Rental policy

Old May 7th 04, 11:02 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Robert wrote:
That should be a cost for the
FBO to eat, since it was their maintenance that didn't find the problem to
begin with. And once they eat the cost a few times, you can bet the
maintenance of the planes would improve. The radio would be replaced more
regularly, etc.

Or they'd go out of business or charge $20/hr more for the plane.
They probably already lose money on trip rentals. I'm convinced
that most FBOs only do it at all because it would be hard to sell
people on flight training if they knew up front they couldn't fly
beyond the hundred dollar hamburger.

This $1000 thing is psycological anyway. What if it was a club with
a non-refundable $1000 buy-in? No one would call that "unfair". If
you fly 100 hours a year the total rental on a 172 could vary by more
than $1000 easily! No one says the $85/hr 172 is unfair when compared
to the $75/hr 172. Heck, you didn't even say what the rate was! That
could dwarf this $1000 risk. I paid $2600 for insurance this year and
they won't do a damn thing for me if I break an alternator away from
home.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old May 7th 04, 11:55 PM
Teacherjh

What if it was a club with
a non-refundable $1000 buy-in?

An FBO exists to make money FOR THEM. A club does not. As a member of a club,
YOU get to determine policy.

Jose

Old May 8th 04, 08:10 AM
Judah

Hi Peter,
Do the math. Using HPN FBO rates, the cost for to hire a plane and a CFI
round trip to come "save" you works out to pretty close to $5/mi...

But I do agree - they should put in actual cost recovery. Not a flat
rate. If you get stuck in Bridgeport and the CFI can rent a one-way car
for $40 to get there?

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in
.net:

"John Harlow" wrote in message
news
Now if I could only afford my own plane.......

What would you do differently in this scenario if you had your own
plane?

You can do whatever you want. You can leave it there a week before
even calling a mechanic; you can just find a way home and deal with it
whenever you want. $5 a mile? Hire a plane and CFI from another FBO
to get you there cheaper. This is a rip-off, plain and simple. If
every FBO did that and I didn't own a plane I would give up flying
before renting under such terms.

How esle could they "have" you? I wouldn't trust those guys in the
least. I have yet to see a contract with ONE onerous clause. Either
there are none or there are a whole bunch in there, sometimes hidden.

Old May 8th 04, 05:37 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Judah" wrote in message
Hi Peter,
Do the math. Using HPN FBO rates, the cost for to hire a plane and a CFI
round trip to come "save" you works out to pretty close to $5/mi...

Arrrgggghhhh. "HPN, doing their part to show that Europe is NOT the most
expensive location for aviation..."

Old May 8th 04, 10:08 PM
Darkwing Duck \(The Duck, The Myth, The Legend\)

"David Megginson" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Shiver Me Timbers wrote:

If you take off in a plane you know needs to be repaired,
you are violating the FARs as well as the rental policy.

If anyone takes of in a plane that needs to be repaired this
armchair pilot and lurker says you are dumber than a
sack of hammers and a prime candidate for the darwin award.

That depends on the repair. Would you take off in a rental plane with a
badly-fit door seal that makes a whistling noise? What about one with a

U/S
ADF when you're flying VFR? Neither one of those is Darwin material or a
violation of regs (since the aircraft is still airworthy).

All the best,

David

What about duct tape on a load bearing structure?

Old May 8th 04, 10:20 PM
Judah

Hahaha.

Could be worse - could be TEB!

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in
.net:

Old May 8th 04, 10:58 PM
Peter Gottlieb

wrote in message ...

"David Megginson" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
That depends on the repair. Would you take off in a rental plane with a
badly-fit door seal that makes a whistling noise? What about one with a

U/S
ADF when you're flying VFR? Neither one of those is Darwin material or

violation of regs (since the aircraft is still airworthy).

What about duct tape on a load bearing structure?

What COLOR duct tape?

Old May 9th 04, 05:38 PM
Darkwing Duck \(The Duck, The Myth, The Legend\)

.net...

wrote in message ...

"David Megginson" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
That depends on the repair. Would you take off in a rental plane with

badly-fit door seal that makes a whistling noise? What about one with

U/S
ADF when you're flying VFR? Neither one of those is Darwin material

or
violation of regs (since the aircraft is still airworthy).

What about duct tape on a load bearing structure?

What COLOR duct tape?

Gray of course!

Old May 9th 04, 05:59 PM
Peter Gottlieb

wrote in message ...

"David Megginson" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
That depends on the repair. Would you take off in a rental plane

with
badly-fit door seal that makes a whistling noise? What about one

with
U/S
ADF when you're flying VFR? Neither one of those is Darwin material

or
violation of regs (since the aircraft is still airworthy).

What about duct tape on a load bearing structure?

What COLOR duct tape?

Gray of course!

Then you're cleared to go. I was just worried about those "designer" color
tapes.