Private air strip..... yes or no???

Old February 11th 04, 01:40 PM
Wdtabor

Default Private air strip..... yes or no???

any comments would be appreciated

If this is just a private strip for one guy to fly his own airplane in and out,
and not a public strip for all to use, then how much can he really disturb you?

Even if he flys every day, what harm would a couple of takeoffs a day do you?

Do you really want to make a lifetime enemy of your neighbor over that?

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old February 11th 04, 01:49 PM
Jim

Huh? You LOVE planes! He's not talking about building the next O'Hare in
your back yard. On the average if he flew once or twice a week would that
upset you? I'd say that's more of a realistic expectation. Maybe he'd even
give you a ride.

Talk to your local zoning board. Like everything else in this country,
landowners have certain rights, until some asshole complains.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old February 11th 04, 02:07 PM
EDR

Has your neighbor told you he is going to build a runway (it was not
clear from your posting)?

At 1000 to 1500 feet from the threshhold, your home is in a prime
location for CFIT or departure accidents.

At the very least, common courtesty, your neighbor should agree to
angle the runway so it does not point directly at your house.

They should also agree to turn away from your house after liftoff.
Old February 11th 04, 02:14 PM
Brad Z

Why not talk to your neighbor about your concerns? It's in his best
interests to keep his neighbors happy. And it sounds like its in your best
interest to stay friends with him...if you're taking flying lessons, having
a neighbor with an airstrip will be a benefit after you get your license.

"just an average Farlang..." wrote in
message
news:bm9yaWtv.2c49808e3f2f35f5431910160ea416b5@107 6505681.nulluser.com...
Can anyone tell me what criteria, rules, regulations a person needs to
be
allowed to construct a private runway on his or her property. I know
there
are many factors that are not presently known in this scenario but I
can
try to input as much as I know.

My neighbor owns land that is 2600 feet wide. The elevation is about
3000
feet and the hottest temperature is 91 degrees in the summer. The land
is
located in Idaho. The prevailing winds position the optimal take off
direction to be directly over my house about 1500 feet from the
property
line. I LOVE airplanes! I worked for Boeing (Lazy B) for the last
fifteen
years. I worked at Cessna in Witchita before that. I stop to watch
planes
take off and land. I LOVE PLANES!!! But what I don't love is buying 500
acres to finally get some peace and quiet and then having some loud
plane
buzz my house at will. The person wanting to put in the runway has
money
to build a 3 floor nice house so I expect they will want to be
socialites
and invite all their friends to fly in for a barbacue on the weekend.

I talked to planning and zoning and they don't even know what
prospective
planes will be flown there i.e. ultralites or larger planes that
require
longer runways. I would like to think it is being fair for me to
expect no
planes flying over my land below 500 feet whether taking off, landing
or
pattern flying. I bought my land and paid for the use of each and every
acre. If by putting in a runway on the edge of my property that means
they
are helping themselves to a sort of "easement" flying a hundred feet
or so
over my land that doesn't seem at all fair. I may wish to build a barn,
corral animals (which might go crazy) penned up with planes buzzing
over
them.

Can I get some ideas on what is realistic?

I don't even know what a common length of runway is but a friend of
mine
told me using generic table calculations that a fully loaded small
plane
on a hot day could very well need a long take off and after lift
off ....
how long a distance til that plane gets to minimal required elevation?

Yesterday I took a flying lesson with a chief piot and he told me a
small plane can lift off after about a thousand feet of runway and
then the maximum climb would be about 500 feet per minute. He thought
for a plane to stay the necessaary elevation over my property the
pilot is required a total of no less than 4000 feet. The runway will
be a dirt strip which also requires more distance.

any comments would be appreciated

Old February 11th 04, 02:44 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Brad Z" wrote in message
Why not talk to your neighbor about your concerns? It's in his best
interests to keep his neighbors happy. And it sounds like its in your

best
interest to stay friends with him...if you're taking flying lessons,

having
a neighbor with an airstrip will be a benefit after you get your license.

My thoughts exactly. But what do I know, I'm just a "redneck".

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old February 11th 04, 02:58 PM
Bill Denton

One of the most important things to do is immediately contact a lawyer (and
I hate lawyers).

I don't remember the exact legal terms, but here's a layman's explanation...

In some instances, if someone creates a nuisance, and you do not contest
that nuisance immediately, you will never be able to contest that nuisance.

So, while having a light plane fly over your house a couple of times a week
might not bother you, the guy could theoretically suddenly decide to start
running 20 747's a day out of his strip and you would not be able to do
anything about it.

