Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 23rd 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

Kilo Charlie wrote:
"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message

Neither does the ASW 28 canopy. Starting with the ASH 26, Schleicher has
incorporated a Roeger hook or equivalent in it's gliders. I believe the
LS8 has also has one, or DG has made one available for it as a retrofit.
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

Not sure what a Roeger hook is but the LS-8 has a spring loaded mechanism at
the front of the canopy which releases and at the same time a clamp at the
back of the canopy that latches resulting in the canopy getting blown up at
the nose and over the back. Sounds like a much better way to exit than
anything else I've heard of.....other than an ejection seat of course!

From the DG website:

"To avoid these situations [canopy not ejecting properly] Prof. Roeger
of the Technical University Aachen many years ago invented a special
hook, since named for him. After the emergency release the hook turns on
the rear canopy frame and prevents it from moving back. The airstreams
flowing into the cockpit cannot escape and therefore lifts the canopy,
which rotates on the Roeger hook and forces the front of the canopy to
lift off and depart rearwards over the tail fin. Such a Roeger hook has
been a mandatory installation in all new sailplanes for some years.
Great, problem solved."

In addition, DG offers these "hooks" as for retrofit into their older
gliders, now including the LS series. Good for them! I urge all pilots
of older DG/LS gliders to install one soon - the cost for the kit is
less than 200 Euro, according to DG's website, and installation
relatively easy.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Discus 2b cockpit comfort? Jeremy Zawodny Soaring 11 January 12th 04 09:03 PM
[LBA] Schempp-Hirth - Discus bT - Discus Frederic FUCHS Soaring 0 September 17th 03 08:42 AM
All Czech built Discus grounded Paul Soaring 0 September 14th 03 02:22 AM
18m Discus Burt Compton Soaring 2 September 8th 03 10:52 AM
Discus Wing question John Galloway Soaring 6 August 23rd 03 07:52 AM