Tech: Aluminum Forming Question

Old March 14th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Tech: Aluminum Forming Question

Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the turtledeck
access panel seen here?

http://www.steenaero.com/Files/Proje...01385_main.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

Old March 14th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Well it could be a stamped part or you can make a flange by hand using
a flange roller tool witch is basically a peice of flat steel with 2
rollers attached the metal goes between the rollers and you work aroud
the opening bending it a little each time. I haven't used one but I
have made not quite as nice flanges using a peice of wooden dowel with
a slit cut in the end to bend a flange a little at a time.

Old March 14th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Aluminum Forming Question

"Scott Rodriguez" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the
turtledeck
access panel seen here?

http://www.steenaero.com/Files/Proje...01385_main.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

Form blocks would work. You need two, one underneath with the appropriate
radius and one on top to hold it in place. Work it down with at hammer.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 15th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Scott Rodriguez wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the turtledeck
access panel seen here?

http://www.steenaero.com/Files/Proje...01385_main.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

Make a formblock, form over the block. The link shows steps for forming
a part using a formblock. These parts were formed soft then heat treated.

http://www.eaa292.org/noon_patrol/jan_00.html

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.
Old March 15th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Scott Rodriguez wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the turtledeck
access panel seen here?

http://www.steenaero.com/Files/Proje...01385_main.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

That's no different that a flanged lightening hole in a rib except the
angle is 90 deg. It's just a metal stretching operation. You make a
form block and backup block with the required bend radius and angle, and
hammer down with a rubber mallet or you can use something like a small
rolling pin to work the flange down at little at a time (I made a
circular hole flanging tool that uses a double width roller bearing
mounted at an angle in a fly cutter. Mounted in a drill press and
turned by hand, it rolls the flange down like a can opener. You could
do the same thing freehand with a rolling pin.)

John