For Sale: Duo Discus Turbo

Old July 25th 05, 03:20 PM
Ruud

Default For Sale: Duo Discus Turbo

Have a look at:
http://home.planet.nl/~holsw007/duodiscus/

The glider is currently located at the Dutch Soaring Center "Terlet"
in the Netherlands.

For more information surf to the web site or contact Ruud Holswilder
at
Old July 25th 05, 05:26 PM
Bruce

Ruud wrote:
Have a look at:
http://home.planet.nl/~holsw007/duodiscus/

The glider is currently located at the Dutch Soaring Center "Terlet"
in the Netherlands.

For more information surf to the web site or contact Ruud Holswilder
at

Why sell such a nice ship?

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old July 25th 05, 05:35 PM
Stefan

Bruce wrote:

Why sell such a nice ship?

Right they a Get rid of that Duo and buy a DG 1000 instead! :-P

Stefan
Old July 25th 05, 07:23 PM
Ruud

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:26:37 +0200, Bruce
wrote:

Why sell such a nice ship?

It sure is a nice ship, but the new Duo Discus X is just a little
better ;-)
So I ordered a new Duo Discus XT.

BTW the old Duo's can be modified with the winglets.
Old July 25th 05, 07:32 PM
Ruud

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:35:49 +0200, Stefan
wrote:

Right they a Get rid of that Duo and buy a DG 1000 instead! :-P

If you want to buy a club work horse, the DG1000 is a good option.
There is one for sale in NL, see the Schempp-Hirth pinboard.

If you like a real race horse for long X-country flights, you better
buy a Duo.
If you don't like outlandings, buy a Duo Discus T.

Old July 30th 05, 09:01 AM
nimbus

Some remarks/questions:
1=2EBut the price of nearly 140 k=80 seems very high to me.
2=2EIs it possible to upgrade a DG 1000 toward a DG1000 Turbo?
3=2E Why your remark about outlanding? Is the DG1000 very bad for
outlanding?

Old July 30th 05, 10:49 AM
Bruce

nimbus wrote:
Some remarks/questions:
1.But the price of nearly 140 k€ seems very high to me.
2.Is it possible to upgrade a DG 1000 toward a DG1000 Turbo?
3. Why your remark about outlanding? Is the DG1000 very bad for
outlanding?

Hi Ian

I assume the comment was simply that the turbo option would allow you to get
home - and the DG1000 offered does not have the iron thermal in the back.

From what I have read the undercarriage on the DG is extremely robust and well
suited to outlandings - derigging a 20m two seater is going to be a sweaty job
in most cases...

DG are offering a "T" option on the 1000 - and new prices seem to be
comparable,the DG engine management appears simpler - but having never played
with either I can't comment. Now if either came with the extremely useful
ability to launch unaided that option it would be nice.

The DG1000 also comes with a choice of 18 and 20m wingspan, the former endowing
it with Aerobatic rating...

I suppose it comes down to horses for courses. the DG is more versatile, the Duo
is more focussed, and arguably better cross country.

Cheers
Bruce
--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old July 30th 05, 11:15 AM
Ruud

On 30 Jul 2005 01:01:24 -0700, "nimbus"
wrote:

Some remarks/questions:
1.But the price of nearly 140 k€ seems very high to me.

Just try buying a new one with all equipment and see where you end.
Apart from waiting 2 years, you end up at least 10% higher excluding
increasing prices.

2.Is it possible to upgrade a DG 1000 toward a DG1000 Turbo?

No

3. Why your remark about outlanding? Is the DG1000 very bad for
outlanding?

The DG1000 is an excellent ship for outlandings! (the new DuoDiscusX
also)
The question is if you like outlandings.
A turbo gives you the opportunity to fly x-country all the time
without having a retrieve crew.
Old July 30th 05, 12:13 PM
Ruud

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:49:13 +0200, Bruce
wrote:

- derigging a 20m two seater is going to be a sweaty job
in most cases...

If you have the proper equipment and a good trailer like a Cobra ,
rigging and derigging is an easy job.
I can rig and derig my Duo without any help.
In windy conditions, I only need someone to stabilize the wing dolly.
I have compared the time needed to derig the Duo and the time needed
to put the Jaxida covers on.
Putting the covers on takes almost as much time as derigging it and
store it in the trailer.
That's why my Jaxida covers are still like new.

Old August 3rd 05, 02:34 AM
Mark Lenox

I don't have any experience rigging the duo.

Do you know the weight of the individual panels?

Are the inner panels as heavy as, say, a typical 15M complete wing?

If two people can handle the individual panels reasonably easily, then that
would be quite nice. My only experience rigging and de-rigging large
2-seat ships has been with ASK-21s and Blaniks, and they are both quite a
challenge to rig due to the heavy wings.

I am also assuming that all connections are automatic?

Mark