Planes named after birds

Old April 24th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Planes named after birds

Ron Natalie wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Some aircraft named after birds:

Lark (or is that named after a cigarette...show us your Lark pack!)

Sounds like an ad campaign before my time. :-)

Some aircraft named after plants:
?

Spruce goose (of course, that's not it's real name)

Hmmm. I considered that but wasn't sure whether it would fly - I guess my
thinking was rather wooden. Ahem.

Some aircraft named after land animals:

Cub! You forgot the cub?

I forgot or overlooked a lot! But I think "cub" is perhaps a little too
broad since it can mean "the young of certain carnivorous mammals such as
the bear or wolf or lion":

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=cub

By the way, I used this site as one source (very handy):

http://marchairmuseum.com/rouen01.php
"This list of 2892 airplane names (on ten pages) was compiled by Ed Rouen,
who for many years was the chief cataloger of the library at the San Diego
Aerospace Museum."
Old April 24th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old April 24th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Jim Logajan wrote:
Hmmm. I considered that but wasn't sure whether it would fly - I guess my
thinking was rather wooden. Ahem.

Didn't it fly for about 120' or something?

Old April 24th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Erik wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Hmmm. I considered that but wasn't sure whether it would fly - I
guess my thinking was rather wooden. Ahem.

Didn't it fly for about 120' or something?

It actually flew for over a mile. Hughes kept the plane maintained at
"flight ready" status for over 33 years - at a cost of about one million
dollars a year:

http://www.sprucegoose.org/aircraft_.../exhibits.html

I've been to the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville Oregon and have,
like many visitors, been able to walk around inside the Spruce Goose (or at
least a small part of it). The Evergreen museum is nice in that they have
both the fastest plane there (the Blackbird - and at the time I visited
they had a similarly designed drone vehicle) and the largest (Spruce
Goose). I'd recommend it for anyone visiting Oregon.

Oh yeah - the thing I didn't think would "fly" was my inclusion of the
Spruce Goose under "Planes named after plants". The plane obviously flew
fine. :-)
Old April 24th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jim Logajan wrote:

It actually flew for over a mile. Hughes kept the plane maintained at
"flight ready" status for over 33 years - at a cost of about one
million dollars a year:

Now that is an expensive annual.

Old April 24th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jim Logajan" wrote

Oh yeah - the thing I didn't think would "fly" was my inclusion of the
Spruce Goose under "Planes named after plants". The plane obviously flew
fine. :-)

I'm not so sure that the Spruce Goose did fly fine. With that large of a
wingspan, on the only flight that it ever did, it never left ground effect.
I have theorized that Hughes knew that he did not have enough reserve lift
to leave ground effect, and so never flew it again.

I realize that there were a lot of "situations" around his attitude about
the plane and the government's attitude about the plane, but I still would
think that he would have flown it again, in a real flight test, if it had
performed as he had hoped.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 24th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

On 2007-04-23 19:16:56 -0600, Jose said:

A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
airplane named after it?"

Dodo.

Woodpecker.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

http://www.akaflieg.vo.tum.de/Englis...History_E.html

In 1951, the Mü10 'Milan' was re-activated from the German Museum in Munich
where the glider had survived the war. Three gliders - a Mü13 reproduction,
the "Spatz" (sparrow) and the "Specht" (woodpecker) - were acquired, later a
Klemm tow plane was added.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old April 25th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

On Apr 24, 6:12 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Jose wrote:
A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
airplane named after it?"

Dodo.

Turkey or Chicken? G

Vulture. Although there is an ultralight called the L'il Buzzard.

Old April 25th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris

more after birds:

Harrier
Vampire (well it flies)
Seagull
Swift
Dove
Heron
Blackbird

Bugs

Gnat (Foland)
Scorpion

Fish

Swordfish (Fairey)

Land Sea & Animals

Vixen
Hind
Walrus
Sea otter
Seal
Beaver
Buffalo
Caribou
Chipmunk
Flamingo

Weather Phenomenon

Tempest
Typhoon
Hurricane
Thunderbolt

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:
Are there any planes named after birds?

Lots.

Some aircraft named after birds:
Osprey
Hummingbird
Shrike
Albatross
Hawk
Falcon
Goshawk
Robin
Condor
Nightingale
Raven

Some aircraft named after bugs:
Grasshopper
Mosquito
Hornet
Wasp
Moth
Black Widow

Some aircraft named after plants:
?

Some aircraft named after aquatic animals:
Dolphin
Stingray

Some aircraft named after land animals:
Camel
Buffalo
Caribou
Moose
Snake
Bobcat
Cobra
Bearcat
Mustang
Cougar

Old April 25th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-04-24 14:36:02 -0700, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at

On 2007-04-23 19:16:56 -0600, Jose said:

A better question would be "Is there a bird that doesn't have an
airplane named after it?"

Dodo.

Woodpecker.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

http://www.akaflieg.vo.tum.de/Englis...History_E.html

In 1951, the Mü10 'Milan' was re-activated from the German Museum in Munich
where the glider had survived the war. Three gliders - a Mü13 reproduction,
the "Spatz" (sparrow) and the "Specht" (woodpecker) - were acquired, later a
Klemm tow plane was added.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Hahahaha. They named a plane after a woodpecker. That somehow just
tickles my funny bone.

Okay, did they ever name an aircraft after the archaeopteryx?