What a sight...and what a sound

Old July 2nd 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Default What a sight...and what a sound

I thought I'd posted this to RAP but apparently it didn't show up. So
if it shows up twice...

I had been working out in the shop this evening and was beginning to
think about going into the house when I heard what sounded like a
helicopter in the distance, but as it got louder the beat was way too
fast. It got louder and louder and louder...

As I stepped out of the door and looked up I saw it come into view
from over the trees on the north side of the shop. Now I knew why it
was getting louder. There, maybe 1500 to 2000 feet above me was a B17
brightly lit from the side in the golden light from the setting sun.

It made me recall Oshkosh some years back when they had the largest
formation of WWII planes in the air since WWII. There were so many
planes they had to have them come in from 4 directions at 4 altitudes.
The whole place was shaking and you could feel the sound. I doubt
there was a dry eye in the place.

The whole thing started with a reenactment of the attack on Pearl
Harbor followed by silence. Then there was the sound of distant
thunder as the engines began to start. That sound kept building and
building and building until it was an emotion, not just a sound. Then
wave after wave of planes took off. Spitfires, Mustangs, Corsairs,
T-6s, B25s, B17s, B24s and many others, but that was only a small
portion of the display to come as they were joined by planes from at
least 3 or 4 other fields to form that tremendous formation. Even from
their altitude the ground shook and that was only a fraction of the
huge formations of B17s, B24, and B29s that took part in the raids of
WWII.

It's strange how one lone plane flying over can evoke such memories
Old July 2nd 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

We had the EAA B-17 on our field all weekend, with perfect weather (high
70's, no clouds, and no humidity). They gave over 400 rides, and had between
6 and 7,000 tours of the plane- a great turnout.

There were a bunch of T-6's, a T-33, as well as a P-51 on static display.
At one time there were well over 100 people in line to go inside the B-17.

The only downside was that some of the EAA volunteers were on a little power
trip. I rode my bicycle down from my hangar to the ramp, and upon returning
got yelled at by some guy: "where are YOU going?" I told him I was returning
to my hangar, if that was OK with him. He didn't say a word, and I kept on
going- not a great representative.

Yes, everyone's a volunteer, and they were there to protect the ramp and
prevent runway incursions, but some instruction in being polite and
courteous would have gone a long way. They were there to also promote
aviation and generate interest, and a couple of guys who were on a power
trip doesn't foster that attitude. All of the other volunteers were great,
thanking people for coming and when they left, helping people into and out
of the plane, etc.

Anyway, it was a great day to promote aviation and see a piece of history.
Hopefully out of the 6-7,000 we will see some new student pilots.

Old July 2nd 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

We had the EAA B-17 on our field all weekend, with perfect weather (high
70's, no clouds, and no humidity). They gave over 400 rides, and had between
6 and 7,000 tours of the plane- a great turnout.

That is awesome!

Hey, Doc -- when is the Milwaukee Air Show this year?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 2nd 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:08:58 -0700, Jay Honeck
wrote:

We had the EAA B-17 on our field all weekend, with perfect weather (high
70's, no clouds, and no humidity). They gave over 400 rides, and had between
6 and 7,000 tours of the plane- a great turnout.

That is awesome!

Hey, Doc -- when is the Milwaukee Air Show this year?

I was going to suggest the Muskegon Air Fair if you could get across
the pond as it's been a large civilian and military air show for many
years, but unfortunately there is a blurb at 10.20.200.153 saying its
lost money for some time and they are taking a year off.

Old July 2nd 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

No airshow in MKE this year- apparently they couldn't get a headliner,
either Blue Angels or Thunderbirds. Also, according to local rumor, there
was some litigation regarding the actual promoters of the show.

Anyway, recommend Janesville or Lacrosse shows, and I think Rockford also
has a show.

Otherwise, you are always welcome to come by any time.

Old July 3rd 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Viperdoc" wrote)
We had the EAA B-17 on our field all weekend, with perfect weather (high
70's, no clouds, and no humidity). They gave over 400 rides, and had
between 6 and 7,000 tours of the plane- a great turnout.

All of the other volunteers were great, thanking people for coming and
when they left, helping people into and out of the plane, etc.

Hey, that'll be me! g

http://www.b17.org/tour/
Tour schedule

July 6-8 (Thur-Sun)
Minneapolis, MN

EAA Chapter 237
Anoka County-Blaine Airport
Next to (AWAM) American Wing Air Museum, and the tower

http://skyvector.com/#23-117-3-1530-580
16 nm north (@ 12 o'clock) on the MSP Class B sectional

Volunteers get their name put in a hat. Eight(?) lucky ones get to ride to
the next stop. St Cloud, MN

Montblack

Old July 3rd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Good luck with the weather and have fun! Please try to remember my other
comments regarding a few of the volunteers who thought they were the police,
and were obnoxiously heavy handed.

A little more restraint and respect for the visitors would have gone a long
way.

Old July 3rd 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Viperdoc" wrote

Please try to remember my other comments regarding a few of the volunteers
who thought they were the police, and were obnoxiously heavy handed.

A little more restraint and respect for the visitors would have gone a
long way.

They were probably told to keep the visitors from wandering around the
airport. When you told them you were going to your hangar, they then knew
that you belonged there, and let you go.

I was not there, so I realize I don't know how heavy handed he was, but he
probably was just doing as he was told, but could have been more diplomatic.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 3rd 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Exactly, he was doing his (volunteer) job. However, there's a difference
between "excuse me, could I ask where you're going?", and "Hey you- where
are you going?"

He had no authority, and probably actually didn't belong on the airport
himself- no plane or hangar on the field, and no airport ID. He probably had
a lot less right to be there than I did.

Still, it was a beautiful day, and hopefully the 6-7,000 folks who saw the
B-17 actually fly enjoyed the experience. Although it was irksome, one bozo
won't ruin the memory.

Old July 3rd 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Viperdoc" wrote

Exactly, he was doing his (volunteer) job. However, there's a difference
between "excuse me, could I ask where you're going?", and "Hey you- where
are you going?"

Right. Some people are raised in a blunt, rude environment, and will never
have a polite, diplomatic bone in their body. It sounds like you met one.

I hope that everyone in the group is reminded about the right way to
approach situations like this, for future reference.

Still, it was a beautiful day, and hopefully the 6-7,000 folks who saw the
B-17 actually fly enjoyed the experience. Although it was irksome, one
bozo won't ruin the memory.

Good. That is the right attitude, or at least the one I try to take.

My philosophy is to consider the source, and take it for what it is worth.
In this case, the "worth" is very little.
--
Jim in NC