Soaring Sites near San Antonio?

Old March 18th 04, 03:34 PM
Mike

Default Soaring Sites near San Antonio?

Anyone familiar with the soaring opportunities within driving distance
of San Antonio? Best time of year to fly? Thanks.

Mike
Old March 18th 04, 03:37 PM
John Shelton

This ought to get some good answers.

When you Texicans respond, please do so colorfully.

om...

Old March 18th 04, 04:03 PM
Burt Compton

Anyone familiar with the soaring opportunities within driving distance
of San Antonio?

In Texas, a "short-drive" is a trip that does not cross the Texas state line.
Marfa is a day's drive west of San Antonio on I-10, or highway 90 in the
mountains of west Texas and near Big Bend National Park. If you choose scenic
highway 90, you can stop at Langtry, and see the restored office of Judge Roy
Bean, as featured in the movie.

But to the point, you can find all of the soaring sites in the USA and The
Republic of Texas (not a US State, by the way) at www.SSA.org Click on
"Where to Fly".

Your first choice near San Antonio is to soar at Boerne Stage Airfield.
Contact Bob Bruce at 830-981-2345 and see their webstie at www.5C1.net

Uvalde, TX is a contest site, but training and a tow is usually not available
except by prior arrangement.

Tows and training are available year-round at Marfa in west Texas, host of the
1970 World Soaring Contest and where "The Sun Ship Game" movie was filmed.

2004 Marfa Events:
April 3-11: Dick Johnson's annual Marfa Wave Camp.
May 28-30: "Wings and Wheels" Memorial Day weekend Fly-In for airplanes,
gliders, vintage cars and motorcycles.
June 1 - July 15: Texas Glider Rally - our annual xc soaring camp.

Yep, just a "short-drive".

Burt Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.FLYGLIDERS.com
800-667-9464

Old March 18th 04, 05:42 PM
303pilot

Burt appears to be the epitome of the true Texan who wasn't born here, but
got here as fast as he could.
A couple other options:
Just N. of Boerne Stage and Austin lies Fault Line Flyers in Briggs, TX.
A couple hours E of San Antonio gets you to either Soaring Club of Houston
or Greater Houston Soaring Association.

Old March 18th 04, 09:24 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Uvalde. August.

Austin has an active club. About the same distance as Uvalde. See
Burt's comments on a local San Antonio club. Check the SSA website for
more info.

Old March 18th 04, 10:21 PM
Robert de León

Nearest to San Antonio is Boerne Stage Airport, about 20 minutes north up
I-10 at Boerne, Tx. I believe there's a commercial operation and a private
club operating. Rentals available. Website: www.5C1.net

Nearby private clubs:
Fault Line Flyers (Austin area). Gliderport is near Briggs, Tx...a very nice
field. About 1.7hrs from SA.

Houston area (3+ hours from SA):
Greater Houston Soaring Association (southwest of Houston)
Soaring Club of Houston (northwest of Houston)

From: (Mike)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: 18 Mar 2004 06:34:54 -0800
Subject: Soaring Sites near San Antonio?

Old March 20th 04, 11:45 PM
Rod

When I was visiting Texas in September (I was born there) there was a 2-33
on tow about 35 minutes SE of San Antonio, near Karnes City. I'm not sure
what operation is near there. If you drive towards Corpus you can stop in at
Refugio, which is about 1 - 1-1/2 hours southeast of SA. Not very active
during the week, but they have a decent fleet of ships.

Rod