Airports/Airspace

Old March 15th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Airports/Airspace

I heard there are two types of people: those that divide things in two
and those who don't.

There are three types of people, actually. Those who can count, and
those who can't.

Old March 15th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If you want to go stand in line with the people splitting hairs over
"biannual" versus "biennial"...

Actually, that's not a hair, that's a pretty fat rope. Confusing
multplication with division (except in cellular biology) is more in line
with that one.

Jose
Old March 15th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I disagree. If you look at a sectional, you will see many different symbols
representing the various kinds of airports.

The different symbols that come to mind a

Color coded - blue vs magenta.

A solid circle vs an empty circle, indicating paved vs unpaved

With 'nubs' vs without 'nubs', indicating fuel available vs fuel not
available.

Therefore, I submit there are eight different 'kinds' of airports:

Towered, paved, with fuel.
Towered, paved, without fuel.
Towered, unpaved, with fuel.
Towered, unpaved, without fuel.
Non-towered, paved, with fuel.
Non-towered, paved, without fuel.
Non-towered, unpaved, with fuel.
Non-towered, unpaved, without fuel.

Unless you consider lighted vs unlighted, which would make it 16 kinds.

Or maybe open vs closed - making it 32.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any of you who have thorough knowledge and understanding of
Airports will know that there are only two kinds of Airports in all of
our National Airspace System (NAS). There is Towered and Non-Towered
Airports.

Old March 15th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-03-15, Steve Foley wrote:
Therefore, I submit there are eight different 'kinds' of airports:

Towered, paved, with fuel.
Towered, paved, without fuel.
Towered, unpaved, with fuel.
Towered, unpaved, without fuel.
Non-towered, paved, with fuel.
Non-towered, paved, without fuel.
Non-towered, unpaved, with fuel.
Non-towered, unpaved, without fuel.

Unless you consider lighted vs unlighted, which would make it 16 kinds.

Or maybe open vs closed - making it 32.

On a point of pedantry - making it 18. A closed airport will neither be
lit nor towered nor fuel available by definition :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 15th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

OK, but if we go by the markings on the sectional, it's only 17. There
appears to be no distinction for paved vs unpaved closed airports.

I suppose we could add private to the list. Those also have no indication of
pavement, lighting, for fuel, or tower, so I guess we're back to 18.

Oh wait ... we forgot heliports.......

Old March 15th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Let me put it this way because this is another topic you mentioned. A
BFR. There is no such thing as a BFR. And when I hear other instructors
mention this I make sure I correct them. As a CFI there was a great
deal of time I spent covering the Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI).
One of the things I learned was the Law of Primacy. Here as an
Instructor this means that we should teach the material correctly so
that it has a long lasting effect on the student. 61.56 is called
Flight Review. No go do the right thing research it and read it, where
does it mention Biannual Flight Review. You'll find it doesn't, just
that a flight review must be every 24 calender months.

Cjamairway

Old March 15th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message

On a point of pedantry - making it 18. A closed airport will neither be
lit nor towered nor fuel available by definition :-)

It's not unusual for northern airports to be closed during and after a heavy
snowfall. Towers remain staffed, lights remain on, and FBOs remain eager to
sell fuel.

Old March 15th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...

Let me put it this way because this is another topic you mentioned. A
BFR. There is no such thing as a BFR. And when I hear other instructors
mention this I make sure I correct them. As a CFI there was a great
deal of time I spent covering the Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI).
One of the things I learned was the Law of Primacy. Here as an
Instructor this means that we should teach the material correctly so
that it has a long lasting effect on the student. 61.56 is called
Flight Review. No go do the right thing research it and read it, where
does it mention Biannual Flight Review. You'll find it doesn't, just
that a flight review must be every 24 calender months.

A flight review every 24 calendar months is a biennial flight review.

Old March 15th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
Stubby wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:
wrote:

Now show me where in the Aeronautical Information Manual
(AIM) or an FAA Approved government publication that mentions a class
B,C,D Airport. You will not find it...

You can find a few at
http://tinyurl.com/n5vuv

You are correct that "Towered airport with Class B Airspace designated for
it" is technically more correct than "Class B Airport", but this is a nit.
When you say, "Class B Airport", everybody knows what you're talking about,
and that's all that really matters.

And, anyway, everybody knows that:

Any of you who have thorough knowledge and understanding of
Airports will know that there are only two kinds of Airports in all of
our National Airspace System (NAS). There is Towered and Non-Towered
Airports.

Is incorrect. The two types of airports are those where you can get a good
burger and a coke for under $10, and those where you can't.

I heard there are two types of people: those that divide things in two
and those who don't.

Actually, there's 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary,
and those who don't.