flying!

Old February 10th 04, 06:10 PM
M. H. Greaves

Default flying!

i read this in a book one night, an extract by Spike Milligan; "flying in
itself is not inherently dangerous; crashing IS"!!
just a little quip, but so true, hadnt thought of it that way!!

Old February 10th 04, 06:33 PM
W. D. Allen Sr.

"Hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror!"

end

Old February 10th 04, 06:57 PM
Mike Marron

"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote:
"M. H. Greaves" wrote:

i read this in a book one night, an extract by Spike Milligan; "flying in
itself is not inherently dangerous; crashing IS"!!
just a little quip, but so true, hadnt thought of it that way!!

"Hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror!"

Personally, I've never bought into either one of those oft-repeated
sayings. Flying IS inherently dangerous and anyone who flies around
"bored" for hours is obviously in the wrong business. I'm never bored
when I fly. Truth be known, I thrive on that low-level feeling of
anxiety I get when flying...

Student pilot--a Cessna pilot

Private pilot--a renter pilot

Commercial pilot--a pilot in debt

Physician pilot--a Bonanza pilot

Helicopter pilot--a doomed pilot

Flight Instructor--starving pilot

A "real" pilot-- a multi-engine pilot

Fearless pilot--a kitplane pilot

Cocky pilot--a fighter pilot

Wheelchair pilot--a former ultralight pilot

Super pilot--a test pilot

Airline Captain--God pilot

A junior airline pilot--a furloughed pilot

Grounded pilot--a broke pilot

Hang gliding pilot--flies in a leg cast

Ex-pilot--a newlywed pilot

Anti-pilot--a homeowner

Supreme Pilot--FAA pilot

Delusional pilot--a Supreme Pilot

Happy pilot--all pilots

Old February 10th 04, 08:39 PM
George Z. Bush

Mike Marron wrote:
"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote:
"M. H. Greaves" wrote:

i read this in a book one night, an extract by Spike Milligan; "flying in
itself is not inherently dangerous; crashing IS"!!
just a little quip, but so true, hadnt thought of it that way!!

"Hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror!"

Personally, I've never bought into either one of those oft-repeated
sayings. Flying IS inherently dangerous and anyone who flies around
"bored" for hours is obviously in the wrong business.....

Mike, you obviously have never experienced the pleasures of an AEW mission where
you flew for an hour and a half to get to your station, then flew racetrack
patterns for 13 hours, then another hour and a half to get home. I did that
more than once out of Otis AFB on Cape Cod to a station just off Sable Island in
RC-121s. You don't know what boredom is until you've done that once or twice.
(^-^)))

George Z.

Old February 10th 04, 10:13 PM
Mike Marron

"George Z. Bush" wrote:

[snip]

You don't know what boredom is until you've done that once or twice.
(^-^)))

Arguing with McNicoll?
Old February 11th 04, 01:21 AM
Krztalizer

Or orbiting while talking to a submarine from a 135 with LWA.

or hanging on two props (other two feathered to increase on station loiter
time) in a P-3 while waiting for a Charlie to make its appearance for 13.6
thoroughly *wasted* hours. Last minute intel update prior to launch showed the
target was in port, thousands of miles away. We still launched, still dropped
barrier after wasted barrier. That was boredom, and as hard as it is to grasp,
that was inflight boredom. Personally, I preferred getting bashed around in
the whiteout conditions at 120 feet, looking through rain squalls for
periscopes in the mist. I always thought of it as my job to take the last
photo prior to impact, so I ended up with dozens of rolls of film of water
rushing by. That made up for all those "loitering DFWs" (Designated Fuel
Waste) flights, like the search for that Charlie.

v/r
Gordon

====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old February 11th 04, 01:50 AM
Mike Marron

(Krztalizer) wrote:
Someone wrote:

Or orbiting while talking to a submarine from a 135 with LWA.

or hanging on two props (other two feathered to increase on station loiter
time) in a P-3 while waiting for a Charlie to make its appearance for 13.6
thoroughly *wasted* hours. Last minute intel update prior to launch showed the
target was in port, thousands of miles away. We still launched, still dropped
barrier after wasted barrier. That was boredom, and as hard as it is to grasp,
that was inflight boredom. Personally, I preferred getting bashed around in
the whiteout conditions at 120 feet, looking through rain squalls for
periscopes in the mist. I always thought of it as my job to take the last
photo prior to impact, so I ended up with dozens of rolls of film of water
rushing by. That made up for all those "loitering DFWs" (Designated Fuel
Waste) flights, like the search for that Charlie.

Oneupsmanship as to whose job was the most BORING. Gotta love it!