But if you act immediately, you can draft an agreement that would let your
neighbor operate a certain number of flights per day/week/whatever during
certain hours, and that's it. In this way you would be allowing your
neighbor reasonable use of his property while protecting your own property
rights, and hopefully preserving your relationship with your neighbor.

But you want to act on this immediately, as the game changes once the first
airplane takes off or lands.

You might also want to check the FAR's, the FAA's website, and the DOT's
website; I believe you'll find some information there.

Old February 11th 04, 03:12 PM
Kyler Laird

"" just an average " Farlang..." writes:

So far I can only perceive a "redneck" mentality from the replies.

Interesting. I didn't get that at all. Does that make me a "redneck"?

--kyler
Old February 11th 04, 03:18 PM
John T

"just an average Farlang" wrote in
message
news:bm9yaWtv.08aca6e0d6e6c76ad4fd7c32b7325054@107 6508540.nulluser.com

I was hoping for a more mature newsgroup. A more accurate saying would
be,"We all have rights but not the right to impose on other's rights".

Sounds to me like you're trying to impose your percieved right to "peace and
quiet" on your neighbor's percieved fair use of his land - perhaps purchased
to allow him to build his own airstrip.

Have you talked to this neighbor? What are his intentions? Until you know
that, you're just trying to be as much of a nuisance as you think he is.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old February 11th 04, 03:51 PM
Jim

"I can afford to buy a plane and make a runway on my property that
would be long enough to reach minimum altitude while on my own
property. My neighbor also, can afford to buy a much bigger piece of
land."

Any chance of working together with him and between the two of you creating
an awesome runway that would benefit both of you?

If there is a hearing scheduled, I would think that they would send the
surrounding neighbors a notice and invite your comments or concerns.

Here in redneck Wisconsin, the local zoning board had jurisdiction over
whether or not you can build it. They will also ask the owner what type of
operation and how often the airstrip will be used. They have the hearing
and if all goes well, and if you've located it away from neighbors and
nobody comes to the hearing to complain. Then you apply to the state
department of trans and they have you fill out forms and provide diagrams of
the proposed runway including nearby obstacles and the flight profile of
aircraft using the runway. If it's a private strip and you own the
surrounding land, they usually don't say much about the approach, departure
or side clearances. If it's public or you have neighbors, it's a different
ball game. But that's just how it works here, I wouldn't pretend to know
anything about Idaho.

Our company owns a lot of farm land here, some located next to airports. We
occasionally are forced to sell the airport an "avigation easement" for the
surrounding area, basically giving up our right to park equipment, plant
trees etc. on that part of our land that may interfere with the safety zone
surrounding the airport. I generally don't have a problem with it because
the laws of eminent domain apply and there's no use fighting it. As a pilot
and flight instructor, I'm happy when airports are improved, even if it
effects my own land and business. You are in a different situation.

On another subject, both your and his insurance company's may have an issue
with him building an airstrip that through it's normal use puts you or your
property in harms way.

The FAA typically doesn't get involved, so your problem is really more of a
local situation.

I'd set up a meeting with him and try to see his point of view and his
intentions. It sounds like the lack of communication may be feeding more
dis-information than anything.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old February 11th 04, 03:52 PM
John T

"just an average Farlang" wrote in
message
news:bm9yaWtv.9cc04ee02a8bf61515c8a3baf728e8b9@107 6513463.nulluser.com

I got a dirt bike, does that mean I can go ride it anywhere I please
on private, public or forest land?

hmmm.... Key phrase the "public". Look up the phrase "navigable
airspace" and see what it is, who owns it and who can use it.

Just as a pilot and landowner should have the right to fly his
airplane shouldn't I have the right to sleep late on a hot summer day
with my bedroom window open without being woke up by some airplane
buzzing over my property and house? I paid for my land! I am entitled
to the use of the land I paid for.

Turn that around now and see how it applies to your neighbor. After all, he
paid for his land, didn't he?

How about if I were your nextdoor
neighbor... Is it appropriate for me to park my truck in front of your
house? How about if I owned 5 cars and had them parked all up and down
the street in front of your house?

That's why homeowners' assocations exist. Perhaps you should talk to your
other neighbors to gauge their feelings about this.

Listen, I can certainly understand your frustration over this, but it sounds
like you don't have all the facts and you're trying to garner support for a
position that you haven't even researched. I'll be the first in line to say
that pilots need to be good neighbors and try to be considerate of others.

However, that's a two way street and right now it looks like you're trying
to kill his fair use of his land (the very thing you claim to be attempting
with your own land) before you even know what he's doing.