Airport graveyard in Arizona

Old August 9th 05, 05:46 AM
G. Sylvester

Default Airport graveyard in Arizona

I will be going to Tucson in the next couple of days. IIRC
there is an airport graveyard/mothball site somewhere nearby
that you can visit? What are the names, locations (if you have
it) and are they worth visiting?

thanks in advance.

Gerald Sylvester

Old August 9th 05, 06:36 AM
Jay Beckman

"G. Sylvester" wrote in message
I will be going to Tucson in the next couple of days. IIRC
there is an airport graveyard/mothball site somewhere nearby
that you can visit? What are the names, locations (if you have
it) and are they worth visiting?

thanks in advance.

Gerald Sylvester

Gerald,

You are probably thinking of AMARC (Aircraft Maintenance and Regeneration
Center) at Davis - Monthan AFB.

Tours of AMARC are now administrated by the Pima Air Museum (an under-rated
gem in it's own right...)

AMARC Tours:
http://www.pimaair.org/amarc.htm

Pima Air & Space Museum:
http://www.pimaair.org/

You can also tour a Titan missle silo in the town of Green Valley (a bit
south of Tucson):
http://www.pimaair.org/tmm/index.html

If you haven't been to the desert befo
- Drink water
- Wear a good hat
- Drink more water
- Be aware of wx forecasts as it's our "monsoon" season
- Drink even more water

HTH,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old August 9th 05, 11:57 AM
Cub Driver

Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. I don't know if it's open for visitors;
at the time I was there, my father worked there, cannibalizing parts
and shipping them out.

There may also be a civilian graveyard somewhere around, but I don't
think it would be as interesting.

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 04:46:52 GMT, "G. Sylvester"
wrote:

I will be going to Tucson in the next couple of days. IIRC
there is an airport graveyard/mothball site somewhere nearby
that you can visit? What are the names, locations (if you have
it) and are they worth visiting?

thanks in advance.

Gerald Sylvester

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old August 9th 05, 02:49 PM

When I was out in Scottsdale in March of 2000 I only had enough time to
get to one museum, so we drove out to Pima Air Museum. I wanted to get
to the AMARC site as well but figured it'd be more enjoyable to go
through one museum taking my time versus rushing through two. Besides,
the aircraft at Pima are in considerably better shape : )

Old August 9th 05, 02:50 PM
Matt Barrow

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. I don't know if it's open for visitors;
at the time I was there, my father worked there, cannibalizing parts
and shipping them out.

There may also be a civilian graveyard somewhere around, but I don't
think it would be as interesting.

The civilian graveyard would be Boot Hill in Tombstone, a few miles east.

Old August 9th 05, 03:19 PM
Dick Meade

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

The civilian graveyard would be Boot Hill in Tombstone, a few miles east.

Well, yeah, but there actually is a civilian aircraft boneyard about 30
miles West. Pinal Airpark. The only way to see it up close is to fly in.
They will not allow drive-in visitors.

Also, AMARC is only accessible by organized tours, and only on certain days.
I think week days only, but check first.

Old August 9th 05, 06:33 PM
Rob

Dick Meade wrote:
Also, AMARC is only accessible by organized tours, and only on certain days.
I think week days only, but check first.

The website says:

"Tours are given Monday through Friday (excluding federal holidays) and
last approximately one hour."

This is a bummer for us working stiffs. A year or so ago a friend and
I flew down to TUS from Scottsdale and toured the Pima Air Museum. I'd
love to make a weekend day of the AMARC in the same way.

-R

Old August 9th 05, 06:34 PM
Rob

Jay Beckman wrote:
If you haven't been to the desert befo
- Drink water
- Wear a good hat
- Drink more water
- Be aware of wx forecasts as it's our "monsoon" season
- Drink even more water

Sunscreen is good too. Get the highest SPF you can find.

-R

Old August 10th 05, 12:09 AM
Robert M. Gary

You cannot visit the graveyard since they aircraft are technically only
"mothballed" (i.e. could still be flown). However, there is a wonderful
museum across the street.

Old August 10th 05, 01:26 AM
Jay Beckman

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
You cannot visit the graveyard since they aircraft are technically only
"mothballed" (i.e. could still be flown). However, there is a wonderful
museum across the street.

Robert,

There are tours available...see my reply to the OP.

Jay B

Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM