cost of panel upgrade on bonanza

Old October 24th 04, 12:31 AM
soxinbox

Default cost of panel upgrade on bonanza

I am getting ready to buy my first plane. I am considering an early 60s
bonanza or debonair. Some of these planes don't have a standard "six pack"
panel layout, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much this
would cost to upgrade. I probably would update the radios at the same time,
but I am really interested in the cost of the panel only.

Also does anyone know if there are any STC'ed conversions to a standard
power/prop/mixture quadrant for these older planes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old October 24th 04, 04:01 AM
Al Marzo

Expect to spend anywhere from about $5.5K for a piano keys up (Hammock
Aviation, Ennis, TX) conversion to about $8K (Air Research, Sandy
River , OR) for the full change. You'll have wiring and instrument
issues that you never thought of before. So maybe you should look at
P models and up, or planes that already had this conversion done.

Now with that said, I suggest yo do a bit more research and if a
Bonanza or Bonanza derivative (Debonair, the Bonanza look alike with
the Piper tail) is how you want to tell the world that you've arrived,
contact the American Bonanza Society (www.abs.org) and ask any
questions you can think of to the people who are the most
knowledgable about them and are always willing to help. You may very
easily purchase one that looks nice and clean and spend $20K on your
first annual, even after some schmuck A&P does a "prebuy".

Old October 24th 04, 05:28 AM
Matt Barrow

"soxinbox" wrote in message
. 166...
I am getting ready to buy my first plane. I am considering an early 60s
bonanza or debonair. Some of these planes don't have a standard "six pack"
panel layout, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much this
would cost to upgrade. I probably would update the radios at the same

time,
but I am really interested in the cost of the panel only.

Also does anyone know if there are any STC'ed conversions to a standard
power/prop/mixture quadrant for these older planes.

The cost would be commensurate with just going to a newer model Bonanza
would be my guess.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old October 24th 04, 10:38 PM
C Kingsbury

"soxinbox" wrote in message
. 166...
I am getting ready to buy my first plane. I am considering an early 60s
bonanza or debonair.

My first thought is, "don't."

Not because these can't be perfectly good airplanes, but rather because I've
found that airplane ownership is a complex business, and you're better off
learning with something simple. Why not a good Skylane? For the same money
you'll get a newer, likely lower-time bird, spend less on insurance and
maintenance. The only downside being speed, which is in the 20-40 knot range
depending on the two birds you're comparing. Do you need that extra speed or
do you just want it? You may notice that good 182s cost a lot, comparable to
or even exceeding Bonanzas, Mooneys, etc. that aren't all that much
older/higher-time. There's a reason for this: smart pilots look at the Total
Cost of Ownership. This is also why you can buy a big pressurized twin
cessna with all the toys for not a lot more than a nice Bo. Of course that
resale value will come back on the tail end, should you decide to step up.

Of course, if you have money coming out the wazoo, then airplane ownership
is easy. Find a decent mechanic (ask your type club) and when anything makes
a funny sound, take it to him, and hand over your wallet. Be prepared for
numbers that sound like the down payment on a car. If the thought of this
concerns you, best stay away from an early 60s Beech retract.

Some of these planes don't have a standard "six pack"
panel layout, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much this
would cost to upgrade. I probably would update the radios at the same

time,
but I am really interested in the cost of the panel only.

My rule of thumb here is to buy the plane you want, and upgrade the one you
have. The reason is that while you might spend $50k upgrading the panel,
you'll be lucky to get back more than $30k when you resell it. Let the
previous owner eat that depreciation. The only exception to this would be a
good plane with a high-time engine, because a much larger portion of the
money you spend on the engine will be retained as value. Of course, if you
already have a plane you like but just want newer radios, it can make sense
to upgrade because you'll own them long enough to get your money's worth.
But if you're buying the plane now, buy what you want the first time around.

Best,
-cwk.

Old October 24th 04, 11:23 PM
soxinbox

I've flow 172s and 182s, but prefer the low wings ( just my preferance).
I will be using this primarily for weekend getaways. In life I've found
that it is often the road you take, not where you go, that is most
important, but coffee house philosophy aside, I don't want to spend my
whole weekend getting somewhere just to turn around and come back, so I
want something that is resonably fast with a good range.

