enough said

Old January 17th 04, 02:51 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"Jarg" wrote:

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Subject: Enough said
From: "Pierre-Henri Baras"
Date: 1/16/04 2:32 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" a écrit dans le message de news:

Your apology is accepted. I can understand why you surrendered. But why
did you
collaborate.?

The cars.
No one can make em' like the 'krauts.

The way things are going you yanks should've collaborated with Japan !!!
That Lexus convertible sure is a beauty!

I'm a Mercedes man myself. 420 SEL as a matter of fact. BTW, do the
French make cars?

Of couse the French make cars. Check out this beauty, gassed up and ready
to run (away)!

http://www.citroen-hy.com/kauppa/2cv-87-1.jpg

I like the tilting headlights best. Next best would probably be one of
the tropical models with the canvas seats. Actually, there used to be a
couple of them running locally. Haven't seen them for a while, though.
Old January 17th 04, 02:59 AM
Mike Marron

Bob McKellar wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:
"ArVa" wrote:

Now, I can't wait for the Al Minyard's "Words of Wisdom" about French cars
being utter crap or France being an enemy... :-)

Cheers from Paris,
Arva

Great thread. WRT French cars being "utter crap," the first car I ever
rode in was a wonderful 1958 Peugeot 403 sedan. Dad bought it used
from some enlisted man on base (Elemendorf) when he was flying
F-102's in Alaska.

He liked the Peugeot so much that he had it shipped from Anchorage
down to Seattle when the Air Force transferred us to Charleston,
South Carolina (assigned to the 444th FIS flying F-101's) in 1963.
I was three years old.

In Seattle, he packed his three boys (aged three, four and five!),
his wife, and whatever household belongings he could fit in the
Peugeot (anything that wouldn't fit inside he tied down on the
roof) and then proceeded to drive that diminutive French car
3,000 miles from Seattle all the way down to Charleston. Amazing.

3000 miles? At one time? In a Peugeot?

That is amazing!

Heh.

And there's never been a more cool television character than Inspector
Colombo with his loyal Bassett hound and his beloved 1959 Peugeot
Cabriolet convertible.

I thought it was a Hillman. Could be wrong, of course.

"Columbo drives a 1959 Peugeot 403 convertible (licence plate # APD
403). He is prone to airsickness and seasickness and he can't swim."

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo

Old January 17th 04, 02:46 PM
KtM

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:08:57 GMT, "Jarg"
wrote:

From: "Pierre-Henri Baras"
Date: 1/16/04 2:32 PM Pacific Standard Time

--
Pierre-Henri Baras
___________________________

Encyclopédie de l'Aviation
http://www.aviation-fr.info

I'm a Mercedes man myself. 420 SEL as a matter of fact. BTW, do the

French
make cars?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Of couse the French make cars. Check out this beauty, gassed up and ready
to run (away)!

http://www.citroen-hy.com/kauppa/2cv-87-1.jpg

Jarg

Well, Im not into bashing French, but they are not classified as cars,
but junkyards

Old January 17th 04, 03:24 PM
Alan Minyard

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:24:50 +0100, "ArVa" wrote:

"Jarg" a écrit dans le message de
m...
"ArtKramr" wrote in message

I'm a Mercedes man myself. 420 SEL as a matter of fact. BTW, do the

French
make cars?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Of couse the French make cars. Check out this beauty, gassed up and ready
to run (away)!

http://www.citroen-hy.com/kauppa/2cv-87-1.jpg

Jarg

Clap, clap, clap. Brilliant. Really hilarious. It really comforts you,
doesn't it?

Now, for something a little more solid :
http://www.euronext.com/file/view/0,...9664837,00.pdf. As
even you will probably figure, it's in French but I'm sure clever people
like you who know so well everything about France will have no problem to
understand, even if there is no images included...

Arva

That is a press release from a french "auto maker". What do you expect
from such a biased source? Renault was run out of the US market, as
was Pugeot. Both lacked the quality to compete.

Al Minyard
Old January 17th 04, 03:26 PM
Alan Minyard

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 01:18:02 +0100, "ArVa" wrote:

"Jarg" a écrit dans le message de
om...
"ArtKramr" wrote in message

I'm a Mercedes man myself. 420 SEL as a matter of fact. BTW, do the
French
make cars?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Of couse the French make cars. Check out this beauty, gassed up and

ready
to run (away)!

http://www.citroen-hy.com/kauppa/2cv-87-1.jpg

Jarg

Clap, clap, clap. Brilliant. Really hilarious.

