Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

Old October 23rd 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

I recently bought a 1972 ASW-15B. I am on a budget to fix this up.
I'm looking for stuff that works, doesn't look flashly, but fits the
need.

I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

2. PDA device and connections

3. Wing Rigger so I can assemble by myself

4.Gear so I can tow it by myself to the runway

Thank You - Scott Alexander
Old October 23rd 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Oct 22, 7:06*pm, wrote:
I recently bought a 1972 ASW-15B. *I am on a budget to fix this up.
I'm looking for stuff that works, doesn't look flashly, but fits the
need.

I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

2. PDA device and connections

3. Wing Rigger so I can assemble by myself

4.Gear so I can tow it by myself to the runway

Go to ebay for the PDA, -the 3900 series works well for about
$100.00. XCsoar flight software is free and works very well...

http://www.xcsoar.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

For an inexpensive wing rigger check out this link..

http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...rier/LWT-3.htm

Good luck, Scott.

Mike
Old October 23rd 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 22, 9:06*pm, wrote:
I recently bought a 1972 ASW-15B. *I am on a budget to fix this up.
I'm looking for stuff that works, doesn't look flashly, but fits the
need.

I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

2. PDA device and connections

3. Wing Rigger so I can assemble by myself

4.Gear so I can tow it by myself to the runway

Thank You - Scott Alexander

Note that for Sports Class (USA) regional level contests that a PDA
based logger is acceptable. Feed it with a cheap hand held GPS (used
Garmin 12xl or similar) and you can potentially have GPS Nav/logger
for a couple hundred bucks.

Have fun with your '15!

-T8
Old October 23rd 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike125

Have a look at Paul Remdes page - http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/
for PDA /GPS set ups. Many options, many pretty cheap and great
support. Wing riggers are not cheap. www.wingrigger.com looks like a
good choice for bang-for-a-buck but will still run around $1000 with
shipping. I think you could fashion your own tow out gear or have
someone do it for pretty little $. I'd be happy to send you photos of
mine (ASW15) if you'd like.

Mike
ASW15
Old October 23rd 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think you could fashion your own tow out gear or have
someone do it for pretty little $. I'd be happy to send you photos of
mine (ASW15) if you'd like.

Mike
ASW15

Mike that would be fantastic....shoot those pictures to my
email....thank you!

Old October 23rd 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:47:45 -0700, tangoeight wrote:

Note that for Sports Class (USA) regional level contests that a PDA
based logger is acceptable. Feed it with a cheap hand held GPS (used
Garmin 12xl or similar) and you can potentially have GPS Nav/logger for
a couple hundred bucks.

The ASW-15 panel is fairly small and has a very deep glare shield lip, so
using a blind GPS might be an attractive way to have a less cluttered
panel. As you'll be running XCSoar or equivalent on the PDA you're going
to put in all turnpoints etc. on the PDA and will never need to use the
controls on a GPS except to turn it on or off, so using a blind GPS and
putting it somewhere out of sight under the glare shield would make
sense.

Blind GPS units are just plastic blobs with a wire sticking out: no
controls at all. You can mount it on top of the panel instruments where
it can see out through the glare shield.

A Garmin GPS-35 or any of the current "hockey puck" blind GPS units would
work provided their input and output voltages are OK. You need one that
runs off 12v and whose output levels match the PDA, e.g. the GPS-35 HVS
model runs off 12v and outputs RS-232 signal levels, so its compatible
with almost any logger or PDA.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old October 23rd 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Oct 23, 2:06*am, wrote:
I recently bought a 1972 ASW-15B. *I am on a budget to fix this up.
I'm looking for stuff that works, doesn't look flashly, but fits the
need.

I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

Depends what your rules require. If you want a badge-worthy logger,
the cheapest option if you can find it will be something like an EW
model D with an approved GPS, but it will take time to find them on
Ebay.

If buying new, the new EW Microrecorder is well worth considering -
it've very simple, can be fed 12v from the glider's supply and if you
do that it can feed not only the NMEA stuff to a PDA, but also 5v.

2. PDA device and connections

Look into a Palm device from Ebay (depends on what model, something
like the M500 which is b&w is worth looking for otherwise the word
goes that a Tungsten T is the thing to use) and Soaring Pilot which is
free.

3. Wing Rigger so I can assemble by myself

If you know someone who has one (to copy) and someone who can weld, a
bit of bribery might work cheap wonders.

4.Gear so I can tow it by myself to the runway

Same answer as #3, but you have to take great care it will do the job
without damaging the glider. Buying #3 and #4 might cost as much as
the glider did.

However none of the airline pilots I know are broke, or anything like
it!

Old October 23rd 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

On Oct 22, 8:06*pm, wrote:
I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

2. PDA device and connections

Current US contest rules require "category 1" (IGC blessed) or
"category 2" (see the list) recorders except for sports regionals
where "category 3" recorders meaning just a pda software are allowed.
See the rules

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Rules2008Regional.pdf

There is a proposal before the rules committee to allow some
Commercial Off The Shelf (typcially Garmin) units, plus G7towin or
similar software, as category 2 recorders. These would cost about $150
and seem to provide adequate security.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how long category 3 will last, even in
sports class. It's just too tempting to open the file with notepad,
elminate those two fixes in the restricted area, change a few
altitudes from 18101 feet to 17499 feet etc. Loggers that don't make a
G record, which can be too easily spoofed into making one on fake
data, or for which winscore can't verify security via DLLs may not
last long.

With that in mind, if you suspect you'll be in contest soaring for a
while, I'd recommend blowing the bucks on a category 1 or 2 recorder.
This will avoid what everyone else goes through, blowing 3 times the
money on a sequence of "cheap" alternatives that you then abandon.

Otherwise, I'd wait until December to see what the RC comes up with in
the ongoing logger saga.

John Cochrane BB
Old October 23rd 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Since you can't read my email above.... it is liv2soar(at)yahoo.com