Capt. Al Haynes sorta OT.

Old January 1st 04, 04:32 PM

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

be objective about this sort of thing, it is human nature to value
family and friends more than others.

Hope that never changes.

Old January 1st 04, 05:09 PM
Stu Gotts

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 07:31:29 -0800, wrote:

Stu Gotts wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 05:33:05 -0800,
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Capt. Haynes is a retired airline captain, and a sought-after speaker on the
mashed-potato circuit. As such he should set for life, and pretty much
rolling in money.

There are some retired TWA pilots that need to work to make ends meet. There
are some recently retired pilots from "reorganized" carriers who have lost a
good portion of their retirement.

Then, there's those overpaid school teachers in California who retire at 100%,
get COLA increases from a bankrupt state, and who are rolling in dough.~

And should we feel sorry for each and every person who either made a
bad decision in their lives or squandered their savings?

As I say to the major propilots on the field, it would be a real bitch
to have to live on $150K a year. Stop your ****ing and moaning and
get on with life.

No ****ing and moaning from me. I just burns me when you jerks think all airline
pilots make or made $150K per year. That was my point, but you Cessna wannabes are
so jealous of real pilots, your vision is more than slightly clouded.

That is (was) true of some, but certainly not all. At TWA they couldn't break the
$100 K barrier, and the F/Os and F/Es did far worse.

I'm far from a Cessna wannabe and certainly wouldn't want to take the
pay cut in order to become an airline pilot. Fact of the matter is in
my Money Magazine defined "upscale" town of residence, the average
family annual median income is $87.5K. That'll include all the folks
making $45K and all the folks making $500K. Not NYC, where COL is
through the roof, but still located within a major metroplex. That
could be determined to say that in the surrounding area a majority of
regular people are supporting families very well at about $60K per
year. If you, or your crybaby friends can't make a go of it at $100K+
per year, why not subsidize your income with a second job at Home
Depot rather than look down your noses at who you think may be jealous
of your career choice.

It's been my experience that the higher the pay, the more ****ing and
moaning goes on. On my field we have Delta guys at $250K, American
guys at $200K and Southwest guys at $12.00 an hour. The most crying
comes from those who realize that if they can't fly, they're incapable
of surviving. The least amount of crying is from those boys that
struggled, were furloughed for a few years or out of a job completely.
They realize that life does not begin or end flying for someone.
Happy New Year.
Old January 1st 04, 06:48 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote in message ...

No ****ing and moaning from me. I just burns me when you jerks think all airline
pilots make or made $150K per year. That was my point, but you Cessna wannabes are
so jealous of real pilots, your vision is more than slightly clouded.

We're talking about a guy who was left seat on a DC-10 for United however.

Old January 1st 04, 08:39 PM

I think we are missing the real issue here. It's not whether Capt. Haynes
could or should be able to pay for his daughter's treatment. Rather, it is
that our broken health insurance system has once again failed to meet
reasonable expectations. This sort of catastrophically expensive but
nonetheless essential treatment is in fact exactly why we need health
insurance. But the scenario here is, tragically, all too common. It
wouldn't even make the news if not for Capt. Haynes's (well deserved) fame.
The victim, insured through his or her employer, gets too sick to work.
Eventually he or she loses insurance coverage and cannot get a new policy
that will cover the pre-existing condition. It's win-win for the insurance
companies (who help propagate this outrage with massive campaign
contributions to corrupt politicians) and lose-lose for working Americans.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old January 2nd 04, 06:15 AM
Richard Hertz

Yeah, but they only have to work 180 days out of the year and work only 7
hour days and then get retirement plans that are killing the tax payers.

"Stu Gotts" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:59:54 GMT, "Matthew S. Whiting"

Jay Honeck wrote:

Capt. Haynes is a retired airline captain, and a sought-after speaker

on the
mashed-potato circuit. As such he should set for life, and pretty

much
rolling in money.

There are some retired TWA pilots that need to work to make ends meet.

There
are some recently retired pilots from "reorganized" carriers who have

lost a
good portion of their retirement.

That is truly infortunate, but I have a hard time feeling too sorry for
folks that made well over $100K/year and didn't sock away a little on
their own for retirement. I make less than most senior airline pilots
and I'm not planning on having SS be available when I retire nor my
company pension. If one or both are still there, that will be gravey.

Then, there's those overpaid school teachers in California who retire

at 100%,
get COLA increases from a bankrupt state, and who are rolling in

dough.~

I'm not familiar with CA (thankfully!), but in most states teachers make
a LOT less than airline pilots.

And put up with mounds more bull**** for about 10 hours a day and at
least 20 days out of the month.

Old January 2nd 04, 02:48 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Richard Hertz wrote:
Yeah, but they only have to work 180 days out of the year and work only 7
hour days and then get retirement plans that are killing the tax payers.

And how much teaching experience do you have? I'm guessing none by your
response.

Matt