Tacoma, WA - Narrows airport might be closing

Old April 20th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RL Anderson

Default Tacoma, WA - Narrows airport might be closing

C J Campbell wrote:
[Snip]

Hi C J,

That would violate a deal that was made when the airport was created.
Originally, Tacoma Narrows Airport was located in Tacoma, but Tacoma
promised that if that airport was closed for development then a new
airport (the present TIW) would be built. This is a binding contract
between Tacoma and the FAA, and Tacoma has yet to find a way to weasel
out of it. Not that they haven't tried, but even the Washington State
Supreme Court sided with the FAA.

I ran across an old map that shows where the old airport was located.
It shows that it was located approximately where University Place is
now. When I find the address for the chart, I'll post a link in this
thread. BTW, regarding the state supreme court, when did they side with
the FAA? I don't recall hearing about that.

Tacoma is going to keep on wasting taxpayers money trying to find a way
to close the airport, though, and their media clowns will keep on
badmouthing the airport. However, the airport has been designated as
essential to national security and it is an important FEMA disaster
preparedness point. Pierce County wants the airport, but Tacoma won't
turn it over to them because they know Pierce County wants a big
expansion there. All of this talk is motivated by a few politically
powerful people belonging to the Gig Harbor Merchants Association -- the
same people who prevented Wal-Mart from opening in Gig Harbor, stopped
the second Tacoma Narrows Bridge from being built, and kept Costco out
of Gig Harbor. Oops. The bridge is nearly done and the Costco is under
construction. Wal-Mart is just down the highway and they merchants lost
all their business anyway. Well, half of one out of four isn't bad. :-)
The odds of TIW being closed are about the same as that of Sea-Tac. It
could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm not a pilot, but I rent some space at Thun/KPLU. I was under the
impression, maybe wrongly, that Pierce County had no interest in TIW.
They have enough problems dealing with Thun. IMO, it would be nice to
have a second county-owned/operated airport, but I don't think that may
happen IIUYC. I don't know how busy TIW is, but it must be somewhat busy
if US Customs is available.

Regarding the Tacoma City Council media clowns, I second your comments.
All those in favor say "Aye".

Anyway, I guess that John Nance bases his King Air at TIW so I would
guess that they don't want to **** him off. After all, he could include
them in one of his future books. But I may be wrong grin.

Rick

Old April 21st 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

RL Anderson writes:

BTW, regarding the state supreme court, when did they side with
the FAA? I don't recall hearing about that.

In any case, Federal entities don't need the support of State supreme courts.
Their authority is determined at the national level.