Puchaz spin count 23 and counting

Old February 10th 04, 06:19 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Todd Pattist wrote:
Martin Gregorie wrote:

I *think* it depends on the make of chute. I don't own one, so my
smart-alek answer would be "on or before the expiry date of the
packing slip".

In the U.S. it's independent of chute make (unless it's made
of material like silk - which none are) and it must be
repacked every 120 days. I was just wondering if this is
variable around the world. I've heard repackers tell me
they believe the 120 day period is extremely conservative.
I wondered if the other regulating bodies around the world
use that interval. Anyone?

Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

I'd bet that I could take a dozen emergency chutes, varying in
date of most recent packing over the past year,
and give them to a master rigger with over 5000 chutes
packed, and have him line them up, inspect them, and order them
by the age HE thinks they were repacked, and have him
do no better than a random ordering.

This is assuming there were no AD's over the year of course

120 days is quite the overkill...

http://www.afn.org/skydive/equip/repack-cycle.html

http://www.pia.com/piapubs/pia_posit...day_repack.htm

There have been attempts to get this to 180 days (which
is internationally and in the military a fairly common standard).

Old February 10th 04, 06:22 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Pete Zeugma wrote:
At 07:48 10 February 2004, Mark James Boyd wrote:
BAToulson wrote:

and then I'd show them the statistics for
lightning strikes and prove that wearing a chute increased
the
chance of being hit by lightening, and this was a much
greater risk than what we estimated was the risk of

being the first fatal accident in the 2-33 in over
30 years,
much less one that might require a chute...

A short while after the then CFI of the London Gliding
Club mandated all training flights will use chutes,
one of our K21's was hit by a lightning strike which
travelled horizontally some 3-4 miles. The glider was
totaly destroyed, with the tail only attached by it's
control cables. Both pilot and student bailed out and
landed safely (bar a few breaks). Had this been prior
to Jed's time as CFI, we would have had two more dead
pilots.

SEE!! Wearing a parachute attracts lightning strikes!
Who wants that?

OK JUST KIDDING!!! :PPPP
Old February 10th 04, 08:14 PM
Bruce Greeff

Mark James Boyd wrote:
Bruce Greeff wrote:

Todd Pattist wrote:
Now I know that you can recover, without too much drama from a spin at that
height, and how to do it. Until you have done it you have no idea - the actual
spin is not different, but the scenery/experience is.

Multiple ordinary ,and accelerated and even one inverted spin in a Pitts S2 was
interesting and fun, at 3000-4000AGL. The "boring, docile" K13 was heart
stopping at 800'.

If I ever do it inadvertently, at least I have processed the mental stuff
relating to spinning this low at least twice. Got a better chance of not choking
up and making a mess of the recovery. That would be regrettable, because, as has
been noted correctly there is very little margin for error.
Was quite satisfied with the safety aspect with an instructor who has been
teaching this for 40+ years sitting in the back of an immaculate K13, in still
air. Would have my doubts about doing it with most others though...

Full deflection of controls at low altitude, and jamming possibly caused by
negative G's (and some flying object) makes me nervous...

"little margin for error" indeed...

Hardly full control deflection - that's the point. Slow, wide turn close to
stall only takes a little nudge to get the canopy full of brown stuff.
Old February 10th 04, 09:22 PM
ADP

This, quite possibly, is the dumbest thing I have ever read. To wit:

ADVICE TO INSTRUCTORS

"A very experienced instructor flying a docile two seater in
ideal conditions may be prepared to initiate a brief spin from 800'."

A very experienced instructor initiating any type of spin with a student
in
any type of glider at 800' AGL ought to have his or her head examined. In
addition,
one hopes that one's will is up to date.

Allan

"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." wrote in message
JJ,

I usually respect your postings, but this time you have written arrogant
nonsense, and I am afraid you have wound me up.