Confused re transponders and ADS-B

Old June 25th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Confused re transponders and ADS-B

I understand that mode S transponders have unique identifiers, thus
eliminating the need for beacon "codes" as we use them today. Is that
right? Do people flying with mode S today still need to use beacon codes
for compatibility reasons?

TIS travels via the mode S data link. TIS-B uses ADS-B's data link. So
no mode S transponder is required.

So, in an ADS-B world, what's the story on transponders. Is mode C still
required? Does the ADS-B UAT replace a transponder? Something else?

Thanks...

Andrew

Old June 25th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Gideon wrote:
I understand that mode S transponders have unique identifiers, thus
eliminating the need for beacon "codes" as we use them today. Is that
right?

No.

Do people flying with mode S today still need to use beacon codes
for compatibility reasons?

Not for compatibility reasons. Take your average Boeing 757 used by an
airline. The mode S transponder is registered to the N number. The
airline will never use that N number in flight and that aircraft will
fly under a different identification every day.

TIS travels via the mode S data link. TIS-B uses ADS-B's data link. So
no mode S transponder is required.

Right but the transponder will allow others to see you.

Old June 26th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:47:18 -0600, Newps wrote:

Not for compatibility reasons. Take your average Boeing 757 used by an
airline. The mode S transponder is registered to the N number. The
airline will never use that N number in flight and that aircraft will fly
under a different identification every day.

It doesn't need to be this way. The controller could "assign" a "code" to
the mode S id. The aircraft would never need to be involved.

Still, from what you describe it apparently doesn't work that way. Oh
well; I guess we're stuck with those base 8 codes.

I suppose that this does provide the benefit of assuring that the object
on the screen is in fact the aircraft the controller thinks it is.

I'm a little surprised, though. I vaguely recall something about these
being too limited for future applications. Perhaps I misunderstood (or am
misremembering).

TIS travels via the mode S data link. TIS-B uses ADS-B's data link. So
no mode S transponder is required.

Right but the transponder will allow others to see you.

Which "others"?

Does that mean that, as soon as those "others" "upgrade", the transponder
will be a thing of the past? No more beacon codes?

- Andrew

Old June 26th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
Andrew Gideon wrote:

I understand that mode S transponders have unique identifiers, thus
eliminating the need for beacon "codes" as we use them today.

It *could* eliminate the need for beacon codes, but only if everyone
switched to Mode S transponders and all secondary radars were Mode S.

TIS travels via the mode S data link. TIS-B uses ADS-B's data link. So
no mode S transponder is required.

no mode S required for ADS-B (still required for other reasons - for example
a TCAS II system still requires Mode S)

So, in an ADS-B world, what's the story on transponders. Is mode C still
required? Does the ADS-B UAT replace a transponder? Something else?

The ADS-B UAT provides an alternate datalink in lieu of the Mode $ tran$ponder's
datalink.

The transponder is still required at this time. In theory, we could dump
transponders but that would require a change in how aircraft are located and
identified. Numerous issues have to be addressed (no pun), including
problems with spoofing.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old June 26th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Gideon wrote:
I understand that mode S transponders have unique identifiers,

True, they not only have unique identifiers but can also transmit
a settable identification number (such as a flight number).

thus
eliminating the need for beacon "codes" as we use them today.

It might, but ATC still operates in a discrete code based world.
I've got mode S but it hasn't changed squat with respect to ACTC

So, in an ADS-B world, what's the story on transponders. Is mode C still
required? Does the ADS-B UAT replace a transponder? Something else?

Transponders are still required because ATC is ignorant about ADS-B
and so is TCAS.
Old June 26th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:22:33 -0400, Ron Natalie wrote:

Transponders are still required because ATC is ignorant about ADS-B and so
is TCAS.

But only mode C? That is, in an ADS-B world there's no need to upgrade to
mode S?

- Andrew

Old June 27th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:22:33 -0400, Ron Natalie wrote:

Transponders are still required because ATC is ignorant about ADS-B and so
is TCAS.

But only mode C? That is, in an ADS-B world there's no need to upgrade to
mode S?

- Andrew

My crystal ball is cloudy as to whether the FAA is going to continue
to take the political pressure and graft that led to the disaster of
Mode S and TCAS to begin with.