Distance Task Opinions?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 31st 03, 10:35 PM
Kilo Charlie

Default Distance Task Opinions?

Some interesting comparisons were recently pointed out to me from a British
friend between the European and US tasking. It seems that more emphasis is
placed upon distance in Europe to the point that we in the US would view it
as impossible task calls. One only has to look at the World contest
recently in Poland or any of the other ones over the past few years that
took place in Europe to see this is the case. I don't think that this is
anything new but would like to get opinions re how this task type would be
accepted here in the US..

Distance Task:

MAT type of task where any TP within the task area may be used with no limit
on the total number of TPs. There must be a minimum distance of X between
each TP, to be determined by the CD based upon conditions and the task area.
There must be an intervening TP. A substantial airport bonus will be given
and a modest bonus given for finishing at the home airfield i.e. so as not
to discourage utilizing paths of lift that might not end at the home field.
No time limitation. Other than those bonuses already mentioned it would be
scored strictly upon total distance flown.

So as to avoid someone saying "but the 15 minute rule already encourages
longer flights!", it is my opinion that the "15 minute rule" has resulted in
not scoring what we state is the purpose of the task (speed over a course)
although it does encourage slightly longer flights by giving added points to
those that fly longer and farther. If you wish to continue with this rule
then lobby the Competition Committee to change the stated goal of the task
which is simply "speed over a course". There is nothing wrong with our
current tasks (but I would drop the 15 minute rule) with scoring based upon
speed but there should be some options for other type of tasks.

I anticipate that some will object to this type of distance task due to long
days with crews picking them up at an airport 2-3 hours away after dark.
Although I agree that it would be difficult to show up without a crew if
this were instituted, practically I would think that the pilot could radio
for their crew to head to some general area if they felt that they would be
landing there thus saving time for both and getting back home at an earlier
hour. It is also my opinion that we have made crews obsolete with the way
we do things now and that maybe this type of tasking would make it a bit
more fun for them but hopefully not quite as grueling as the straight out
tasks of years ago.

I also will anticipate that some will claim that this is little more than a
"mega-PST". I'm not sure that I could argue much with that but it seems
without a time limitation it throws a pretty different light upon strategy
wrt starting during weak lift and ending during the same and maybe away from
the home field.

Finally, although I anticipate the usual flames from those that feel we
worry too much about racing, this task might make the US team a bit more
competitive at the world meets. So what do you all think about this?

Casey Lenox

KC

Phoenix