Finally got to fly my new bird

Old August 22nd 03, 04:52 PM
Wayne

Good to know, I'll have to check one sometime to be sure (not that I
dont trust you, I just like hands on).

I like your email mod, remove SHIRt, ha! I'm going to have to copy that.
Wayne

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Wayne wrote:
Not just a hawk. 150, 152, 180. I have had several instructors and

none
every mentioned that before. How often do you get to have the nose

sitting
in the air (such as when the engine is removed) and get to fiddle with

it? I
doubt that most instructors know it at all let alone teach it. They

don't
even teach whether the rods connect frm the rudder petals to the

nosewheel
push, or pull.

I was told that almost all tricycle gerared planes are this way.

Except
like the Grumman with their nosewheel (kind of like a castor wheel) that
turns very sharp. By design though, they straighten themselves.

Not Pipers, either. The nosewheel on Cherokees is connected to the rudder,

so if
you touch down in a crosswind with some rudder in, you'd better neutralize

the
rudder before the nosewheel touches down.

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Dave

Old August 22nd 03, 08:39 PM
Newps

Ben Jackson wrote:

In article ,
Wayne wrote:

Have you looked at the project plane I've been
helping with yet? It's a 63 172 with less than 1000TT and has been sitting
outside for 18 years! Take a peek. http://12.151.5.4/172

Nice project for five grand.

Old August 23rd 03, 04:19 AM
Martin Kosina

Technically he can't ground the plane, but practically speaking he does. The
airplane is unairworthy if there are discrepancies. If the owner is made aware
of the discrepancies, and then flies the airplane he can easily be violated for
flying an aircraft that he knows to be unairworthy. Unless you have an
independent A&P available where the aircraft is, you are captive to the IA once
he starts the inspection.

That's absolutely true, I guess my point was you are in no way
obligated to use the same person to return the aircraft to airworthy
status (many owners don't realize this). Obviously, if this evolves
into some kind of a ****ing match you are in a bad shape, I was
thinking more of a "prior arrangement" scenario where the IA makes a
quick $500 for an inspection he knows will be someone else's problem
later and therefore has no incentive of padding the discrepancies with
things that are really optional (I myself would still like a *list* of
such things anyway, so I can plug away at it as budget allows, not
advocating any deferred maintenance here, that's always false
economics, no doubt).

I know lot of new owners plunge into the first annual with sort of a
resigned attitude, I was trying to point out that as an *owner*, you
still have a lot of say in what gets done to *your* plane and by whom,
don't let the shop intimidate you. Its just business like any other
business, so the usual rules apply, both ways (i.e. don't expect a
free lunch, but you don't owe a living to anyone, either). Nothing
magical about aviation maintenance - many with monetary stake in the
game like to mystify the subject, just like real estate agents and
others who benefit from closed markets with numerous middle-men
involved. The regs are in fact written in a way that gives one many
options how to comply with the basic airworthiness requirements, the
question is how much you own time is worth, as always.

But I do agree that in practice, especially at small airports, the
"hostage" scenario is quite real, so basic references for the shop are
probably useful. If they come back negative, don't forget we are
talking highly mobile property here - no reason to have work done
locally if you plan ahead.
Old August 23rd 03, 04:38 AM
Montblack

Wings?

What's the plan / budget for them? I haven't seen them in a photo.

Tail feathers too?

--
Montblack

"Wayne"
It's not so bad really. Keep checking back, see how we make out.

PS, Less than $5000

Old August 23rd 03, 05:01 AM
Jay Honeck

Wings?

What's the plan / budget for them? I haven't seen them in a photo.

Wayne doesn't need wings, as he is planning to use the fuselage in an
attempt to break the propeller-driven land speed record.

(Hey, don't laugh. It seems to be working for those guys who are modifying
an old F-104 Starfighter fuselage into a rocket car! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Bush finally admits it! noname Military Aviation 1 August 6th 04 11:31 AM
Finally, some real solo IFR practice! Guy Elden Jr. Instrument Flight Rules 0 April 15th 04 03:55 AM
FS - Bird 43 Wattmeter element for Aviation repair Lou Aviation Marketplace 0 March 15th 04 01:27 AM
T Bird - ZackGSD Home Built 1 December 15th 03 01:47 PM
Bird control David Naugler Aviation Marketplace 7 September 22nd 03 03:40 PM