By 2030, commercial passengers will routinely fly in pilotlessplanes.

Old September 27th 05, 03:01 AM
Bob Fry

Default By 2030, commercial passengers will routinely fly in pilotlessplanes.

Not my statement. See
http://www.longbets.org/4

What sayeth the group wisdom? I think eventually there will be
pilotless aircraft, the question is when.
Old September 27th 05, 03:25 AM
Bob Noel

In article , Bob Fry
wrote:

Not my statement. See
http://www.longbets.org/4

What sayeth the group wisdom? I think eventually there will be
pilotless aircraft, the question is when.

not without a significant advance in the state of the practice
of software engineering.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old September 27th 05, 03:30 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Bob Fry wrote:

Not my statement. See
http://www.longbets.org/4

What sayeth the group wisdom? I think eventually there will be
pilotless aircraft, the question is when.

Not bloody likely for commercial service. Aircraft have to maintain
visual separation in VFR conditions and have to have human pilots to
deal with emergencies -- especially the unanticipated kind, like running
out of fuel and finding a suitable emergency field, or flying through a
volcano plume and losing all four for awhile.
Old September 27th 05, 03:40 AM
Brad Zeigler

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Bob Fry wrote:

Not my statement. See
http://www.longbets.org/4

What sayeth the group wisdom? I think eventually there will be
pilotless aircraft, the question is when.

Not bloody likely for commercial service. Aircraft have to maintain
visual separation in VFR conditions and have to have human pilots to
deal with emergencies -- especially the unanticipated kind, like running
out of fuel and finding a suitable emergency field, or flying through a
volcano plume and losing all four for awhile.

That's assuming VFR will still exist 25 years from now. And if the plane
runs out of fuel, the plane can be remotely flown by an outsourced Indian
pilot in a cubical in Bangalore.

Old September 27th 05, 03:53 AM

And if the plane runs out of fuel, the plane can be remotely flown by an outsourced Indian
pilot in a cubical in Bangalore

You mean "can be glided to a landing by said Hadji in cubicle in
Bangalore" : )

Even with triple redundant systems things can still go kerflooey... I
can't imagine a commercial acft ever not having at least one pilot
aboard. Maybe that'll be the next great cost savings for the airlines.
Single pilot with Mr. Roboto for backup... or do I have that backwards?

Old September 27th 05, 05:56 AM
Skywise

" wrote in
ups.com:

And if the plane runs out of fuel, the plane can be remotely flown by
an outsourced Indian

pilot in a cubical in Bangalore

You mean "can be glided to a landing by said Hadji in cubicle in
Bangalore" : )

Even with triple redundant systems things can still go kerflooey... I
can't imagine a commercial acft ever not having at least one pilot
aboard. Maybe that'll be the next great cost savings for the airlines.
Single pilot with Mr. Roboto for backup... or do I have that backwards?

Would the pilot be named Kilroy?

Besides, someone has to be there to give the computer the three
finger salute when the blue screen of death pops up.

Brian

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old September 27th 05, 06:24 AM
Scott Cunningham

Skywise wrote:

Would the pilot be named Kilroy?

Nah, it'll be Hal Airlines. I can see it now:

"Good afternoon, Seattle Center. Hal 666 checking in at three-two-zero."

"Hal 666, ten right for separation."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, center."

Scott

Old September 27th 05, 09:49 AM
Greg Farris

Technologically, we're just one step away. As soon as clearances are
entered directly into the aircraft's navigation computer, via datalink,
instezad of having to be punched in by the crew, fully automatic
operation will be possible. This will reduce workload for controllers,
who will have direct command,and not have to waste time with
unpredictable human elements.

In reality though, I do not believe the day will ever come when there is
not someone physically on board the aircraft capable of flying it and
landing it safely. There's just no good reason why we would want to do
that.

Once the airlines get pilots' salaries down to bus driver levels, the
"full automatic" system could serve to free one pilot to help with cabin
crew duties, while the other monitors. Later still, the compliment may
be reduced to one pilot only, who, in the course of his normal duties,
never touches the controls.

We will always need someone though to take the blame if something goes
wrong. Pilots are so handy for that.

G Faris

Old September 27th 05, 12:42 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Bob Fry posted:

Not my statement. See
http://www.longbets.org/4

What sayeth the group wisdom? I think eventually there will be
pilotless aircraft, the question is when.

I say this will be obviated by the use of personal jetpacks and flying
autos. ;-)

People can dream, but we have far too many lawyers for this to become a
reality.

Neil

Old September 27th 05, 01:34 PM
Garner Miller

In article , Skywise
wrote:

Besides, someone has to be there to give the computer the three
finger salute when the blue screen of death pops up.

Heh:

http://www.neisg.org/Archive/2004/05.../bluetooth.jpg

--
Garner R. Miller