Nano logging issues

Old June 25th 12, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Nano logging issues

On a few recent flights I have had some issues with my Nano "freezing up" in flight. I have a Nano connected to my Oudie with the Socket mobile power pack and a goddard cable. Usually it has worked flawlessly with no issues noted. Last two flights at some point the Oudie moving map display "freezes" such that the little glider doesn't move anymore. Oddly enough it seems that the nav boxes continue to update with required L/D data etc. After a few minutes everything starts working again. During this time on my flight yesterday I pulled the Nano out of my side pocket and all 3 lights were blinking, indicating a good GPS location and that it was logging.

However when I look at the trace post flight there is a period of ~2 minutes where no position was logged. Here is the flight yesterday: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=2513934

Check out the area from the 2nd half of my 2nd thermal on course to the beginning of my 3rd thermal on course. the trace seems to get coarse during the 2nd climb and then has a big jump before starting the 3rd climb.

I will note that I noticed this time that the "low battery" light on the socket mobile power pack was blinking, which is strange because it was supposedly fully charged 2 nights before the flight with no use in between. There was no warning given on the Oudie that external power had been lost or that it had switched to the internal GPS, which would happen if external power was lost.

and here is another flight where the same issue occurred:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=2340248

You can see on the OLC barogram where the ground elevation is not shown where the logging issues popped up.

Anyone seen similar issues or have any ideas?
Old June 25th 12, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jjbird

On Monday, June 25, 2012 11:15:01 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
[...]

Maybe it's all the carbon fibre in your glider interfering with the gps?

Did the Oudie freeze and Nano dropout happen at the same time (perhaps try running the Oudie off of its internal GPS and see if the problem recurs)?
Old June 25th 12, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Monday, June 25, 2012 3:21:51 PM UTC-5, jjbird wrote:
[...]

John, I'm pretty sure that the "freeze" on the Oudie corresponded with the wide gaps in no data logged on the Nano. I will check the log that the Oudie made tonight and see if it is the same. I'm not sure if the Oudie logs the external data when it is connected to an external GPS or if it logs its own GPS data.

There is another possibility...both of the flights had their "dead spots" as I was in the vicinity of state highways, K-96 yesterday and K-14 on the flight in May. Perhaps I just got lucky and a semi was travelling by me with a GPS jammer??? I think Steve suspected something like that last year down south. Anyone know what the range is on such devices?

I've had other flights with the same exact hardware setup this year, using the same locations in the same glider, with no issue.
Old June 26th 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Monday, June 25, 2012 3:47:34 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
[...]

OK I looked at the file in the Oudie and it has the same dead area, however, it also shows a higher resolution of waypoints in general, when it is good. It still isn't always 1/second which is what the Oudie is set to but it is better than the Nano, which is also set to 1/second but seems to be more commonly about every 5 seconds-ish. Supposedly the Nano sends data to the Oudie at 1/second too.

I did update the Nano (I think) to the latest software version which it prompted me to do when i plugged it in and ran the config program.

I'm wondering if this is a bad luck gps jamming issue but the Oudie doesn't switch to its internal gps because it is still receiving info from the Nano, it is just flagged as a bad position and therefore not logged? Of course the jamming also affects the internal GPS on the Oudie i'm sure so it has the same issue.

Old June 26th 12, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

so, post software update i set it to start logging at power up, then powered it up. the blinking lights seemed to blink faster than in the past, and the file showed the position of my living room logged every second. perhaps with the old software once per second wasn't really once per second. Perhaps it will now actually send data once per second to the Oudie and the Oudie will take less than between 30 minutes and never to calculate the winds aloft. I can only hope
Old June 26th 12, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glen Kelley[_2_]

Tony, are you sure you have SYM to receive BT/serial from the Nano? Slow wind computation is symtomati
c of oudie using its internal gps. Winds have been spot-on and fast using external gps.
Old July 1st 12, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glen Kelley[_2_]

What yellow box are you referring to?
Old July 1st 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:49:01 PM UTC-5, Glen Kelley wrote:
What yellow box are you referring to?

according to the SYM manual there is supposed to be a yellow box shown on your task line at the point where you can make a Mc0 glide to the finish. I get a green box for the final glide at the current Mc setting but no Yellow box.
Old July 1st 12, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Is there a possibility that;

1) GPS was out of service during this time period? Depending on where
you are flying, there may have been some military exercise going on.
Anyone else report something similar on the same day? But this would
only explain one but not several outages.

2) That something in your ship is causing the problem? Did you add
any electronic device lately? New cell phone? Suggest that you turn
off everything you don't need and see if the problem recurs.

Good luck.

- John
Old July 1st 12, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:11:57 PM UTC-5, JohnDeRosa wrote:
Is there a possibility that;

1) GPS was out of service during this time period? Depending on where
you are flying, there may have been some military exercise going on.
Anyone else report something similar on the same day? But this would
only explain one but not several outages.

2) That something in your ship is causing the problem? Did you add
any electronic device lately? New cell phone? Suggest that you turn
off everything you don't need and see if the problem recurs.

Good luck.

- John

John,

after the software update on the Nano and Oudie and setting baud rate to 19,200 on both the Nano actually started logging once per second and sending data to the Oudie once per second. I could tell while circling that the heading and information was updating much more rapidly than before.

Latest Nano update Ventus2NZ Soaring 6 May 22nd 14 02:46 AM
Nano declarations Mike C Soaring 5 April 25th 12 02:18 AM
Is it best to use an Oudie with a Calibri II or a LX Nano....? Michael Marshall Soaring 8 February 7th 12 04:58 PM
Lx NANO and Windows 7 fcnorton Soaring 9 April 2nd 11 02:45 AM
Nano Logger Ed Soaring 7 September 10th 10 08:32 PM