Cheap GPS Loggers

Old February 13th 14, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]

Default Cheap GPS Loggers

We're hoping to have some newbies trying XC next season - and are looking for best cots logger options. I have an older garmim that works fine - but it requires a serial interface. I'm thinking there must be better options.

gracias'

kk
Old February 13th 14, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Traitor!
How about the pilot's own cell phone with XC Soar or LK8000, etc.
Of course, it requires a RAM mount and more eyes down time as you can't see it like a real display. If it goes to sleep your newbie is screwed.
But it's the ultimate toy for a glider pilot, cheap!
Jim
Old February 13th 14, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:11:55 PM UTC-5, KiloKilo wrote:
We're hoping to have some newbies trying XC next season - and are looking for best cots logger options. I have an older garmim that works fine - but it requires a serial interface. I'm thinking there must be better options.

gracias'

kk

Nook, or Kobo, + GPS "puck"..with Top Hat software...can be put together for under $100..

Fly with CE...a bit over $100 but simple...and can be used for badges...

Cookie

Old February 13th 14, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Any Android phone or tablet with a GPS can run (free) XCSOAR and will
generate an igc file acceptable to OLC.

Old February 13th 14, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi KK,

How about if some of them pool together and buy an LXNAV Nano for $495. It
is a fully IGC approved logger. It is also extremely easy to use and
extremely reliable.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav.htm#LXNAV-Nano

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 13th 14, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Depends on what they want to do with the log files. If it's just to post to OLC or GCup and/or review flight logs, than any of the Phone/Tablet based (iPhone or Android OS) programs like XCSoar, TopHat, etc. are more than good enough. Free if you already own the device. You can use all sorts of Garmins and the like as well, though the UI on dedicated programs like those I mentioned is optimized for soaring flight.

If you're looking for Badges, then you need either a GPS Position Recorder (so far, we've approved the FlyWithCE models in the US) or an IGC Approved FR. FlywithCE is just over $100 and very, very simple.

P3

Old February 13th 14, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Not my item for sale, but heck of a bargain, in my opinion!

http://glidersource.com/cgi-bin/post.cgi?id=452

Steve Leonard
Old February 13th 14, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

The mobile stuff is he most practical assuming your not looking to get a badge. Otherwise I agree with Remde's advice to get a Nano. I have a used one I would be willing to sell.
Old February 14th 14, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:15:47 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:
The mobile stuff is he most practical assuming your not looking to get a badge. Otherwise I agree with Remde's advice to get a Nano. I have a used one I would be willing to sell.

Nano is $495.
FlyWithCE FR300 is $139.
Both are approved for OLC and SSA badges, which is probably what is needed for club use (not racing).

If just for XC use, XCSoar, TopHat, LK8000 are great, as stated above.
Old February 15th 14, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

from:
http://www.naviter.com/products/seeyou-recorder/

SeeYou Recorder is a simple and free IGC files recorder for Android, iPhone and iPad for Paraglider, Hang-glider and Sailplane pilots.

Launch the app, choose to start recording your flight and put it in your pocket. After landing the flights are synced to SeeYou Cloud. You can then use SeeYou for Android and iOS or upload them to online contests of your choice. Our experience shows that recent smart phones are able to record 10-13 hours of flight before the battery reaches 20% and the app stops recording (percentage is selectable in the Settings). Tablets have much larger batteries and are for this reason very suitable for running the SeeYou Recorder.