Get a ferry permit, or just fly it?

Old November 28th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Dot

Default Get a ferry permit, or just fly it?

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
If you've got a small problem with your plane, do you bother with a ferry
permit, or do you just fly it if you think it's safe?

Hypothetical: Say your (shared) plane has gotten some damage, say for
instance a wingtip strobe/nav light assembly got scraped off against a
hangar while it was being towed. Say that the wires are secured with duct
tape and the person who did the damage flew it home like that. Also say
that the company that does the work on your plane isn't at your home
airport. Would you wait for a good VFR day and fly it over to that
company, or would you go through all the hassle of getting a local
mechanic to inspect it and apply for a ferry permit?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"I have a step-ladder. It's a very nice ladder and all, but I wish I had

Ferry permits are for planes that are not currently certified, e.g. not been
inspected with a year. At least this is my understanding.

Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org

Old November 28th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Danny Dot wrote:

Ferry permits are for planes that are not currently certified, e.g. not been
inspected with a year. At least this is my understanding.

Not correct, it has nothing to do with the annual. A plane that is out
of annual can get a ferry permit but being out of annual is not a
prerequisite.

Old November 28th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Danny Dot" wrote in message

Ferry permits are for planes that are not currently certified, e.g. not
been inspected with a year. At least this is my understanding.

Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org

Ferry permits are granted for aircraft that are otherwise unairworthy but
have been deemed safe to fly under specific and limited guidelines. Being
out of annual and need to be moved in order to receive an annual is just one
reason.

Old November 28th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Judah wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
oups.com:

If the FAA finds out that the plane has not been properly maintained, they
are obviously going to take action to ensure that the problem gets
corrected. In reality, all the pilots who flew it in that condition may
have violated FAA regulations. However, as a CFI, you are not only supposed
to know how to determine if the plane was safe, you are also supposed to be
training pilots how to do the same. If, after being chastised by the FAA,
you STILL don't know what the problem was, or how to have detected it, I
would be concerned that you do not take seriously your RESPONSIBILITY as a
CFI to both your students and to the FAA.

I guess that's me. I can't remember the last time I took an inspection
panel off and noticed a lose bell crank on the aileron assembly. I
can't remember the last time I checked the bolts that secure the seat
to the plane. I think you have a *very* optimistic view of the FSDO. In
this case, the FSDO had a beef with the FBO and wanted to scare CFIs
away.

-Robert, CFII

Old November 29th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
oups.com:

Judah wrote:
[...]

Maybe... FSDOs are run by people, and certainly not all people are
reasonable. There used to be a guy at the local FSDO who was clearly just a
ballbuster, and didn't really care about his job, about aviation, or about
his responsibilty to the public. Certainly there are others like him out
there, but I suspect that the FAA in general is not overrun with people
like him.

I also can't imagine that a FSDO inspector simply walked up to the plane
and randomly opened an inspection panel and found a loose bell crank. Could
it be that there was some other symptom that caused the inspector to draw
his attention there? Perhaps this symptom should have been noticed by a
pilot and especially a CFI?
Old November 29th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Judah wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
oups.com:
I also can't imagine that a FSDO inspector simply walked up to the plane
and randomly opened an inspection panel and found a loose bell crank. Could
it be that there was some other symptom that caused the inspector to draw
his attention there? Perhaps this symptom should have been noticed by a
pilot and especially a CFI?

No, the FSDO does onsite inspections of all FBO's in the district at
least once every two years. Sometimes its a paperwork inspection, other
times they pick a couple of airplanes and disassemble them. I spoke
with several FBOs about this and they had all had this inspection done
at least once. Some did better than others. At some point I think the
FSDO is going to require all CFI's to have a valid IA certificate
before they can instruct.

-Robert

Old November 29th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Dot

"Newps" wrote in message

Danny Dot wrote:

Ferry permits are for planes that are not currently certified, e.g. not
been inspected with a year. At least this is my understanding.

Not correct, it has nothing to do with the annual. A plane that is out of
annual can get a ferry permit but being out of annual is not a
prerequisite.

Thanks for the information. I gather if the plane is in annual, but
"damaged" the rules state the pilot in command makes a decision if the plane
is air worthy????

Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org