TSA has a fan

Old October 21st 04, 09:44 PM
David Brooks

Default TSA has a fan

I just thought I'd bring it to the group's attention that "Pam.Scott", of
Aviation Institute (but also, apparently, "UNO Library") has made some
*very* good points. Perhaps everyone else should calm down and pay
attention:

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf90/301045_web.pdf

-- David Brooks
Believe!!!!!

Smileys? Moi?

Old October 22nd 04, 01:46 AM
C J Campbell

"David Brooks" wrote in message
I just thought I'd bring it to the group's attention that "Pam.Scott", of
Aviation Institute (but also, apparently, "UNO Library") has made some
*very* good points. Perhaps everyone else should calm down and pay
attention:

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf90/301045_web.pdf

I am not sure what an IFR is in the context of her letter, but she does not
sound all that knowledgeable. She suggests that aliens should plan ahead
before beginning something as complex as flight training but that it is
unreasonable to make them wait before coming to the US, which seems
contradictory to me. Also, I don't follow the argument that we should not
complain because, after all, airport employees have to be fingerprinted. So
what? If they had to have their eyebrows surgically removed, should we cut
off our ears? Both would be just as effective security measures as
fingerprinting. (Look! That guy is a real pilot! He flies with such grace
and skill that the toreadors at TSA awarded him both ears and the eyebrows.
But I digress.)

Old October 22nd 04, 06:35 AM
John Harlow

David Brooks wrote:
I just thought I'd bring it to the group's attention that
"Pam.Scott", of Aviation Institute (but also, apparently, "UNO
Library") has made some *very* good points. Perhaps everyone else
should calm down and pay attention:

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf90/301045_web.pdf

But something has to be done!

Old October 22nd 04, 09:06 AM
G Farris

I'm a moderate here - I believe we have to expect, and even encourage some
rulemaking in light of the things that have happened. 9/11 proved that civil
aviation has become a method of choice for terrorists, and a continuing flow
of information indicates they still concentrate on such methods. The
regrettable incident in Florida, too soon after 9/11, proved to the public
that security lapses can exist in General Aviation, and the general public has
only a vague understanding of the fact that the plane he stole was not similar
to the ones hijacked on 9/11 - and if we're to be honest, GA "could" be used
by terrorists to disperse insidious products over populations. So we should
expect some new rules, and come forth with proposals for security enhancements
of our own - it's the best protection against scapegoating by thick-headed
government agencies.

But fingerprinting? Who can pretend that such methods have any useful or
effective applications? If Muhammed Atta had been fingerprinted before 9/11
are we supposed to believe he wouldn't have boarded the plane? Did you all see
the pictures of those FBI agents "dusting" every piece of debris from the twin
towers for prints? Big job!

Fingerprinting has all the trappings and attributes of presumption of guilt,
and unless I'm missing something, offers little serious or useful application
in modern security enhancement. It really looks like clueless agencies,
spending large sums of tax funds, "pretending" to do something about security.

I hope somebody is dusting those golf clubs - might pick up some prints to
help with some fraud convictions down the road.

G Faris

Old October 22nd 04, 10:04 AM
Peter Duniho

"G Farris" wrote in message
I'm a moderate here - I believe we have to expect, and even encourage some
rulemaking in light of the things that have happened. 9/11 proved that
civil
aviation has become a method of choice for terrorists, and a continuing
flow
of information indicates they still concentrate on such methods.

Same thing could be said for renting U-Haul trucks. But they continue to
operate their business unfettered.

Your "moderation" is ill-placed.

Old October 22nd 04, 02:14 PM
Gary Drescher

"G Farris" wrote in message
The
regrettable incident in Florida, too soon after 9/11, proved to the public
that security lapses can exist in General Aviation,

There was no security lapse in that incident. A student was allowed to
pre-flight an airplane unescorted, shortly before the student was to be
signed off to solo anyway. Preventing such access would have been completely
pointless. Even under some of the more draconian new restrictions (at BED
now, we need to undergo a fingerprint background check in order to have
unescorted access to the ramp), that student would still have had the same
access privileges!

--Gary

Old October 22nd 04, 05:20 PM
John Harlow

concentrate on such methods. The regrettable incident in Florida, too

As far as I'm concerned, the Florida incident only showed how GA really
ISN'T a threat. A damaged office does not warrant such idiotic mandates
from equally idiotic bureaucracies such as the TSA.