Foolish Buyer Tricks

Old September 13th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default Foolish Buyer Tricks

The foolish buyer trick I've seen more often than others is the "It comes
with a fresh annual, I don't need a pre-purchase inspection." approach to
airplane buying.

Aargh.

We had an estate auction in this area recently where 4 vintage aircraft were
sold. Unfortunately (for the buyers), the rules of the auction prevented
anything more than a logbook review and a cursory look at the aircraft. All
4 aircraft sold during the auction at reasonable prices considering these
aircraft had sat for a couple of years and the logbooks *probably* were not
in the best of shape. Although each of the aircraft came with a fresh
annual. ;-)

It is 3 weeks later and three of the four aircraft have not left the nest.
The fourth aircraft did go home with the new owner after a blown crankshaft
seal was replaced. I can't understand how the annual didn't turn up a blown
crankshaft seal.

One of the aircraft still on the field had 50+ squawks when the new owner
gave it the once-over. Now, this was an ongoing restoration project and a
few squawks should have been expected but over 50? With a new annual? Not
acceptable.

Another of the aircraft still on the field wouldn't pass a run-up. Why? It
had been filled with autofuel some time back, not flown or run for a while,
and the fuel system was badly gummed up. Oh, by the way, there is no
autofuel STC for this airplane. Again, this airplane had a fresh annual.

The other airplane still on the field hasn't had maintenance related
problems, so I guess the owner is probably happy with that. He's probably
not happy that he ground looped it on his first landing. It is undergoing
some minor repairs at this time.

Another foolish buyer trick is buying a fixer-upper. Generally, an
airplane's value is LESS than the sum of its parts. Take a $30k C-172 or
Cherokee, add new paint @ $8k, a new interior @ $5k, a new panel @ $15k, an
engine overhaul @ $15k and you still have an airplane worth $50k or less
despite the $70k+ you've invested.

Old September 13th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

The foolish buyer trick I've seen more often than others is the "It comes
with a fresh annual, I don't need a pre-purchase inspection." approach to
airplane buying.

Anyone who accepts this is crazy.

Another of the aircraft still on the field wouldn't pass a run-up. Why? It
had been filled with autofuel some time back, not flown or run for a while,
and the fuel system was badly gummed up. Oh, by the way, there is no
autofuel STC for this airplane. Again, this airplane had a fresh annual.

How long was "a while"? Unleaded mogas won't "gum up" anything for
years -- unless, of course, the mogas had ethanol in it. Then it
will supposedly start attacking rubber seals.

How does an A&P sign off an annual inspection on a plane that won't
pass a run-up test?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 13th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

We had an estate auction in this area recently where 4 vintage aircraft
were sold. Unfortunately (for the buyers), the rules of the auction
prevented anything more than a logbook review and a cursory look at the
aircraft.

Was someone holding them hostage and forcing them to bid on aircraft?
They did not have to bid on them.. High Risk?? Bid Low..

BT

Old September 13th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

I'd think the local FSDO people would be interested in whoever signed
them off as airworthy. If nothing else, that's what the FSDO should
be for.

Old September 13th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

agreed...

ups.com...

Old September 13th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lou

So does that mean the new owners
can hold the log book signers liable and
responsible for any and all missed problems?
Lou

Old September 13th 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
The foolish buyer trick I've seen more often than others is the "It comes
with a fresh annual, I don't need a pre-purchase inspection." approach to
airplane buying.

Anyone who accepts this is crazy.

Another of the aircraft still on the field wouldn't pass a run-up. Why?
It
had been filled with autofuel some time back, not flown or run for a
while,
and the fuel system was badly gummed up. Oh, by the way, there is no
autofuel STC for this airplane. Again, this airplane had a fresh annual.

How long was "a while"? Unleaded mogas won't "gum up" anything for
years -- unless, of course, the mogas had ethanol in it. Then it
will supposedly start attacking rubber seals.

Auto gas (and maybe avgas too) leaves behind a laquer like residue if it is
allowed to evaporate. That's one of the reasons people encourage draining
gas tanks when vehicles are stored for a long time.

How does an A&P sign off an annual inspection on a plane that won't
pass a run-up test?

Same question for the airplane with a blown crankshaft seal. A suspicious
person might be inclined to believe the AI never turned a wrench on the
aircraft.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 13th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

On Sep 13, 12:31 am, nrp wrote:
I'd think the local FSDO people would be interested in whoever signed
them off as airworthy. If nothing else, that's what the FSDO should
be for.

The FSDO/FAA generally refuses to get involved in business disputes
between mechanics and disgruntled airplane purchasers...
Though the facts in this case are rather interesting...

denny
btw, for us old farts, that is known as a "P51 Annual"...

Old September 13th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

On 09/12/07 19:53, Jay Honeck wrote:
The foolish buyer trick I've seen more often than others is the "It comes
with a fresh annual, I don't need a pre-purchase inspection." approach to
airplane buying.

Anyone who accepts this is crazy.

Another of the aircraft still on the field wouldn't pass a run-up. Why? It
had been filled with autofuel some time back, not flown or run for a while,
and the fuel system was badly gummed up. Oh, by the way, there is no
autofuel STC for this airplane. Again, this airplane had a fresh annual.

How long was "a while"? Unleaded mogas won't "gum up" anything for
years -- unless, of course, the mogas had ethanol in it. Then it
will supposedly start attacking rubber seals.

How does an A&P sign off an annual inspection on a plane that won't
pass a run-up test?

Do you know the airplane couldn't pass the run-up at the time of the
annual inspection? All we know is that it didn't pass the run-up *now*.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old September 13th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

btw, for us old farts, that is known as a "P51 Annual"...

'Splain, please?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA