Soaring sites in New Hampshire

Old April 13th 14, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring sites in New Hampshire

On Saturday, February 25, 1995 5:38:56 PM UTC-5, Craig Knowles wrote:
Does anyone know whatever became of Northeast Gliderport in
Salem, NH? I took some lessons there years ago and wanted to
resume but the place is no longer in operation and seems to have
been converted into a golf course. In that line, are there any
sites left in NH or northern MAssachusetts at all known to
anyone?? Thanks in advance.

My husband, Donald Brasseur, was an instructor at the Gliderport in the 1960's. He flew the glider sequences for The Thomas Crown Affair movie, starring Steve McQueen, in 1968. Jim Doyle sold the gliderport to Joe and Ginny Dion. It has been closed for many years. Ginny passed away a few years ago and I think that Joe lives in Florida now. If you Google "Abandoned and Little Known Airfields, you will get some info. Good luck.
Old April 13th 14, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 4/12/2014 7:05 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, February 25, 1995 5:38:56 PM UTC-5, Craig Knowles wrote:
Does anyone know whatever became of Northeast Gliderport in
Salem, NH? I took some lessons there years ago and wanted to
resume but the place is no longer in operation and seems to have
been converted into a golf course. In that line, are there any
sites left in NH or northern MAssachusetts at all known to
anyone?? Thanks in advance.

More central than Northern Massachusetts - the Greater Boston Soaring
Club (
http://soargbsc.com) - I fly and instruct there. That's pretty
much it for Mass unless you want to go near the New York state line
(http://www.mohawksoaring.org/). For New Hampshire, there the Franconia
Soaring Assocation (http://franconiasoaring.org/) - a wonderfully scenic
site and great people. That's about it. There are about 3 locations in
Vermont.

My husband, Donald Brasseur, was an instructor at the Gliderport in the 1960's. He flew the glider sequences for The Thomas Crown Affair movie, starring Steve McQueen, in 1968. Jim Doyle sold the gliderport to Joe and Ginny Dion. It has been closed for many years. Ginny passed away a few years ago and I think that Joe lives in Florida now. If you Google "Abandoned and Little Known Airfields, you will get some info. Good luck.

I flew commercial rides there in the late 80's and early 90's. It closed
in 1993 to make way for a (gasp) golf course - as you said.

Tony "6N"

Old April 13th 14, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:56:37 PM UTC-4, Tony V wrote:

More central than Northern Massachusetts - the Greater Boston Soaring

Club (http://soargbsc.com) - I fly and instruct there.

I'm impressed that you are contributing to this thread 19 years after your initial post.
Old April 13th 14, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 4/12/2014 8:26 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:56:37 PM UTC-4, Tony V wrote:

More central than Northern Massachusetts - the Greater Boston Soaring

Club (http://soargbsc.com) - I fly and instruct there.

I'm impressed that you are contributing to this thread 19 years after your initial post.

LOL! It Just showed up as "new" on my server. On the other hand, maybe
there's something else going on. If Ginny Dion "passed away a few years
ago" 19 years ago, I was talking to an impressive standing corpse after
that date. :-)

Tony

Old April 13th 14, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:34:47 PM UTC-4, Tony V wrote:
If Ginny Dion "passed away a few years

ago" 19 years ago, I was talking to an impressive standing corpse after

that date. :-)

Not quite. In consideration of Mrs. Brasseur I'd point out that she posted in 2014.

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:05:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My husband, Donald Brasseur, was an instructor at the Gliderport in the 1960's.

If you search on Google for rec.aviation.soaring you will see a link to read RAS in a browser tab via the Google Groups interface. It will display the dates of the posts prominently. The drawback is that you will have to push different buttons than you're used to pushing with your current news reader.