So. California Siteseeing for Young Pilot WannaBe

Old August 1st 03, 09:26 PM
clay

Default So. California Siteseeing for Young Pilot WannaBe

I have a 16 year old that is very interested in flying. Can anyone
recommend aviation related sightseeing destinations in Southern
California? I am thinking of things like museums, Air force bases,
etc.

Thanks,

clay

Old August 2nd 03, 04:48 PM
Casey Wilson

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
Why don't you take him to the desert for glider lessons instead of

museums?

I second that motion. Look up Caracole Soaring in California City, or
Sierra Soaring at little farther up at Inyokern.

Old August 2nd 03, 09:35 PM
noah

I have a 16 year old that is very interested in flying. Can anyone
recommend aviation related sightseeing destinations in Southern
California? I am thinking of things like museums, Air force bases,
etc.

Thanks,

clay

Hi Clay,
How about getting your 16yr old an intro flight? For $49-$100 you
can get him/her a 30min-1hr flight in a C152 that will create a big
grin for many weeks. I don't know your exact relationship (cousin,
parent, etc) but you may even see this 16yr old take on a part time
job to start flying lessons...
Probably the one significant thing I would change about my short
flying career, is that I wish I had started earlier

Have a good time in So. California. I remember there being a
great aviation museum in San Diego.

-Noah
Old August 3rd 03, 06:46 AM
Marty Ross

You might want to check out Santa Paula (SZP) on any first Sunday of the
month. They usually have an "open house", where they open up many of the
hangars where vintage and other special birds are housed and being worked
on. Also, they open up their air museum.

Gas (100LL) is pretty cheap there, too!

om...