Your advice on the avionics is well headed. I am only going to keep this
plane until I get confortable enough to move up to a twin, so the resale
value is important. This intemediate plane is to keep me from being one
of those smoking holes in the ground that used to be someone who could
afford more plane than they could fly.

I am really looking for a TRUE four place plane ( useful load 1000) with
a 700 mile range, flip flop nav/coms, autopilot, gps, and modern six pack
panel. Without breaking the bank, this seams to be leading me to the
debonair. Problem is There are few planes with this combination, and so I
was seeing if it is feasable to not lose too much money on it.

. 166...

Old October 24th 04, 11:41 PM
Howard Nelson

"soxinbox" wrote in message
. 165...
[...]

In reference to previous replys. A Cessna 182 or Piper 235 (fixed gear) with
long range tanks might get you to your destination just as fast or nearly as
fast as a 165K plane with less range. The cost of ownership and resale for
these two planes has been very favorable (there is a reason for that). The
actual total time for a 600nm trip in a 135K aircraft vs 155K aircraft is
not that different (you spend a lot of the time getting to the airport,
range then you will get there first.
Howard
C182 (with long range tanks!)

---

Old October 25th 04, 02:25 AM

The older bonanza's panel are kind of sparce, but don't let that be a
factor whether or not to buy one.
If the airplane is a nice one and/or affordable one, why not buy it and
fly it as it is and worry about the panel later.

I own an older Bonanza and had the original panel for eight years before
i modified it.

The main reason that i made the panel modification is that I wanted the
speed sloped windshield, and if you were ever going to do a panel
modification, do it while the windshield is out!!!

I would have flown behind the original panel forever without the
windshield modification. It just seemed like a good thing to do.

If your mechanically inclined it could be a very nice winter project to
do it your self.
It's quite a bit of work to do the modification, but its a lot of fun.

Good luck in your endevor!!

Dave

Howard Nelson wrote:

. 165...

Old October 25th 04, 03:24 AM
Roger

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:31:52 GMT, soxinbox wrote:

I am getting ready to buy my first plane. I am considering an early 60s
bonanza or debonair. Some of these planes don't have a standard "six pack"
panel layout, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much this
would cost to upgrade. I probably would update the radios at the same time,
but I am really interested in the cost of the panel only.

Mine http://www.rogerhalstead.com/833R/833R_frame.htm has the non
standard T arrangement. I don't know if there's an STC but I've seen
a lot of them that have been changed. The non standard T can be a bit
confusing if you aren't used to it, but it sure is nice for partial
panel work. Another non standard, but nice feature is the air speed
indicator is CAS and not IAS. They ride the bumps very well but are
not at all forgiving if you get behind the airplane. They are
absolutely rudder only in stalls.

I understand it's an easy conversion to move the instruments. STC or
how cheap? I have no idea. I found mine easy to use so never bothered
changing it. One thing you will note is they have very poor panel
lighting for night flight. A good set of post lights or the new ring
lights would be a good investment.

If you crawl under the panel be prepared for a shock as a 40 to 45
year old airplane will probably look pretty ratty under there.

Most already have the radios upgraded to something more modern, but
may not have GPS. Mine was modern when I purchased it, but the old
KNS-80 RNAV is a tad outdated now. :-))

I've spent quite a few hours "in the soup" in mine.

If you have the chance the upgrade to the Deshannon Speed sloped
windshield (3/8" or 1/2") along with the 1/4 inch side windows is
worth the investment. You can fly in torrential rain and not hear it.

One thing you want in a Deb or Bo is a good autopilot if you plan on
any instrument work. " Mine has the S-tec 50 although I'd like to
have a 60. I've thought of having a certified enroute and approach GPS
installed, but so far I've stuck with the King Silver Crown stack and
use my Garmin 295. I like the new map anywhere and may just stick on
the yoke or top of the panel.

Look for one with the 260 (IO-470N). They are faster and use only a
little more gas.

Be sure to check the main spar carry through for cracks.
Check the throttle and prop cables for jacket integrity and ease of
operation. The jackets tend to get brittle and flake off leaving
them open to moisture, but this is true of most old airplanes.

