jacobowitz Piloting 11 June 18th 04 05:57 PM
CG hook on aerotows -- the followup Ted Wagner Soaring 2 January 23rd 04 10:07 PM
Aerotows Dave Martin Soaring 0 January 8th 04 06:30 PM