MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

Old May 16th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

It is close, as TEL is only about 2/3 lead by weight. The molecular
weight of TEL is 323 according to my chemistry book, and the tetraethyl
part is about 116. The net numbers work out as you indicated. The
spcific density of TEL is 1.659 gm/ml.

Old May 16th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

That's indeed quite a bit, huh? If I take a 1/3lb lead ball to a C-206
flyer and tell him that's how much lead there is in his full tanks, I
bet he'll be surprised.

nrp wrote:
A couple of points:

1) My copy of ASTM spec D910 page 0539 states that the allowable TEL
content of 100LL avgas is 2 milliliters per gallon NOT 2 grams per
gallon. This means there will be over 1/3rd pound of lead in an 80
gallon tank of 100LL, plus about 1/5th pound of ethlylene dibromide
scavenging agent.

Old May 17th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"M" wrote in message
ups.com...

That's indeed quite a bit, huh? If I take a 1/3lb lead ball to a C-206
flyer and tell him that's how much lead there is in his full tanks, I
bet he'll be surprised.

How big do you think that ball would be?

Old May 17th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Matt Barrow wrote:

"M" wrote in message
ups.com...

That's indeed quite a bit, huh? If I take a 1/3lb lead ball to a C-206
flyer and tell him that's how much lead there is in his full tanks, I
bet he'll be surprised.

How big do you think that ball would be?

Roughly somewhere between the size of a candy jaw breaker and a big
marble (I know there is a name for the big ones, but since I lost
all my marbles, I can't remember what it is).

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 17th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Matt Barrow" wrote)
That's indeed quite a bit, huh? If I take a 1/3lb lead ball to a C-206
flyer and tell him that's how much lead there is in his full tanks, I bet
he'll be surprised.

How big do you think that ball would be?

"I know, I know. Me. Me. Call on Me!"

http://www.tesarta.com/www/resources...y/weights.html
Lead:
[Cubic foot = 1,728 cubic inches]
710 lbs / cubic foot
1 lb. = 2.43 cubic inchs of lead
x 0.33 lbs. = 0.8 c.i. (cubic inches of lead)

http://www.1728.com/diam.htm
Volume of a sphere ..."I knew where to look it up!"

1.15 inches [Diameter] seems to be close for 0.8 cubic inches.

A 25 cent [Quarter] measures 92% of an inch across. About 15/16 - not quite
an inch. (I squinted because I needed 0.92! g)

..92 [Diameter] into the sphere equation = 0.4 c.i. (x 2) = 0.8 c.i.

So, two spheres, each with a diameter of a 25 cent [Quarter] = 0.8 cubic
inches ...which = 1/3 lb of lead. One lead ball for each side!

Montblack
Time for Gym. Heading outside for my 3 mile walk....

Old May 17th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Matt Barrow" wrote)
[...]

In the words of Don Rickles, "Very good; you win a cookie!" :~)

Old May 17th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"I know, I know. Me. Me. Call on Me!"

http://www.tesarta.com/www/resources...y/weights.html
Lead:
[Cubic foot = 1,728 cubic inches]
710 lbs / cubic foot
1 lb. = 2.43 cubic inchs of lead
x 0.33 lbs. = 0.8 c.i. (cubic inches of lead)

http://www.1728.com/diam.htm
Volume of a sphere ..."I knew where to look it up!"

1.15 inches [Diameter] seems to be close for 0.8 cubic inches.

A 25 cent [Quarter] measures 92% of an inch across. About 15/16 - not quite
an inch. (I squinted because I needed 0.92! g)

.92 [Diameter] into the sphere equation = 0.4 c.i. (x 2) = 0.8 c.i.

So, two spheres, each with a diameter of a 25 cent [Quarter] = 0.8 cubic
inches ...which = 1/3 lb of lead. One lead ball for each side!

So there you have it. We can now legitimately claim that using
unleaded Mogas increases your useful load, too!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 17th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Matt Barrow" wrote)
So, two spheres, each with a diameter of a 25 cent [Quarter] = 0.8 cubic
inches ...which = 1/3 lb of lead. One lead ball for each side!

In the words of Don Rickles, "Very good; you win a cookie!" :~)

How big's the cookie?

Montblack
Radius is all I need... g

Old May 17th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Montblack wrote:
("Matt Barrow" wrote)

So, two spheres, each with a diameter of a 25 cent [Quarter] = 0.8
cubic inches ...which = 1/3 lb of lead. One lead ball for each side!

In the words of Don Rickles, "Very good; you win a cookie!" :~)

How big's the cookie?

....and what's the lead content?
Old May 17th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Dave Butler" wrote)
How big's the cookie?

...and what's the lead content?

Hmm? I thought, in cookies, Pb stood for peanut butter. Drat!

Montblack
"And we talked about some old times
And we drank ourselves some beers
Still crazy afler all these years