A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pawnee TOST Hook Installation FAA Paperwork

Old November 10th 19, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

Default Pawnee TOST Hook Installation FAA Paperwork

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 8:55:51 AM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:
I guess the only real advantage of having a standard airworthiness certificate is you could do what you want with the airplane when you’re not towing. Take a restricted Pawnee into Johnson Creek and hang out with the Super Cub guys. FAA might take a dim view.

The FAA could care less about taking a restricted class plane into Johnson Creek. Many other types of planes come to the fly-in other than super cubs. From my experiences most all super cub fliers would love to fly the Pawnee..
Old November 10th 19, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Yeah so I guess you make my point. It’s advantageous to have a Pawnee with a standard airworthiness certificate as opposed to restricted. Who knows what the FAA would do. I have a bunch of experience in Super Cubs and Pawnees by the way. The Pawnee is far easier to fly and has that awesome O540! I am dreaming about how to stuff it into a Super Cub.
Old November 10th 19, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Look up Mike Patey and his Carbon Cub rebuild with the 8-cylinder Lycoming.

On 11/9/2019 8:41 PM, Charles Longley wrote:
Yeah so I guess you make my point. It’s advantageous to have a Pawnee with a standard airworthiness certificate as opposed to restricted. Who knows what the FAA would do. I have a bunch of experience in Super Cubs and Pawnees by the way. The Pawnee is far easier to fly and has that awesome O540! I am dreaming about how to stuff it into a Super Cub.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 10th 19, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 10:41:44 PM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:

Good morning Charlie, can you please explain why the restricted category is such a disadvantage. I have owned three Pawnee's, flew the Super Cub for many years, I really would like to understand your reasoning.
Old November 10th 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Good morning Bob. From a club standpoint it probably doesn’t make much difference. From a possible personal airplane that you let out for towing it would make difference. Restricted means just that. Towing glider or whatever the restriction is, ferry flights, training flights, etc. Look at 91.313

Standard Airworthiness certificate with a 337 for the tow hook is a reasonable route to go.
Old November 10th 19, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

I can’t find it. Mike Patey does some pretty cool stuff! Bummer on Draco.
I wonder if an O540 is practical in a Super Cub?
Old November 10th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Tim:
Do you need paperwork for the Tost reel system? Or just the Tost hook?
I think I may have it for the reel.
Roy
Old November 10th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Roy,
We are good now. Have what we need and towed this weekend with our new Pawnee.
Old November 11th 19, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 9:30:01 AM UTC-5, Charles Longley wrote:
Good morning Bob. From a club standpoint it probably doesn’t make much difference. From a possible personal airplane that you let out for towing it would make difference. Restricted means just that. Towing glider or whatever the restriction is, ferry flights, training flights, etc. Look at 91.313

Standard Airworthiness certificate with a 337 for the tow hook is a reasonable route to go.

Good evening Charlie, it actually is up to the FSDO to determine if they want to change the restriction application. Some of them just leave them the way they were and do not worry about changing the restriction classification. Why change it?? Are you planning on teaching in the PAwnee, that would be very uncomfortable. There is no provision that states that you cannot fly the Pawnee anywhere you wish, I have had a couple of mine into some pretty big airports and never had an inspector ask me what I was spraying.
Keeping the Pawnee in the restricted category brings about many benefits. Bob
Old November 11th 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Evening Bob,

What are the benefits of staying in the restricted category? I am really curious. All 3 of the Pawnees I fly have a standard airworthiness certificate.

Regards,
Charlie