Becker AR4201 Radio Transmission Problem

Old April 26th 14, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RMM

Default Becker AR4201 Radio Transmission Problem

Just purchased a used aircraft with a 5 year old Becker AR4201 radio that seems to work normally BUT no sound goes out on transmission. Previous owner says everything was fine prior to my purchase of the aircraft. No changes made. I am using the previous owner's Bose headsets. So I can understand the wiring was done correctly on initial installation.

The PTT click can be heard on the hand held radio opening the frequency, but no sound of the voice transmission is transmitted to the receiving handheld radio. Black triangle on top row shows the radio is transmitting. But no voice is coming through. Tried two different working headsets, one is a friends and is brand new. Same situation.

All functions on screen are normal. No error codes. Receives transmissions from the handheld radio and also receives the ATIS loud and clear.

What am I missing?

RMM

Old April 26th 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RMM

Thanks Travis..
Antenna was always connected when we had the unit powered up. So no chance of the PTT being depressed without the antenna being connected. I did not see that warning in my reading of the manual though. We did attach a new connector on the antenna cable at the radio end. But the ground at the connector was checked before attempting the use the radio. The antenna receives fine, as mentioned. So that does not seem to be the issue. Your response is much appreciated. Thanks
RMM

Old April 26th 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TravisBrown73[_2_]

Ah. Right you are, Sir.
I checked my 'hardware' section of my aircraft's documentation, and see that I was thinking of this: "Dummies Guide to Aircraft Antennas" hosted at Cumulus-Soaring.
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/xcom...es%20Guide.pdf

Lots of good info for me in there, including that bit about the antenna being connected (and in reasonable tune) prior to depressing the PTT. Don't know why he had to call me a 'dummy,' though. :-)
~Travis

Old April 26th 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
darrylr

[...]

It receives distant aircraft transmissions OK? Then the antenna is likely connected.

Wire a test microphone directly to the rear inputs of the radio and try that.
Old April 26th 14, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RMM

The radio uses a harness and has a Sigtronics 200S dual intercom installed.
Harness is here...
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...201harness.php
Sigtronics intercom is here...
http://www.sigtronics.com/pdf/air_pd...00S_E_INST.pdf
Where and how do you suggest wiring in the test microphone?
What type of microphone is suitable?

Thanks
RMM

It receives distant aircraft transmissions OK? Then the antenna is likely connected.
Wire a test microphone directly to the rear inputs of the radio and try that.

That does not work then send it off to Becker for repair.

Old April 27th 14, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:11:06 AM UTC-5, RMM wrote:
[...]

Similar problem turned out to be something called the modulator. Keying the mike only resulted in "click" noise being transmitted. I clearly could hear ATC saying they could hear the click but were not receiving any voice transmission from me. Cost a couple hundred to fix.
Old April 27th 14, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RMM

Thanks..
I will check the connections more closely tomorrow and if they look good, then Seems the unit must go to Becker in Florida.

Old April 27th 14, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

RMM wrote:
The radio uses a harness and has a Sigtronics 200S dual intercom installed.
Harness is here...
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...201harness.php
Sigtronics intercom is here...
http://www.sigtronics.com/pdf/air_pd...00S_E_INST.pdf
Where and how do you suggest wiring in the test microphone?
What type of microphone is suitable?

Thanks
RMM

It receives distant aircraft transmissions OK? Then the antenna is likely connected.
Wire a test microphone directly to the rear inputs of the radio and try that.

That does not work then send it off to Becker for repair.

Everything you need to know is in the install documentation for the radio.
If it is not clear what to do from that you need to find somebody to help
you.

It is precisely all the mic side of the wiring harness and intercom crap
you want to bypass in your test.

Darryl
Old April 27th 14, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RMM

My friend is an engine guy and a ham radio operator, but not an electronics tech. The aircraft is E-AB and I am trying to learn this stuff.

Seems if the D-Sub is disconnected the whole system goes down. I am unsure how to proceed.

If you could, please give a short description of the method used to do this. I can read the pin diagram and wiring diagrams. What type of procedure and gadgets do this kind of work.

Becker AR4201 Robin Birch[_2_] Soaring 0 April 21st 14 06:22 PM
Becker AR4201 Robin Birch[_2_] Soaring 0 April 21st 14 05:11 PM
BECKER AR4201 guts Soaring 1 April 23rd 12 08:50 PM
Becker AR4201 tuning problem Hellman Soaring 2 October 17th 08 11:14 PM
VHF Becker AR4201 Philippe Home Built 2 July 9th 04 08:30 PM