Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

Old December 5th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

Default Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

Montblack wrote:
("bbutlergps" wrote)
I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested in
going the route of a diesel.

I like the Toyota (Yaris, and other models) 1.4 D-4D (ALL Aluminum) Turbo
Diesel engine

I'm having trouble finding a variety of good links to the engine's specs.

Toyota .................1.4 D-4D
Horsepower ........90 @ 3,800
Torque ...............190 @ 1,800-3,000
Weight ..................99kg
(weight includes many extras: turbos for one)

From the below link:
"...VVT-i continuous variable valve timing although Daihatsu called it
"DVVT" instead (D for Daihatsu?)"

This is on the normally aspirated 1.3 model. I suspect the 1.4 D4-D is also
DVVT --- which is a plus for Sport Pilot applications, since constant speed
props are out.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y75lou
(Same link as below ...wait for it)

R.A.H. April 13, 2006
"Toyota (aluminum) Diesel 1.4 D-4D ...89 bhp"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...d5049bec028d5b

http://www.geocities.com/plane_diesel/index2.html
Good info on the Toyota Ya(n)is 1.4 Turbo Diesel engine

In conclusion:
1. Toyota 1.4 D4-D should be able to turn a prop at 2400-3000, WITHOUT
needing a PSRU.
2. Direct injected Turbo Diesel will do well with this LSA requirement: "A
maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not
more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level."
3. If it's a single seat LSA, the weight penalty is not as much of an
issue.
4. Throttled back to 2400rpm, I would think the 1.4 D4-D would cruise
around all day @ (under) 2 GPH ...just a guess. g
5. Turbo cruise would mean Sport Pilot/LSA flights @ 8k-10k ft might see
140-150 kts (GPS) ground speeds. ...just a guess. g

Montblack-smoke-out-the-exhaust-pipe

Montblack,
Thanks so much for this type of information. Are you in Euro? Keeping
it coming.
Thanks again,
Bill

Old December 5th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

Montblack wrote:

I own this engine in my car...

In conclusion:
1. Toyota 1.4 D4-D should be able to turn a prop at 2400-3000,
WITHOUT needing a PSRU.

But with low power: around 47kW/65HP at 2500 and near 110kg with all
accessories, water and oil.
On the optimistic side, you may have 75HP at 3000 rpm.

I thnik it's better to built a PSRU and turn the propeller at 2200rpm
for 3500 engine rpm. You add 5-10kg and get 15-20HP

3. If it's a single seat LSA, the weight penalty is not as much of an
issue.
4. Throttled back to 2400rpm, I would think the 1.4 D4-D would cruise
around all day @ (under) 2 GPH ...just a guess. g

I think 4GPH would be more real. I consider 3,5 to 4 GPH for 65HP.
I take 180g/h/HP for fuel burn (or 395lb/h/HP)

5. Turbo cruise would mean Sport Pilot/LSA flights @ 8k-10k ft might
see 140-150 kts (GPS) ground speeds. ...just a guess. g

True, I like turbo for that... Consider that automotive turbo may stall
earlier than airplane ones.

We have some small diesel in Europe, but few are realy light and
reliable.

By
--
Pub: http://www.slowfood.fr/france
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old December 5th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

bbutlergps wrote:

This is on the normally aspirated 1.3 model. I suspect the 1.4 D4-D
is also DVVT --- which is a plus for Sport Pilot applications, since
constant speed props are out.

No VVT on any diesel to day.

My diesel dream
http://www.daihatsu.com/motorshow/frankfurt05/pdf/e.pdf

read from page 25 about 2CDDI-2

but it seems to be vapor...

By

Old December 6th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

Philippe Vessaire wrote:
Montblack wrote:

[...]

With that weight at 110 kg or 242 lbs might be over my weight limit.
Could that engine that you have in your car be chipped up to increase
the HP? What model car is it?
Thanks,
Bill

Old December 6th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

bbutlergps wrote:

With that weight at 110 kg or 242 lbs might be over my weight limit.
Could that engine that you have in your car be chipped up to increase
the HP? What model car is it?

The car: corolla (55-60 mpg car)
the engine: 1364cm³ 90HP@3800rpm

try http://www.toyota.co.uk
and read all about the Yaris (Echo) and Corolla and the D-4D engines.
Toyota engine name: 1NDTV

Note: the torque decrease slitly after 3000rpm, max value is 190Nm flat
from 1800rpm to 3000rpm.

I think you may tune up to 105-110HP.
read he http://www.tuningbox.com/ for Corolla 1.4 D4D

You may cut out come cast fittings and save little weight. With 2
gallons for cooling fluid, one radiator and hoses, you add 14-15lbs.

If you need to save more weight, you may consider less fuel.

I am thinking about a basic engine ECU with a sychronised monostable,
4 sensors and 4 OR gates.
It is too simple, a manifold pressure correction is required as fuel
injection time (and flow) correction.

A friend think about megasquirt ECU
http://www.megasquirt.info/

By

Old December 6th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
PH-CAQ

bbutlergps schreef:

Howdy,
I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested
in going the route of a diesel. Would anybody have any information on
either the:
Smart (Mercedes) 3 cyl. 95 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 112
hp) found in the Smart ForFour or VW Lupo or Fox (euro) 3 cyl. 1.4
liter 70 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 108 hp)
What I am most interested in is weight and the PSRU.
Thanks,
Bill

Bill
don't consider chiptuning the smart engine. It was not designed for it
and no body has any experience with it. Beside that the engine is not
available in the US. Look at http://www.ecofly.de/english.htm
The VW diesel is an interesting one. Some club members are working on a
conversion, but keep in mind, the engine is heavy
I use a BMW R1100 rs on a Pelican. A well designed PSRU comming from
germany (http://www.takeoff-ul.de/) gives me 95 kts and 3,5 gallon
fuel/hour

Ton (the Netherlands)

Old December 7th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

("bbutlergps" wrote)
Thanks so much for this type of information. Are you in Euro?

Nope. Minnesota.

Montblack

Old December 7th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

PH-CAQ wrote:
bbutlergps schreef:

Howdy,
[...]

Ton,
I have seen pictures of the Smart Mercedes Turbo Diesel in both a
Zenith 701 and 601, an FK 9 (Eco Fly) as well as an ultralight "Rohmas"
(sp?). I have also seen in Poland a trike with the VW Lupo turbo diesel
engine as well. Some of the comments I have gotten isn't too great
mostly about lack of HP. The Smart Engines that were being used were
the smaller ones found in the TwoFour. I am interested in the weight of
the larger ones found in the ForFour? Here in the US we aren't too
bright cutting production of diesel in automotive industry. Damiler
Chrysler has a diesel in the Jeep Liberty and other models will be
introduced soon. Honda will be having a diesel coming in the next
couple of years.
I know that Smart Diesel aren't here in the US but I would be willing
to look at have an engine shipped over from overseas.
I have had many questions answered and thank you. The one that I don't
have an answer for is the wieght of the Smart ForFour Turbo Diesel
Engine, anybody?
Thanks,
Bill

Old December 7th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

On 7 Dec 2006 06:41:35 -0800, "bbutlergps"
wrote:

PH-CAQ wrote:
bbutlergps schreef:

Howdy,
[...]

Forget overseas - just hop north across the border into Canada. We've
hat the Smart TD for several years now. (I've never seen a wreck
though)

Old December 8th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:28:40 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

On 7 Dec 2006 06:41:35 -0800, "bbutlergps"
wrote:

PH-CAQ wrote:
bbutlergps schreef:

Howdy,
[...]

We only get the twofour though. I guess it's an Ontario beer thing