GPS Nav question ....

Old August 15th 11, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default PowerFLARM and GPS Antenna

On 8/15/11 3:11 PM, Cliff Hilty wrote:
I like matt's idea of putting it under the seat pan though and
might consider that if you can remotely mount the flarm antenna.

I'm not following what antenna you are talking about, but you need the
Flarm A antenna up front on the glider, really preferably top side on
the glareshield area to provide forward and upward visibility to threat
aircraft. I think its the optional Flarm B antenna that Matt was talking
about and that is intended to be mounted underneath the fuselage to
provide improved range/coverage.

There may be proximity issues with under-mounted transponders antennas
and an external Flarm B/aux antenna. I certainly plan doing some playing
before drilling holes for that antenna.

I would make no assumptions about how any Flarm antennas are mounted on
what box or via what type of coax until Flarm makes an announcement
and/or has FCC approval.

Darryl
Old August 16th 11, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Aug 15, 6:56*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Well, actually, I've been thinking of putting the brick behind the
bulkhead in my plane
since there just isn't enough room up front, and then putting the B
antenna far forward
in the nose where there is just enough room. The Schleicher mount
point for a
transponder antenna in an asw-19 is behind the gear in front of the
rear bulkhead,
and I'd like to put the unit near there. This means running the coax
for the B antenna
and the two data/power cables under the seat pan, which has to be
removed for
the annual but is a major pain to do in any case.

-- Matt
Old August 16th 11, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Seat pan removal on an ASW-19 is indeed tedious, because of all the
screws. But compared to the LS8, the ASW-19 seat removal is a breeze!
I've got to remove bolts, screws and the rudder adjustment handle, and
then figure out how to bend the very stiff, extremely hard, rigid,
awkward, structural component seat pan around the spoiler rod. Re-
installation is much, much worse!

I do like the idea of moving the PowerFLARM brick away from the panel
area. Of course, it will all depend on its dimensions, the antenna
cable lengths, the antenna sizes, electrical and mechanical
interference issues, etc.

The PowerFLARM manual seems to me to be a bit light on installation
advice (as compared, say, to the Trig manual). Am I the only one who
thinks PowerFLARM brick installation is going to be a bit of a science
project? Hopefully the FLARM team will address this deficiency when
they release the hardware.

-John

Old August 16th 11, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Aug 16, 11:52*am, jcarlyle wrote:

The PowerFLARM manual seems to me to be a bit light on installation
advice (as compared, say, to the Trig manual). Am I the only one who
thinks PowerFLARM brick installation is going to be a bit of a science
project? Hopefully the FLARM team will address this deficiency when
they release the hardware.

-John

I'm a fan of the technology, but I've been a bit mystified at the
implementation and commentary along the way. I ordered a portable way
back, but had second thoughts when I got out the ruler and finally
built a mockup of the thing. It isn't small (imo) and it sure didn't
go well on my Schleicher instrument cowl. I thought I'd probably end
up making a custom panel with the flarm device behind, taking up a
lot of space. The brick + 2 1/4" Butterfly display potentially solves
all those problems... unless of course the brick has a fixed antenna
(let's hope not).

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old August 16th 11, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Roger that - I ordered a brick and the Butterfly 2.25" display as
well. I, too, had built a mock up and saw immediately that the
PowerFLARM portable and the LS8 cockpit/panel were mutually exclusive.
Now I'm trying to figure out where (and how) the antenna farm will get
mounted. I agree that it won't be good if the brick has a fixed
antenna...

-John

Old August 17th 11, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Aug 16, 12:36 pm, T8 wrote:

I'm a *fan of the technology, but I've been a bit mystified at the
implementation and commentary along the way. *I ordered a portable way
back, but had second thoughts when I got out the ruler and finally
built a mockup of the thing. *It isn't small (imo) and it sure didn't
go well on my Schleicher instrument cowl. *I thought I'd probably end
up making a *custom panel with the flarm device behind, taking up a
lot of space. *The brick + 2 1/4" Butterfly display potentially solves
all those problems... unless of course the brick has a fixed antenna
(let's hope not).

-Evan Ludeman / T8

I poked around a bit today. Butterfly aero has a "high performance
antenna"
listed in the German language section of their web page. It seems to
be the
same as the antenna described he

http://sites.google.com/site/p01antenna/home

This antenna looks like a good fit for what I want to do; it would be
fairly
easy to mount it far forward in the nose of my plane, beyond the
rudder
pedals. The "A" antenna would be behind the gear in my plans so
therefore would be blocked from seeing forward.

-- Matt
Old August 17th 11, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 16, 7:46*pm, mattm wrote:
*The "A" antenna would be behind the gear in my plans so
therefore would be blocked from seeing forward.

If it is blocked from "seeing" forward it will also be blocked from
being "seen".

The transmitting antenna has to be positioned to that it radiates
effectively into the highest threat volume. That seems to demand
placing it in the nose of the glider.

The constraints on positioning the main TX/RX antenna will be unknown
until the design is approved. The available documentation indicates
that the auxiliary FLARM antenna is receive only.

Andy