Resume own naviation on course

Old May 18th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Resume own naviation on course

I'm VFR at 2,500 ft AGL with a course that will in 10 minutes take me
through a Class D airspace. I contact flight following, ATC gives me a
squawk code and says, "Resume own navigation on course. Do not enter
class D airspace."

Huh? If I continue on course, I will go through the Class D airspace.
What did they mean by "Resume on navigation *on course.* Do not enter
Class D airspace."

I asked for clarification twice, but merely got the same sentence
repeated each time.

So I changed course and avoided the Class D airspace. I suppose I could
have gained some altitude and gone over the top.

But I still don't know why *on course* was in the instruction. Any
ideas?

John Hudson Tiner

Old May 18th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm VFR at 2,500 ft AGL with a course that will in 10 minutes take me
through a Class D airspace. I contact flight following, ATC gives me a
squawk code and says, "Resume own navigation on course. Do not enter
class D airspace."

Huh? If I continue on course, I will go through the Class D airspace.
What did they mean by "Resume on navigation *on course.* Do not enter
Class D airspace."

I asked for clarification twice, but merely got the same sentence
repeated each time.

So I changed course and avoided the Class D airspace. I suppose I could
have gained some altitude and gone over the top.

But I still don't know why *on course* was in the instruction. Any
ideas?

Sure. Ignorant radar controller. Lazy too.

Old May 18th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

But I still don't know why *on course* was in the instruction. Any
ideas?

Sure. Ignorant radar controller. Lazy too.

ATC dopes are out there, but it amazes me how rare they are given that most
of them work for a Federal agency.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 19th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

ATC dopes are out there, but it amazes me how rare they are given that most
of them work for a Federal agency.

Uh, does it occur to you that all our soldiers, sailors and marines
work for a Federal agency?

vince norris
Old May 19th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Don't you think "resume own navigation" meant you should do exactly
what you did? If you wanted to go thru their air space, you should have
made that explicit clearance request.

The controller obviously thought you were looking for traffic
advisories and the like, you didn't, as best I could tell, ask for more
than that.

Old May 19th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't you think "resume own navigation" meant you should do exactly
what you did? If you wanted to go thru their air space, you should have
made that explicit clearance request.

"Resume own navigation" is used by ATC to advise a pilot to resume his own
navigational responsibility. It is issued after completion of a radar
vector or when radar contact is lost while the aircraft is being radar
vectored. It doesn't make any sense in a situation where the pilot has not
been vectored.

The controller obviously thought you were looking for traffic
advisories and the like, you didn't, as best I could tell, ask for more
than that.

He doesn't have to ask for more than that. A radar controller is required
to coordinate with the control tower for transit authorization when he is
providing radar traffic advisory service to an aircraft that will enter
Class D airspace.

Old May 20th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The point I was making, perhaps not as well as I should have, is there
was no request by the PIC for permission to enter restricted airspace.
I think the controller's response was pretty much putting
responsibility back where it belonged. In NY airspace it might have
been "Waddaya want from me?"

Wait, that would be from the guy at the deli.

Old May 20th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tony wrote:

The point I was making, perhaps not as well as I should have, is there
was no request by the PIC for permission to enter restricted airspace.
I think the controller's response was pretty much putting
responsibility back where it belonged.

A radar controller is required to coordinate with the control tower for
transit authorization when he is providing radar traffic advisory
service to an aircraft
that will enter Class D airspace without regard to any request by the
pilot.

Old May 23rd 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tony wrote:
Don't you think "resume own navigation" meant you should do exactly
what you did? If you wanted to go thru their air space, you should have
made that explicit clearance request.

And what sort of clearance is required or available for class D
airspace for VFR pilots?

The controller obviously thought you were looking for traffic
advisories and the like, you didn't, as best I could tell, ask for more
than that.

Doesn't sound like that at all. There are other ways to refuse
radar service.