iGlide functionality

Old October 10th 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default iGlide functionality

In an effort not to hijack a recent thread any more than I've already done, I decided to start this thread here to deal with any/all my questions regarding this software.

I'm running the "Lite" version of this currently on an iPhone XS Max. So far it is pretty basic in that it will log my flights with a moving map display. I've attempted to customize the boxes at the top and bottom of the screen, but on some flights recently, there are some features that just don't seem to work. I'm not sure if this is because its the Lite version, or if its because of something else. I did notice in a recent link to the online manual that it mentioned somewhere that "some features won't work unless connected to an outside GPS source". I'm curious why that wouldn't work using the phone's built-in GPS. I wasn't able to get it to display glide ratio and am wondering if this is the problem.

I'll likely have more questions about different features, and will try to post them here in this thread unless appropriate for elsewhere. Thanks.
Old October 11th 19, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

I’ve never had an issue with using the phone or iPad GPS. The only thing I’ve connect to is the flarm using air connect. I have the expensive version and everything I’ve tried works well. Other than occasionally losing my saved routes, but that’s another thread.
Old October 11th 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 3:22:09 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
[...]

I'd think the glider L/D calculation would work even on the Lite. As far as an external GPS goes: I had in the past some difficulty with the WiFi link to the Air Vario dropping. In this case you will get a stale position for about 60 seconds or so, then it will default over to the iPhone GPS and barometrics. Several times this happened and I did not notice for a long period of time, the main tipoff being no instantaneous wind vectors and no Flarm targets. Other than that it worked remarkably well on internal sensors. I finally put up the navbox which indicates the source of the GPS data so I would know if it had disconnected.

I had that problem a few years ago for a couple of months, then it seemed to go away, never did discover the cause.