obscure reference to soaring in a movie

Old February 1st 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default obscure reference to soaring in a movie

The movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" includes no soaring
and no gliders, but in one scene there is a _picture_ of a sailplane
hanging on the wall.

http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso..._sailplane.jpg

Can anyone identify the sailplane from the picture? It's white, so
probably a glass ship. T-tail. Trapezoidal wings (straight but not
parallel leading and trailing edges).

Johan Larson

Old February 1st 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Johan Larson wrote:

Can anyone identify the sailplane from the picture? It's white, so
probably a glass ship. T-tail. Trapezoidal wings (straight but not
parallel leading and trailing edges).

Here's a crop of just the framed picture, where I've pushed the
brightness and contrast to make it (a bit) clearer:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/misc/sunshine_sailplane_2.jpg

To me, this looks like it might be a Schweizer 1-35, based on how far
the canopy transparency seems to extend. But, given the angle, we
can't tell much about it, it could be almost anything. The position of
the horizontal stabilizer, and the apparent foreshortening of the
vertical stab, suggests that it was shot from somewhere near the plane
of symmetry, somewhat ahead of directly above. My guess is it was
taken while thermalling. Given the composition, I'd guess it says
"Aldott" on the lower right corner.

Now that I think on it, it looks a bit like one of the four-fold
posters that Soaring Magazine was publishing in the centerfold back in
the mid-1980s. Back when I was in high-school I had the Maupin
Woodstock poster on my wall.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old February 1st 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Watson

I recall such a pic from the mid-80s that was of a 1-35 and the pilot
was clearly recognizable as a woman. That's all I recall - recently
discarded all my 80s era mags.

Old February 2nd 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Earlier, Johan Larson wrote:

[...]

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24- Hide quoted text -

IIRC, the 1-35 was the US Team Sweepstakes prize being flown by the
winner. I thought there was another image with two gliders in it from
above.

Frank Whiteley