A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Replacing ELT, PLB with current tech.

Old October 13th 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

Default Replacing ELT, PLB with current tech.

I am looking to update my ELT and PLB.

I have a fixed ELT on my glider, it's an early 2000's era, and I also have a similar era PLB that is supposed to strap to a parachute, but frankly it is somewhat bulky.

What are the current generation PLB / ELT for gliding?

I'd like to get a single compact parachute attached device.

I have not researched this lately but have heard that some providers of active spot tracking type locators are increasing subscription pricing?

Looking for recommendations and reviews from those who may have used the available services.

Thanks
Mike
Old October 13th 19, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

I'd also like near real time online spot tracking. Just to be able to share flight status with family.
Although that's more of a "want to have", then a "need to have" feature.
Old October 13th 19, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 4:30:32 PM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:
I'd also like near real time online spot tracking. Just to be able to share flight status with family.
Although that's more of a "want to have", then a "need to have" feature.

You want Garmin inReach not Spot, all this has been discussed here in the past.

And an inReach would be my first choice, ELT and PLB secondary. In flight tracking is much more of a trustable system than hoping an ELT activates on a crash.

ELTs are pretty problematic. Do you want to pay the $$$ for a 406 MHz ELT? Where will you install it and it's antenna in a glider? With a RF opaque fuselage? I'd not be confident any ELT will activates reliably. A small ACR PLB on the parachute harness and inReach tracker doing high-update reports mounted in the cockpit seems a better compromise. Make sure your ground crew/club/FBO understands how to monitor you via inReach, and how to two-way message you. make sure your PLB is registered. And make sure your crew/club/FBO know you have a PLB.
Old October 13th 19, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

Reviewing In Reach VS Spot, seems the same, however the In Reach service fee looks to be significantly higher.

Comments, or am I missing something.
Old October 13th 19, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 9:32:47 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
Reviewing In Reach VS Spot, seems the same, however the In Reach service fee looks to be significantly higher.

Inreach safety plan. About $150 a year. Tracking additional, but cheap ($0.60 an hour).

T8
Old October 13th 19, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:32:47 PM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:

I've used ELTs, PLBs, SPOT 1, SPOT 2, InReach and APRS over 2m band.
It's evident thst the new SPOTs (3?) do not report altitude as predictably as InReach. Many tracking reports will show zero MSL.
I don't know if you can send and receive text messages to any number by coupling a phone via bluetooth to a SPOT. It may be possible. The InReach does that with their Earthmate app. Download an offline language for the phone and you can use text to speech.
Do the new SPOT units have rechargeable batteries, or still alkalines? InReach charges by USB Micro.
Jim
Old October 13th 19, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Google search...

e.g. https://www.adventurealan.com/best-s...nreach-vs-spot

The mini is awfully nice to mount somewhere out of the way. inReach quality and reliability is much better.
Old October 13th 19, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

It seems that the Spot X has capabilities that only inReach had before, namely the ability to send and receive messages, not just tracking points and SOS messages. AFAIK, Spot does not send altitude, which inReach does.

I subscribe to the inReach freedom plan ($35/mo), which you can suspend at any time. I need it for 3 months a year, for $105. The cheapest Spot plan is $15/mo plus $20 one-time activation and $25/year. It would take me about 8 years to recoup the cost of the Spot X ($250), which isn't worth it. And my wife wouldn't want to sacrifice altitude reporting. Plus, the tracking points are one-way; you don't know if they were received.

It would make more sense if I used it for more months.

Tom
Old October 14th 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 10:37:36 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:

It seems that the Spot X has capabilities that only inReach had before, namely the ability to send and receive messages, not just tracking points and SOS messages. AFAIK, Spot does not send altitude, which inReach does.

I subscribe to the inReach freedom plan ($35/mo), which you can suspend at any time. I need it for 3 months a year, for $105. The cheapest Spot plan is $15/mo plus $20 one-time activation and $25/year. It would take me about 8 years to recoup the cost of the Spot X ($250), which isn't worth it. And my wife wouldn't want to sacrifice altitude reporting. Plus, the tracking points are one-way; you don't know if they were received.

Tom

SPOT does report altitude now, at least on the website map (not in the Android app). And the model without BlueTooth is now $199.95. Wait till Black Friday...
Old October 14th 19, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 9:27:34 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 10:37:36 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:

Tom

SPOT does report altitude now, at least on the website map (not in the Android app). And the model without BlueTooth is now $199.95. Wait till Black Friday...

But I still hear reports of altitude unreliability. This is supposed to be a safety device, it needs to work reliably. It would be great to hear from folks if they are seeing reliable altitude reports in tracking, and with what model devices.