Group poll: Who is currently logging hours for the A&P?

Old April 10th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Group poll: Who is currently logging hours for the A&P?

Jim Burns wrote:
Bingo! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks Michael

Jim

Agreed! This is really usefull information! Now the hard part... going back and
documenting almost two decades of wrenching on mine and several friend's planes.

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old April 12th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Agreed! This is really usefull information!

I'm glad you find it useful. Here's some more, in no particular order.

Take every opportunity to add more types of airplane/engine to your
logbook. The way to do this is to offer to help out with
owner-assisted annuals. If you're working with the sort of mechanic
who is willing to help you get your A&P through experience, odds are
excellent he also does owner-assisted annuals. When doing an
owner-assist with an inexperienced owner, there is a lot of time spent
showing the owner what to do - and it's boring and repetitive.

So let's say there's an owner-assist on a type you don't have in your
mech's logbook yet. Now is the time for you to help out your mechanic
- you're going to guide the owner through his tasks. Show him how to
get his paperwork together, pull cowlings, clean the engine with varso,
etc. Guess what? That time you're spending with the owner counts,
since you are assisting your mechanic. Maybe you show him how to
change his oil, gap his plugs, etc. You've just worked on another
airplane. Repeat as necessary.

Remember - you are apprenticing. There is no expectation that you're
getting everything done in a reasonable amount of time (for a fully
qualified A&P). Quite the contrary - there is every expectation you're
slow, especially on an unfamiliar airplane. Spend the day hanging
around helping a guy with his first owner-assist annual, and you (a)
get a new type in your logbook (b) help out your mechanic by taking
some of the scut work off his hands (c) help the owner by being the guy
he can ask dumb questions without bothering the mechanic, and (d) get
6-12 hours experience in your logbook. You might even get lunch out of
it. Make sure you photocopy the logbook entries for the annual for
your records.

Everybody wins this way (except the fed who will want to deny you the
chance to take the test - but who cares about him?).

Michael

Old April 14th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Well, Michael, you've motivated me to get started. I have little hope of going
back and logging time from "other" planes that I've helped with over the last 20
years, but I'm going to try and atleast document the 14 years on my own plane.
I also spoke with my mechanic this morning. I've been working with him for about
6-8 years (I have to go back and check). He said that he's written recommendation
letters for a few other people in the past, and he has no problem writing a letter
for me, attesting to all the time I've spent "apprenticing". He's also a close
friend, so I'm pretty confident.
Finally, I ordered the King School's $600 DVD prep course. Might as well go
full bore.

--- Jay

Old April 14th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Please, keep us informed on your adventure Jay!!

I've got plenty of records to document everything that I've done on our
Aztec, plus some work that I've helped one of my partners do on his C170B.

Hmm.... wonder if studying and researching all the logs, AD's, and
inspections on the 182RG I used to take my Commercial and CFI rides in would
count? I spent a BUNCH of time on that! Printed out an entire 3 ring
binder and had it memorized.

Just spent a few hours last night with an A&P/AI who was in the process of
installing a computerized dump door in his Air Tractor for fire bombing.
Very interesting!

jim

. ..