A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New Generation Vario's

Old May 27th 14, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

Default New Generation Vario's

On Monday, May 26, 2014 11:01:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am on my second season with a V7. Like John I experience less than 100 percent satisfaction as I slow back into the "sniffing around" speeds. Speed to fly actions and tones are excellent when running flat out. When feeling the need to stop and thermal I find myself using my secondary mechanical vario more than I previously did. As a fix I installed a switch near my trim knob and convenient to my left hand. I switch to climb mode manually when transitioning to "I need a thermal" mode of thinking. Downside is this puts LK 8000 in climb mode also as I have the PNA and V7 synced. This throws off my Task Stats in the LK8000.

All said I do love my V7.

Lane

XF

Lane,

I also have the V7, LK8000 combination and find it works well. Same issues with sniff mode and will probably change the flap switch to engage thermal mode at 0 rather than +1. I've got a lazy question (haven't gone through all the manuals yet). Is there a way to disengage only the McCready communication between LK and the V7 to allow keeping the LK on a final glide MC while setting the V7 to a lower cruise MC?

The V7 firmware upgrade this year also opened up more options for using the acceleration sensing functions built into the instrument. Does anyone have a clear understanding of the algorithm being used and what advantages it should offer?

Thanks,
Craig 7Q
Old May 28th 14, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
s6
external usenet poster

Le mardi 27 mai 2014 14:16:14 UTC-4, Craig Funston a écrit*:

I am on my second season with a V7. Like John I experience less than 100 percent satisfaction as I slow back into the "sniffing around" speeds. Speed to fly actions and tones are excellent when running flat out. When feeling the need to stop and thermal I find myself using my secondary mechanical vario more than I previously did. As a fix I installed a switch near my trim knob and convenient to my left hand. I switch to climb mode manually when transitioning to "I need a thermal" mode of thinking. Downside is this puts LK 8000 in climb mode also as I have the PNA and V7 synced. This throws off my Task Stats in the LK8000.

Hi
I am surprised Borgelt instruments, B800, are not on this list???

G

All said I do love my V7.

Lane

XF

Lane,

I also have the V7, LK8000 combination and find it works well. Same issues with sniff mode and will probably change the flap switch to engage thermal mode at 0 rather than +1. I've got a lazy question (haven't gone through all the manuals yet). Is there a way to disengage only the McCready communication between LK and the V7 to allow keeping the LK on a final glide MC while setting the V7 to a lower cruise MC?

The V7 firmware upgrade this year also opened up more options for using the acceleration sensing functions built into the instrument. Does anyone have a clear understanding of the algorithm being used and what advantages it should offer?

Thanks,

Craig 7Q

Old May 28th 14, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_2_]
external usenet poster

At 18:16 27 May 2014, Craig Funston wrote:
I am on my second season with a V7. Like John I experience less than

=
percent satisfaction as I slow back into the "sniffing around" speeds.
Spee=
d to fly actions and tones are excellent when running flat out. When
feelin=
g the need to stop and thermal I find myself using my secondary

mechanical
=
vario more than I previously did. As a fix I installed a switch near my
tri=
m knob and convenient to my left hand. I switch to climb mode manually
when=
transitioning to "I need a thermal" mode of thinking. Downside is this
p=
uts LK 8000 in climb mode also as I have the PNA and V7 synced. This
throws=
off my Task Stats in the LK8000.=20
=20
=20
=20
All said I do love my V7.=20
=20
=20
=20
Lane
=20
XF

Lane,

I also have the V7, LK8000 combination and find it works well. Same
issues=
with sniff mode and will probably change the flap switch to engage
thermal=
mode at 0 rather than +1. I've got a lazy question (haven't gone

through
=
all the manuals yet). Is there a way to disengage only the McCready
commun=
ication between LK and the V7 to allow keeping the LK on a final glide MC
w=
hile setting the V7 to a lower cruise MC?

The V7 firmware upgrade this year also opened up more options for using
the=
acceleration sensing functions built into the instrument. Does anyone
hav=
e a clear understanding of the algorithm being used and what advantages

it
=
should offer?

Thanks,
Craig 7Q

Can you not set the vario to change to climb mode based on airspeed. I have
my lx160 set to 58kts and rarely think it is in the wrong mode.

Old May 28th 14, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The V7 is telling LK8000 to switch between STF and Climb. Basically the PNA is slaved to the V7. If I change McCready in one instrument the other follows suite. I don't believe you can uncouple the McCready while other values remain coupled. John Cochran wrote an excellent article on the virtues of having the Nav Device and the Vario McCreadys uncoupled.

Lane
Old May 28th 14, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:41:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
The V7 is telling LK8000 to switch between STF and Climb. Basically the PNA is slaved to the V7. If I change McCready in one instrument the other follows suite. I don't believe you can uncouple the McCready while other values remain coupled. John Cochran wrote an excellent article on the virtues of having the Nav Device and the Vario McCreadys uncoupled.

Lane

Thanks Lane, John's article on final glide and MC is excellent & it would be great to uncouple the LK final glide MC from the V7 speed to fly. I'll dig a bit deeper into the manuals and may ask Paolo if I don't find anything..

Jim, the V7 has options to change between climb and cruise using speed or a switch. I've flown with it both ways and prefer having the switch.

Cheers,
Craig