Diamond Altitude by Thermal - where to?

Old July 1st 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Default Diamond Altitude by Thermal - where to?

I'd like to earn my diamond altitude via thermal. Anyone know of an
operation (probably western US) where this can be done?
Old July 1st 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_3_]

Gary Emerson wrote:
I'd like to earn my diamond altitude via thermal. Anyone know of an
operation (probably western US) where this can be done?

Why? (just curious)
You should probably look into areas with wave windows to get into Class
A, unless you can file IFR.

Shawn
Old July 1st 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan

Gary Emerson wrote:
I'd like to earn my diamond altitude via thermal. Anyone know of an
operation (probably western US) where this can be done?

Writing as one who's been soaring from 5281' msl Boulder, Colorado,
since 1977, I imagine any intermountain western site with a wave window
could fit the bill on those not untypical summer days with cloudbases
above 20,000 feet.

Now finding a site that wouldn't require the window might be a bit
tougher...probably California or Arizona.

Oh, to return to the days of 24,000 PCA!

Regards,
Bob - dreaming - W.
Old July 1st 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 1 Jul, 02:15, Gary Emerson wrote:
I'd like to earn my diamond altitude via thermal. Anyone know of an
operation (probably western US) where this can be done?

The three badge climb heights were originally based on european
weather as:

Silver: a good thermal climb
Gold: a good cloud climb
Diamond: a good cu-nim climb

So all you need is somewhere with lots of nice cu-nims...

Ian

Old July 1st 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

There was an article not too many years ago is the SSA magazine of one
enterprising pilot, I think he got all diamonds in one flight.
Minden to Death Valley.. got low and thermalled out.. high enough for
Diamond Altitude.. without getting into Class A airspace.. and flew home.

BT

t...

Old July 1st 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

I asked this question on RAS a couple of years ago
and Arizona and Namibia seemed to make the strongest
cases.

At 05:54 01 July 2007, Bt wrote:
There was an article not too many years ago is the
SSA magazine of one
enterprising pilot, I think he got all diamonds in
one flight.
Minden to Death Valley.. got low and thermalled out..
high enough for
Diamond Altitude.. without getting into Class A airspace..
and flew home.

BT

et...

Old July 1st 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pigro

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:48:20 -0700, "BT" wrote:

There was an article not too many years ago is the SSA magazine of one
enterprising pilot, I think he got all diamonds in one flight.
Minden to Death Valley.. got low and thermalled out.. high enough for
Diamond Altitude.. without getting into Class A airspace.. and flew home.

His name is Sergio Colacevich.

cheers
Aldo

Old July 2nd 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Jul 1, 7:02 am, John Galloway wrote:
I asked this question on RAS a couple of years ago
and Arizona and Namibia seemed to make the strongest
cases.

It would be pretty easy in Arizona, especially around the Grand
Canyon. What is needed is a "wave" window between Valle and the South
Rim. I've seen cloudbases above 20,000 ft up there. Take a 1500' tow
at Turf (elevation 1600') and all you need is a little over 19,500 ft
up near the Canyon..

Easy on a good day (aren't they all?). Plus the trip from Turf (open
again, soon!) to the Canyon and back gives you diamond distance and
diamond goal, if declared right.

Don't ask how I know....

Kirk
66

Old July 3rd 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

On Jul 1, 8:53 am, pigro wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:48:20 -0700, "BT" wrote:
There was an article not too many years ago is the SSA magazine of one
enterprising pilot, I think he got all diamonds in one flight.
Minden to Death Valley.. got low and thermalled out.. high enough for
Diamond Altitude.. without getting into Class A airspace.. and flew home.

His name is Sergio Colacevich.

cheers
Aldo

The article about this flight can be found here (on page 9):
http://www.soaring.ab.ca/ASCent_pdfs/ASCent97-2.pdf. It was originally
published in the Westwind magazine of the Pacific Soaring Council
(http://www.pacificsoaring.org/) but they don't seem to have it online
anymore.

Markus