CFI without commercial?

Old March 4th 05, 10:32 PM
Jim Burns

Ask John Lynch.... oh, nevermind... he quit taking questions due to his high
workload.

Is this the same FAA that deemed "free" flight time to be compensation
itself if it's used to gain another certificate?

There is no "same" FAA, just ask them.

How can an instructor log flight time if he isn't flying?

That's the old "Acting as PIC" and being able to "log PIC time". Always
considered two differant things and an FAA'ism.

Old March 4th 05, 10:46 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

How can an instructor log flight time if he isn't flying?

That's the old "Acting as PIC" and being able to "log PIC time". Always
considered two differant things and an FAA'ism.

Considering doesn't make it so. An instructor logs flight time because he's
been flying.

Old March 4th 05, 11:19 PM
Jim Burns

An instructor does not log flight time.

He logs instruction given and he logs PIC time. None of my log books have a
column for "flight time".
Because it is legal to log PIC time for the time during which flight
instruction is given, he is able to log PIC time even if he never acts as
PIC, and even if the aircraft never leaves the ground, thus, he can log PIC
time when he isn't flying and he never logs "flight time".

The fact that the instructor is physically in the airplane does not mean
that the instructor is acting as PIC. The fact that the instructor is able
to log PIC time for that time he gives flight instruction does not mean that
the instructor has to act as PIC in order to log that time.

The fact that the instructor sits in the airplane and that flapping his arms
provides no significant lift is proof that the instructor is not flying,
only the airplane is flying, the student and instructor are acting as
pilots, in one form or another.

Old March 4th 05, 11:49 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

An instructor does not log flight time.

Of course they do, don't be silly.

He logs instruction given and he logs PIC time. None of my log books have
column for "flight time".

PIC time is flight time.

Because it is legal to log PIC time for the time during which flight
instruction is given, he is able to log PIC time even if he never acts as
PIC, and even if the aircraft never leaves the ground, thus, he can log
PIC
time when he isn't flying and he never logs "flight time".

PIC time is not the issue. The fact is that flight instructors are flying
for hire because they're flying and they're being paid while they're doing
it. That may bother you no end but that's the way it is, there's simply no
way around the logic.

Old March 5th 05, 12:23 AM
Jose

That may bother you no end but that's the way it is, there's simply no
way around the logic.

The FAA finds ways around logic all the time.

g,d
Jose
--
Math is a game. The object of the game is to figure out the rules.
Old March 5th 05, 02:40 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

That's your opinion, not the FAA's, and yours is not the one that matters.

Actually, it's not an opinion at all.

Old March 5th 05, 02:55 AM
Jim Burns

PIC time is not the issue. The fact is that flight instructors are flying
for hire because they're flying and they're being paid while they're doing
it. That may bother you no end but that's the way it is, there's simply

no
way around the logic.

That's your opinion, not the FAA's, and yours is not the one that matters.
I'll wait for word from them that you've convinced them to change the
Preamble to Part 61, but I won't hold my breath.

Old March 5th 05, 04:06 AM
George Patterson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"George Patterson" wrote in message

No, the flying is incidental to the job, which is teaching.

What is it that they're teaching?

That's completely unimportant in this discussion. The job is teaching, not
flying.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 5th 05, 04:10 AM
George Patterson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Considering doesn't make it so. An instructor logs flight time because he's
been flying.

Not usually. He's been in an aircraft that someone else is flying. IIRC, none of
my instructors have done any flying during any training I've taken since I got
my PPSEL certificate.

Old March 5th 05, 05:25 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"George Patterson" wrote in message

That's completely unimportant in this discussion. The job is teaching, not
flying.

What are they teaching?