Aircraft storage

Old December 19th 04, 09:03 AM
nuke

How long can an aircraft sit unused before the fuel gums up and contaminates
the fuel system? BRBR

According to Chevron, a year or more should be no problem for avgas.

--
Dr. Nuketopia
Sorry, no e-Mail.
Old December 19th 04, 02:19 PM
Matt Whiting

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

I won't dispute that, but still doesn't make it so. I can call a Ford a
Chevy also, but it doesn't make it so.

Your opinion, but mine is that better than half a century of common usage *does*
make it so. White gas is unleaded car gas.

Of use in the south with respect only to Amoco gas. OK, I guess that
should be sufficient for the rest of the country and world to accept an
incorrect term...

Matt

Old December 19th 04, 05:16 PM
Nathan Young

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:55:14 GMT, "#1ACGuy"
wrote:

How long can an aircraft sit unused before the fuel gums up and contaminates
the fuel system?

snip
I ask because some of these planes seem like they're for sale for over a
year or more, and I wonder what kind of problems they have due to sitting
besides the obvious dry startup with no oil on the cam etc. (as if that
isn't enough of a problem)

My guess is that most planes for sale are still flying regularly.
There are exceptions to this (ramp or hangar queens and owners forced
into selling because of financial distress), but most owners realize
the worst thing they can do to an aircraft is not to fly it.

Regarding storage, you can 'pickle' an engine to allow VERY long term
storage, however as you point out this does not address the fuel
system. Some planes have bladder tanks, and I imagine it is quite bad
for them to sit dry. Probably the same goes for the fuel lines. Not
to mention the gyro instruments, vac pump, and vac lines.

-Nathan

Old December 19th 04, 05:51 PM

Maybe in some circles, but Amoco unleaded gasoline has been called
"white gas"
in the South (at least) since I was born (also at least). It's called

that
because it's clear.

I remember when I was a kid that you could go to some gas
stations and buy "white gas" from a tank in the back room
(with a handcrank pump). We used it in a Coleman stove.
Then we found out that Amoco premium unleaded could be
used as well, so we used it thereafter (easier to find -
dunno if it was cheaper or not). This was in the '50s in
Ohio. BTW I still have that same Coleman stove, and it
still works.

I have heard that you can store avgas for extended periods -
and I have a way of finding out. I have a trail bike that
has been in storage for a long time (over 10 years). I always
ran it on avgas, and it still has some in the tank. When
I can find a battery for it I'll try starting it and let
you know what happens (was planning to get it going again
anyway).

David Johnson

Old December 19th 04, 10:01 PM
#1ACGuy

Thanks. I'm just trying to get an idea of how avgas stores. I did find some
useful info on the Chevron site.
FWIW, I grew up in Ohio, and remember some stations selling white gas from a
small tank in the back, which I always related to the likes of Coleman fuel.
What I do know for sure, is that seasonal use small engines such as snow
blowers, lawn mowers, or rototillers would be fine after long term storage
as long as we used white gas in them. I remember several neighbors trying
this with gasoline, and no go. Answer from the shops that had to repair
their stuff was always 'shoulda used white gas'. Today I just treat the fuel
in my motorcycles with Sta-bil. People on the motorcycle boards that live in
cold weather areas say that the regular unleaded fuel they get is even
shorter lived today than it was in years past, so they make sure to use
Sta-bil. I don't think anyone uses white gas anymore. Av gas just seems so
much more refined. It quickly evaperates without any lingering smell,
similar to lantern fuel. I don't know how people that run auto gas in their
planes keep everything from smelling like gas all the time. For instance, I
sure wouldn't want to put my fuel sampling cup back in my flight bag after
sumping tanks with auto fuel in them. Seems like everything in the bag and
the plane itself would smell like gas for weeks. Av gas, no problem, no
smell.
Alex

Old December 19th 04, 10:07 PM
nuke

Of use in the south with respect only to Amoco gas. OK, I guess that
should be sufficient for the rest of the country and world to accept an
incorrect term...

Matt BRBR

Grew up in the south. Never heard of that one before. White gas is for camp
stoves.

Old December 20th 04, 02:41 PM
Rich

Don't they call Bass "Trout" in some places in the South, too?

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

I won't dispute that, but still doesn't make it so. I can call a Ford a
Chevy also, but it doesn't make it so.

Your opinion, but mine is that better than half a century of common usage *does*
make it so. White gas is unleaded car gas.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

Old December 20th 04, 02:58 PM
Matt Whiting

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

I won't dispute that, but still doesn't make it so. I can call a Ford a
Chevy also, but it doesn't make it so.

Your opinion, but mine is that better than half a century of common
usage *does*
make it so. White gas is unleaded car gas.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble
enterprise.

Beats me, but that is pretty funny! :-)

Matt