Thank you! Thank you very much! You are too kind. Really!

No need to thank me. It's always a pleasure (not to mention a duty) to
assist people with problems (and believe me, a superiority complex *is* a
problem) and bring a little bit of information to people who obviously lack
some. That's the way we are, we cheese-eating surrendering monkeys. That is,
when we have time between a weapon delivery to one of the last remaining
dictators (but there are fewer and fewer because of you and it takes a lot
of time in a 2CV as the one on your picture), a pogrom down the streets of
Paris or a US flag burning meeting... There are just seven days in a week,
you know?...
What am I saying? Of course you know that, even if the week is not an
American invention... Err, you knew that? I mean, that time was not invented
by an American?... Yes, probably...

Seriously, you guys are pathetic with your clichés...

I'm just pleased I could bring a little joy into your drap and dreary

French life!

LOL! Man, you have no idea. Well, I just wish you the life I have...

Now, I can't wait for the Al Minyard's "Words of Wisdom" about French cars
being utter crap or France being an enemy... :-)

Cheers from Paris,
Arva

Already posted.

Al Minyard
Old January 17th 04, 04:25 PM
Pierre-Henri Baras

"KtM" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
Of couse the French make cars. Check out this beauty, gassed up and

ready
to run (away)!

http://www.citroen-hy.com/kauppa/2cv-87-1.jpg

Jarg

Well, Im not into bashing French, but they are not classified as cars,
but junkyards

Considering the 2CV is over 55 years old, it's quite normal!

--
Pierre-Henri Baras
___________________________

Encyclopédie de l'Aviation
http://www.aviation-fr.info

Old January 19th 04, 05:00 AM
Peter Stickney

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

I'm a Mercedes man myself. 420 SEL as a matter of fact. BTW, do the
French
make cars?

Of couse the French make cars. Check out this beauty, gassed up and ready
to run (away)!

http://www.citroen-hy.com/kauppa/2cv-87-1.jpg

That is a press release from a french "auto maker". What do you expect
from such a biased source? Renault was run out of the US market, as
was Pugeot. Both lacked the quality to compete.

Working as a mechanic on the Renault 15 (Gordini) has been a leading
cause of cognitive disorders. (Not a Transverse-Engined Front Wheel
Drive, but a Reverse Engined setup. With everything else backward, as
well, Whoever thought up the idea that the coolant pump should be the
highest point in the cooling system must have received a Special Medal
from the Engine Block Caster's Union.

When I was instructing in Pursuit and Protection Driving, we used
Peugeots as our school cars. They were cheap, handled reasonable
well, and you didn't feel bad when you broke one.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old January 19th 04, 01:41 PM
Bob McKellar

Peter Stickney wrote:

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

[...]

The quickest, most entertaining car I ever drove was a Renault Alpine.

Of course, having been built as a factory entrant in the Monte Carlo Rally, it was
not quite in stock configuration. ( But it was street legal.)

Bob McKellar

Old January 22nd 04, 02:59 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Bob McKellar writes:

Peter Stickney wrote:

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

[...]

An old Alpine ('60s era)? That is an amazing beast. I'm somewhat
envious. Seems like it would handle a bit like an old Porsche 911.
(Which wouldn't be at all bad, if you stayed awake)

Old January 22nd 04, 01:07 PM
Bob McKellar

Peter Stickney wrote:

In article ,
Bob McKellar writes:

Peter Stickney wrote:

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

[...]

I first encountered it in the mid 70's, when it was long retired as a competition car.
I have a hazy recollection it was in the '67 Rally. It was a hoot! It looked kind of
like a squished Karmann Ghia, with a tiny 4 cylinder water cooled engine in the rear.
Another hazy memory was it was about 1100 cc. The fiberglass body was so thin you could
easily deform it with your hand.

The first time I drove it ( in downtown traffic ) the guy with me said "We're trying to
hold it to 6000 rpm". At the first intersection, when the light changed, I gave it a
"bit" of gas and hit 7000 passing under the traffic light. It had no top end speed,
with the rally gears, but it sure would rev! It also had huge wide tires, and would
turn on a franc.

We made a lot of enemies one night. We stayed out too late and it got dark enough we
had to turn on the lights. Turning them "on" turned on all 6 driving lights and the
folks in the oncoming lane were not pleased.

No cup holders.

I also recall it spent some time as a fugitive, due to some nasty circumstances
involving divorces and bankruptcies. It hid in a nondescript garage in a small town,
awaiting its opportunity to return and terrorize the populace.

Bob McKellar