Alon Aircoupe / Ercoupe advise wanted

Old April 17th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Alon Aircoupe / Ercoupe advise wanted

Hi all,

I recently sold my Beech Sundowner because the fixed costs were too
high to justify. Beautiful airplane and I miss her! The plan was to
just rent for awhile, but that's quickly growing old. I've been
toying with the idea of buying a later model Alon Aircoupe for local
fun flying. I can handle the slow speed and low useable weight but am
concerned about the cost to keep it flying.

I'm hoping the Ercoupe experts out there can offer some guidance.

For the sake of discussion assume I am looking at a 1966 or 1967 Alon
Aircoupe, all metal with C-90 engine. A bit of web research has turned
up some onerous Service Bulletins and Airworthiness Directives that
concern me. The ones that are making me shy away a
SB-32 - Wing center section ultrasonic inspection
AD2002-26-02 & SB-31 - Center section corrosion and inspection panels
SB-29-C - Outer wing panel removal and inspection panel installation
SB-18 - Center section Belly skin (may not apply but no date on SB)
From what I can determine all were published from 1999 to 2006. There

may also be more out there that I have not found on a web search.

I'm trying to figure out what it would cost me if I had to have these
SBs and ADs performed. I have to make the assumption that corrosion
would not be found, recognizing that if it is the cost to repair is an
unknown.

Buying a lower-cost to own, fly and maintain aircraft is enticing but
the costs could quickly skyrocket based on what I have read. Yep -
I'm scaring myself! Any information about the cost of compliance with
each of the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

PS: I know I used both "Ercoupe" and "Aircoupe" throughout.
Trying to grab a bigger bite of web searchers!

Old April 18th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'm hoping the Ercoupe experts out there can offer some guidance.

Why don't you navigate to http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm and join the
mailing list there. You will find a wealth of information on
Ercoupe/Aircoupe issues.

Paul
N1431A
Ex Ercoupe guy

Old April 18th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"dae" == daedalusnj writes:

dae For the sake of discussion assume I am looking at a 1966 or
dae 1967 Alon Aircoupe, all metal with C-90 engine. A bit of web
dae research has turned up some onerous Service Bulletins and
dae Airworthiness Directives that concern me. The ones that are
dae making me shy away a SB-32 - Wing center section
dae ultrasonic inspection AD2002-26-02 & SB-31 - Center section
dae corrosion and inspection panels SB-29-C - Outer wing panel
dae removal and inspection panel installation SB-18 - Center
dae section Belly skin (may not apply but no date on SB)
From what I can determine all were published from 1999 to
2006. There

dae may also be more out there that I have not found on a web
dae search.

For all except SB-32, they almost certainly will have been complied
with, so you don't have to do any more work on the plane. Of course
you still need to inspect for corrosion every year or 3 years, but
pulling the wings is easy (the plane still sits on its landing gear)
or the owner may have cut inspection holes.

If one or more ADs haven't been complied, don't even consider the
airplane. The owner has been careless and you don't want that
airplane. Even if you did do them yourself, cutting holes in the wing
is not a demanding, expensive job.

As for SB-32, I doubt many owners will follow through. It is not
mandatory for flight under FAR part 91. I'm certainly going to wait
to see what others are finding before spending the money and time to
do it. It is the most expensive of the lot, with a questionable
marginal benefit.

dae PS: I know I used both "Ercoupe" and "Aircoupe" throughout.
dae Trying to grab a bigger bite of web searchers!

They are both correct. Ercoupe is used for the 415 models, and
Aircoupe for the Alon model.

I bought my Alon almost 5 years ago and have no regrets. A simple,
fun airplane, and my annuals are now $1000 max. I take off the panels
and let the mechanic do most of the other work. There are always some
things to fix, after all these are 40 year old airplanes, but nothing
really expensive.

There are not many Alons out there, as you probably know, so be
patient and keep looking. As another poster said, join the Ercoupe
email list and owners club and get the word out. I just helped a
friend fly his Alon purchase from Texas to California and he got a
good one. Look at the Ercoupe 415 models also just to develop a feel
for what to look for.
Old April 19th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Just a heads up, but if you're looking for a Sport Pilot approved
coupe, only the earliest models qualify. I know the Alons don't and I
don't think that even the 415Es do. Great plane. I've owned the Alon
A2A prototype (N3061G), which was actually made from a leftover Forney.
The cover of the Owner's Manual said, "Forney-Alon-Mooney A2A." It
had the kiddy-seat in the back. Replacing parts like the header tank
were a bear, because you didn't know from which design it came from. I
also ownd a 1949 "G" model (N94405) and a 1946 "E" model (N214). Loved
them all and the Coupe Club is a wealth of information. Parts are
plentiful through Univair (expensive) or on the used market.

Bob Fry wrote:
"dae" == daedalusnj writes:

dae For the sake of discussion assume I am looking at a 1966 or
dae 1967 Alon Aircoupe, all metal with C-90 engine. A bit of web
dae research has turned up some onerous Service Bulletins and
dae Airworthiness Directives that concern me. The ones that are
dae making me shy away a SB-32 - Wing center section
dae ultrasonic inspection AD2002-26-02 & SB-31 - Center section
dae corrosion and inspection panels SB-29-C - Outer wing panel
dae removal and inspection panel installation SB-18 - Center
dae section Belly skin (may not apply but no date on SB)
From what I can determine all were published from 1999 to

Old April 19th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"KSD" == kensandyeggo writes:

KSD Just a heads up, but if you're looking for a Sport Pilot
KSD approved coupe, only the earliest models qualify. I know the
KSD Alons don't and I don't think that even the 415Es do.

Correct, only the 415C/D models qualify, and only if they have never
been anything else. It is possible to change the C/D models to E, and
back again, but then it is not Sport Pilot approved.
Old April 19th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thanks to all for the great advice. I found an Alon A2 that I'm
considering now.

Many thanks!