337 to install a transponder?

Old December 21st 03, 03:01 AM
Guy Byars

My kt-76 went belly up last month, so my avionics shop installed a used
GTX-27 in my Skylane. They charged me around $1300 for the used transponder
(it was in perfect condition, used only 1 year & removed for an upgrade).
And around $400 for installation. I got out of there for around $1800.

No 337 form, just a logbook entry.

I must confess, the pushbutton transponder code entry is quite nice. Not to
mention the mode C alt display.

Guy Byars

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
how much did you pay for it on ebay ?

$1325.00. New ones are going for $1895, installed (but, of course, I'd
have to fly to Pacific Coast Avionics to have it done for that price!).

My
shop quoted me $200 - $300 for installation, so I figure I saved a couple

of
hundred bucks.

It comes with the tray, connectors, manuals, and a warranty, because it

was
literally in a plane only one day.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 21st 03, 03:57 AM
Jay Honeck

My kt-76 went belly up last month, so my avionics shop installed a used
GTX-27 in my Skylane. They charged me around $1300 for the used

transponder
(it was in perfect condition, used only 1 year & removed for an upgrade).
And around $400 for installation. I got out of there for around $1800.

Did you mean "GTX-327"? If so, great price!

I must confess, the pushbutton transponder code entry is quite nice. Not

mention the mode C alt display.

We were thinking how nice it will be to have an automatic timer that starts
as soon as you flip the master switch on -- talk about making your log-book
accurate! Heck, we could record the actual MINUTES, instead of the
ridiculous "1.3 hour" nomenclature that we all inexplicably use.

Do you use the "flight-timer" to record your log-book time?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Guy Byars

Old December 21st 03, 05:49 PM
Guy Byars

Sorry for the typo, it is a Garmin GTX-327.

I use the memory dumps from my JPI EDM-700 to record logbook time. That
instrument logs time whenever the EGT temperatures are above a certain
treshold, 800F or so. So every few months, I download the data and verify
my logbook from that.

Guy Byars

Old December 22nd 03, 06:18 PM
Kevin McCue

Naw, boats operate in 2 dimensions, airplanes in 3. Airplanes rely on
"cubic dollars" to fly.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old December 22nd 03, 09:11 PM
Ray Andraka

Bob Noel wrote:

In Ah.... proving that what makes airplanes fly is........paperwork!

btw - I thought what makes airplanes fly is lotsa of money.

Relax, you are both right.... *paper* with portraits of dead presidents
on it.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old December 22nd 03, 11:31 PM
Bob Noel

In article , Ray Andraka
wrote:

btw - I thought what makes airplanes fly is lotsa of money.

Relax, you are both right.... *paper* with portraits of dead presidents
on it.

of course!

--
Bob Noel