Check for wrinkles up front, although they are not nose heavy and have
almost unbelievable elevator authority some do end up landing on the
nose gear. Landing book figures are shorter than a 172. Other than
the pattern entry they both fly the pattern close to the same speeds.
The Deb has a lot more momentum, is far slipperier, and has a higher
sink rate, but you almost have to try to make one float.

Also does anyone know if there are any STC'ed conversions to a standard
power/prop/mixture quadrant for these older planes.

They are standard, Everyone else is backwards. :-))

I learned in the Deb so anything else really is backwards to me. You
have to reach over to get the gear handle while the newer ones have it
right by your hand.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've put over a 1000 hours on mine and the maintenance has been quite
reasonable. A visit to a Bonanza service clinic is well worth the
cost as is the ABS/Air Safety Foundation Bonanza specific training.
Actually it would be worth joining the ABS if you are considering the
purchase of one. They are a wealth of information.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old October 25th 04, 03:43 AM
Roger

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:01:49 -0500, Al Marzo
wrote:

Expect to spend anywhere from about $5.5K for a piano keys up (Hammock

No one goes with the piano keys any more. Just conventional switches
which look a lot nicer.

Aviation, Ennis, TX) conversion to about $8K (Air Research, Sandy

Having the instruments moved to the conventional layout is a
relatively small job.

The complete new panel is about 8 grand and that is with all new
wiring.

\
River , OR) for the full change. You'll have wiring and instrument
issues that you never thought of before. So maybe you should look at

What issues? They are a mess under the panel, but I haven't seen any
old planes that aren't. Instruments are instruments. There isn't
that much to go wrong and they are relatively easy to get at. Note I
said *relatively* easy. One thing to remember is they do not have an
alternate static port which should be added.

P models and up, or planes that already had this conversion done.

Remember too that the straight tails do not have any speed
limitations. Like the V-tails though they do tend to have a higher
barf factor in the back seat.

Now with that said, I suggest yo do a bit more research and if a
Bonanza or Bonanza derivative (Debonair, the Bonanza look alike with
the Piper tail) is how you want to tell the world that you've arrived,

Ahhh... The Deb is the forerunner of the F-33 Bo. It definitely does
not have a piper tail. It did have the Travel air or military tail to
begin. Unfortunately all the Bo versions have Magnesium elevator
skins.

contact the American Bonanza Society (www.abs.org) and ask any
questions you can think of to the people who are the most
knowledgable about them and are always willing to help. You may very
easily purchase one that looks nice and clean and spend $20K on your
first annual, even after some schmuck A&P does a "prebuy".

I haven't spent that much on mine (on annuals) in over 10 years and I
take it to a Bo specialist and follow a progressive maintenance
program. Unfortunately he passed away last winter so now I need to
find a new mechanic.

After about 12 years the paint is getting to the point where it could
use some help. 45 years old and still less than 4000 hours TT and
I've put a third of them on it.

Going to an F-33 would raise the price to at least $140,000 while Debs
can be found from $60 and up in good shape, (less for those that could
use some help) but they are 40 to 45 year old airplanes. I'm seeing
Debs listed in the $80K to $100K plus range now. I keep thinking of
having a new panel installed and the avionics upgraded to state of the
art even though I'd never get the money back. It's just a great plane
to fly. Tip tanks give me about a 1200 mile range. (raises the total
gas on board to 100 gallons) if you can stand to sit there that long.

Old October 25th 04, 03:48 AM
Roger

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:28:30 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"soxinbox" wrote in message
.166...
I am getting ready to buy my first plane. I am considering an early 60s
bonanza or debonair. Some of these planes don't have a standard "six pack"
panel layout, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much this
would cost to upgrade. I probably would update the radios at the same

time,
but I am really interested in the cost of the panel only.

Also does anyone know if there are any STC'ed conversions to a standard
power/prop/mixture quadrant for these older planes.

The power/mix/prop is pretty much standard and most of the parts are
available. It would be easy to change but they are pretty much
standard. The prop and Throttle are just like any other high
performance I've flown. The mixture is just a big knob a bit lower.

Probably about $300 to $400 plus labor of maybe 5 hours.

The cost would be commensurate with just going to a newer model Bonanza
would be my guess.

The non standard part is the gear and flap switches.
If it's a first complex, why bother? I can understand if it's not.