What a Landing!

Old January 28th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

Default What a Landing!

What a Landing looks like it was flat and way to fast!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/14446792.html
Old January 28th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

What a Landing looks like it was flat and way to fast!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/14446792.html

When we were in Wisconsin yesterday a guy landed his Champ in the snow
alongside the runway. Luckily he was on skis, and was presumably on his way
back from the ski plane fly-in in Oshkosh!

We didn't see him land, and it was kinda startling, seeing the plane parked
off in the deep snow. At first, we thought he had crash-landed.

The guy had to go through quite a production to fuel (carrying cans over
from the pump -- no way to get the truck to his plane) and to depart (pick
up the rear end, and turn the plane around 180 degrees, which looked like no
fun at all in the deep snow) -- but he seemed to be having a good time
nonetheless.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 28th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

It's hard to say it was flat and fast. The snow drag on the mains
would have pitched the nosewheel down even if he was making a soft
field landing.

Great technique for short fields. Let's see, if you can walk away from
it it's a good landing, and if the airplane can be used again, a great
one. One out of two, huh?

Old January 28th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

What a Landing looks like it was flat and way to fast!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/14446792.html

When we were in Wisconsin yesterday a guy landed his Champ in the snow
alongside the runway. Luckily he was on skis, and was presumably on
his way back from the ski plane fly-in in Oshkosh!

Luckily?

Wow, good thing those things appeared all the sudden, eh?

We didn't see him land, and it was kinda startling, seeing the plane
parked off in the deep snow. At first, we thought he had
crash-landed.

Boggle.

The guy had to go through quite a production to fuel (carrying cans
over from the pump -- no way to get the truck to his plane) and to
depart (pick up the rear end, and turn the plane around 180 degrees,
which looked like no fun at all in the deep snow)

Uh yeh.

-- but he seemed to
be having a good time nonetheless.

God what an idiot you are.

Bertie

Old January 28th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Tina wrote:
It's hard to say it was flat and fast. The snow drag on the mains
would have pitched the nosewheel down even if he was making a soft
field landing.

Great technique for short fields. Let's see, if you can walk away from
it it's a good landing, and if the airplane can be used again, a great
one. One out of two, huh?

On Jan 28, 9:01 am, NW_Pilot wrote:
What a Landing looks like it was flat and way to fast!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/14446792.html

What always gets me laughing is when the media refers to the aircraft's
"top" instead of it's back. You'd think that since the Wright's flew at
Kittyhawk these people reporting constantly on aviation would at least
have learned that an airplane to a pilot doesn't actually have a "top" :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 28th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 28, 6:01*am, NW_Pilot wrote:
What a Landing looks like it was flat and way to fast!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/14446792.html

I don't have a lot of snow flying experience but I would think that a
couple feet of soft powder would be a bad place to land a 172
regardless of the touch down speed.

-Robert
Old January 28th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Jan 28, 8:01*am, NW_Pilot wrote:
What a Landing looks like it was flat and way to fast!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/14446792.html

Two things surprise me about this. One - how short the landing "roll"
was. It looks like it stopped in about 50 feet. I would have thought
it would take a longer skid than that to stop the airplane. Two - the
nose gear didn't collapse!

Phil
Old January 28th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in news:3df80bdb-00ac-49f4-baa5-
:

On Jan 28, 6:01*am, NW_Pilot wrote:
What a Landing looks like it was flat and way to fast!

http://www.katu.com/news/local/14446792.html

I don't have a lot of snow flying experience but I would think that a
couple feet of soft powder would be a bad place to land a 172
regardless of the touch down speed.

Yeah, if you're aware of the depth it's not so bad. I've been in snow tha
deep without skis and the landing can be tricky, but the airplane will
definitely stay upright if you touch down slowly and keep the nose up.
Getting out is a bigger problem unless you are very light and have a lot of
room and a bit of horseposer, but I've gotten a 150 out of snow that
deep.It's definitely a dicey operation though.

Bertie
Old January 28th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 28, 10:34*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in news:3df80bdb-00ac-49f4-baa5-
:

Yeah, if you're aware of the depth it's not so bad. I've been in snow tha
deep without skis and the landing can be tricky, but the airplane will
definitely stay upright if you touch down slowly and keep the nose up.
Getting out is a bigger problem unless you are very light and have a lot of
room and a bit of horseposer, but I've gotten a 150 out of snow that
deep.It's definitely a dicey operation though.

When I was flying the PA-18 my greatest fear was getting water on the
top of the floats. As long as you kept your touch down speed low and
your nose high you were fine, but if you let the floats dig in you
could end up inverted quickly (so I'm told). The tricky part was doing
so when the water was glassy since we didn't have a VSI. You just held
the nose up, hanging on the prop, until you heard a splash. If your
butt felt a sink before you hit you added power. I would assume that
snow flying must be similar.

-Robert
Old January 28th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
:

[...]

Don;t know since my float flying is very lmited and I'm not rated, but
yeah, I guess so. The takeoff is a sort of short field deal. plenty of
flap and full aft stick, the idea being to get it up and out of the snow
ASAP. almost planing on it. I've never done it in a taildragger, but I
think that would be more of a problem. I've flown taildraggers on skis
though and that's a non-event. It's incredibly easy, in fact.

Bertie